Does y'all think the NHL will continue this season?

Does y'all think the NHL will continue this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They are on the conference call noon today with bettman trump etc mcmahon etc nba silver etc and probably making a day out of it like july 1 allowing the teams to get it on again. Play ice hockey and all for television. No need for them to be guaranteed then anymore. Just play and do sports just like other humans are doing their jobs (young). Might be fun again.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports President Donald Trump told NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell that the NFL season should start on time.

The President created a conference call with the United States' major sports league commissioners to comment on the coronavirus and its impact on sports. The President not only believes that the NFL season should start on time but that Americans will be able to attend sporting events by August or September. It's unclear if experts agree with this forecast given we are months away from kick-off. So far, the NFL has stayed on schedule with free agency and the NFL Draft, although adjustments have been made in regards to in-person meetings.

From this note above it would suggest NHL also would be on schedule virus permitting for next season with September the date being sent out as optimistic return for sports.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Simple question sire, is the NHL continue to play this season and we gon get a new stanley cup champion?

I as a mayne think the nhl will continue from like 2.5 months from this day and even regular season games will be played since mcdavid, crosby etc are wanting them real hard. Before the playoffs they mean and I mean. Cause I know ice hockey. Lets see what the whole maple leaf nation thinks of this thang. It's gon be a vote here.
Nah the season is done, and in the meantime till the next season starts, you might want to figure out what Sire means and maybe you'll stop call us Sire's

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
It all depends on how long it will take to get back to somewhat normal. I think the idea or playing in front of fans is a done deal unless it’s the SC Finals.

If we get back to life in mid to late May then yes. 5 exhibition games followed by a 24 team playoff format. Players are all tested and prior to the restart and are isolated in hotels. Same with team staff and trainers. They hire EMS to only work the games. Each round entire team is tested if they move on. We finish up at the end of July beginning of August.

Season starts 2 weeks later, 4 preseason games max.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It all depends on how long it will take to get back to somewhat normal. I think the idea or playing in front of fans is a done deal unless it’s the SC Finals.

If we get back to life in mid to late May then yes. 5 exhibition games followed by a 24 team playoff format. Players are all tested and prior to the restart and are isolated in hotels. Same with team staff and trainers. They hire EMS to only work the games. Each round entire team is tested if they move on. We finish up at the end of July beginning of August.

I for one am not interested in any scenario that doesn’t have fans involved.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Mayne I (me) and the rest of the 19% was so correctamundo. Lately bettman etc have been saying they gon really want to play the full dirt and still the playoffs and give the stanley cup to the best. They bout that money, wellness and dollar mayne. Still getting the tv contract, what! Thangs are changing hard, still months to go. Like in two months we can already be on the ice again, without the crows. Even tsn.nhl first page they say it again, two hours earlier: "Regular season remains top priority". Mayne they hard and I knew it.

Reactions: al secord

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
When everything was shut down last month, I thought this season was done. This past week with the MLB, NBA and NHL all discussing isolated games, and I had a slight glimmer of hope. But thinking deeper about the feasibility of it all, I just can’t see it happening. Almost foolish to think so.

All sports and events in the next few months are either being cancelled or put off a year. But these sports leagues are going to cram 30+ teams in a couple cities at most in the next month or two or three? Fat chance. But it is nice to dream and have hope.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Most large corporate work places have extended work from home to early June.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Most large corporate work places have extended work from home to early June.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Nhl is a goner bro
Out of football baseball, hockey and soccer I would think the NHL is on the thinnest ice. If the Canadian dollar drops too far and the US economy is slow to recover, as some are hoping for, I wonder how many NHL franchises survive? The NFL and MLB will likely survive and MLS has a growing fanbase, but the NHL could be in jeopardy.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Whistler could be a spot. They have done it before.

they could rent out entire hotels. I mean I don’t see availability being an issue.

they absolutely could do something like that. Or have in any arena or city really. If there
Are no fans. What does it matter
Whistler/ Salt Lake

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The biggest problem here is social distancing when it comes to sports being played and re-opening the economy.

Even if Hockey does come back in the summer June-August you have to think they will be played in empty buildings without fans so we will all only get to watch on TV.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The biggest problem here is social distancing when it comes to sports being played and re-opening the economy.

Even if Hockey does come back in the summer June-August you have to think they will be played in empty buildings without fans so we will all only get to watch on TV.
At this point, I'll take that. I'm getting tired of watching old games, poker, or bean bag throwing.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports President Donald Trump told NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell that the NFL season should start on time.

The President created a conference call with the United States' major sports league commissioners to comment on the coronavirus and its impact on sports. The President not only believes that the NFL season should start on time but that Americans will be able to attend sporting events by August or September. It's unclear if experts agree with this forecast given we are months away from kick-off. So far, the NFL has stayed on schedule with free agency and the NFL Draft, although adjustments have been made in regards to in-person meetings.

From this note above it would suggest NHL also would be on schedule virus permitting for next season with September the date being sent out as optimistic return for sports.

Is that like a Contrarian indicator? Meaning there is no chance it starts by then?

----------------------------------

I normally go up North camping and fishing in July... I'm doubting that will happen this year, but I'm also thinking no point in trying for August either.

The main problem here, is that if we are VERY lucky, we get a vaccine in 18 months. Mumps, considered the fastest vaccine to receive approval ever, was FOUR years.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

This is what is gonna happen. It will not feel right without us fans in da stands but bottom line the TV $$$ now dwarfs da arena fan. Da NBA can't afford 2.5B payback this year. They will default too. None of da players or owners want season cancelled. And either do the TV networks. By June MLB NBA and I think NHL will be playing in empty arenas and ball fields. Fans are not likely back in until a vaccine is found. It will be impossible to manage a 20,000 crowd at Scotia. Even 10,000 quite frankly.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Even with the NHL's announcement today, still don't think it's happening. Just way to many logistical issues to sort through to make this feasible.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
If playoffs do happen the nhl needs to gain as much money as possible this season. Are we actually going to have refs favour the leafs for a nice cup run?

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Mayne I (me) and the rest of the 19% was so correctamundo. Lately bettman etc have been saying they gon really want to play the full dirt and still the playoffs and give the stanley cup to the best. They bout that money, wellness and dollar mayne. Still getting the tv contract, what! Thangs are changing hard, still months to go. Like in two months we can already be on the ice again, without the crows. Even tsn.nhl first page they say it again, two hours earlier: "Regular season remains top priority". Mayne they hard and I knew it.
I think the full dirt will be handed out at the end of july.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Don't see any way they make this work. On a side note, I bet some money on the leafs to win the cup, gambling sites must have to refund everybody once this is confirmed right? Was really looking like this was the year, makes this even more bitter; )

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Empty arenas is no problem for me. Just give me hockey!

Also I'm sure they could play music while they play to make it less quite, they do it for lacrosse games and it's a fun environment.

If golf is coming mid June, speculatively, I'm sure hockey would be good come July some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad