Does Toronto make it out of the 1st round next year?

Will the Leafs make it out of the 1st round?

• Total voters

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Oh come on, you're going to blame someone for that when 100% of the people would have agreed with him?
Oh come on...you are going to claim a movie reviewer or one scout as an "expert". The writer wrote his opinion...it wasn't even a poll of experts. What makes him an expert?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
There was no gap to close with boson. We dominated them in tbe the season and it took Boston a comeback in game 7 to win in the playoffs. Leafs just added a franchise center to that team. There is definetly a gap now.

you're right, sorry man. my fault thinkingthat there was a gap between the team that finished with more points (despite the other team having their best season in 50 years) and that put away the other team in the playoffs might've hinted towards a gap.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leaf ranking league-wide in the various "shots against metrics":

All strengths:
CA - 9th worst
FA- 3rd worst
SA - 4th worst
SCA - 9th worst
HDCA - 11th worst

Even strength:
CA - 5th worst
FA - 4th worst
SA - 3rd worst
SCA - 9th worst
HDCA - 11th worst

"Middle of the pack" is stretching things when there's only 8 teams worse than them in SCA and only 10 teams worse than them in HDCA.

They bleed total shots against, and don't exactly make up for it by "limiting dangerous shots" like you claim they do, since they're still in the bottom third of the league in SCA and HDCA.

Though worth noting that 4 free agents gat Left this a July were among the worst possession guys on the team, not unreasonable to expect improvement here

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
you're right, sorry man. my fault thinkingthat there was a gap between the team that finished with more points (despite the other team having their best season in 50 years) and that put away the other team in the playoffs might've hinted towards a gap.
They beat the Leafs in the 3rd period of game 7. Andersen posted a .896 save %.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I find this entire poll ridiculous. On paper obviously the Leafs have one of the best lineups in the entire league so they should make it out of the 1st round. In reality the playoffs are a crapshoot so of course there's a good possibility they won't. But you could say the same about any good team; that's how hockey works. You shouldn't be voting no based on their lineup that's for sure.

Reactions: Notsince67

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Though worth noting that 4 free agents gat Left this a July were among the worst possession guys on the team, not unreasonable to expect improvement here

Actually they weren't among the worst possession guys on the team, but they were sheltered - both in terms of QoC and zone starts - so you wouldn't expect them to have poor possession numbers.

Reactions: Liminality

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
JVR/Bozak were both top 4 in even strength possession though?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Who knows, if they match with the Bruins or Tampa it could go either way.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Two years in a row the Leafs have had the most difficult first round opponent of all the teams in the first round.

Because the Atlantic division is so stacked at the top, that probably won't change again, and they'll be playing either the Bolts or Bruins(if they don't win the division).

This is why winning the division is huge for them, and at the very least, grabbing home ice advantage.

Kinda funny, the last few years the Leafs and Jackets both had 105 or more points and started a series on the road...

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
As the poster you quoted stated, he's the reason why the Leafs got to Game 7...

I don't think so, but that's my opinion.

Andersen let in a lot of bad goals in the last playoffs, he didn't making the timely saves that the team needed.

Now the Leafs depended on him a lot during the season, so maybe he was fatigued.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Nope it did not, not in the sense you're desperately trying to give to it...

Where are my Advils ?

Careful beauchamp, sounds like this online debate might be a bit too much for your brain to handle. Don't want you getting hurt now

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Yes and I am saying the opposite which is why I replied. Andersen was terrible.
But he's still the reason they got to Game 7.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

"Ooh, ooh, he was terrible. We would have won the series if he had been as good as in games 3, 5 and 6..."

:blush:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad