Does Toronto make it out of the 1st round next year?

Will the Leafs make it out of the 1st round?

• Total voters

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The leafs could have won either series they were in the last two years, they were close that happens.

I’m not talking about their total points making them the best team ever, I’m just saying that a team that finishes with 105 points and starting on the road in the first round is kind of bad luck.

Home ice was huge in the Boston series.

But this is a young team and their window is more open than the vast majority of teams, it is what it is.
Not saying the Leafs havent had tough draws, they definitely have. But it'll make them better in the long run. Getting wrecked by Ottawa in 07 and then Detroit in 08 taught the pens how to win. Much prefer that than some cupcake draws.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The Leafs got top goaltending in the league? Andersen with an .896 is the reason it went 7 for the Leafs?

sounds like something stronger than Advil is being consumed in this thread.
Have you tried to follow the meanders of logic of the person ?

You would need something stronger.

And please don't twist what I wrote.

Andersen's play in games 3, 5 and 6 is part of the reason why the Leafs got to Game 7.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
bruins 30 something guys (and 40 something guy) all get a year older.
they did nothing in UFA, and also lost nash

the leafs from last year plus continued growth from the big 3 + tavares will be enough to get em to at least tampa.
tampa has to be the favorite this year but they are in absolute cap hell next year.

people like to talk about the leafs with 35+ left next year

tampa has 13mil and only 12 players signed. point, gourde, stralman...sergachev and vasilevskiy the year after

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Are you making up correlations? Please don't touch the stats if you are clueless
From Goalie Stats - Corsica Hockey
High Danger shots against
Toronto=25
Tampa=43
Washington=93
Boston= 51

hard to trust anyone biased enough to have a name like 'not since 67'

go back to dreaming about matthews leaving the leafs lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
hard to trust anyone biased enough to have a name like 'not since 67'

go back to dreaming about matthews leaving the leafs lol
[mod] I am pointing out that shots against are useless. When looking at High danger shots against Toronto goalies, the number is favorable.
There is actually been studies that show that low overall shots against goalies hurt their goals against average.
It is a fact.
I am a leaf fan. Maybe you should read the post again

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Garthinater

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Thowe teams went one, two, and three rounds further than the Leafs did in the playoffs. Also, there are more metrics than just hdca. The Leafs got killed in scoring chances against, for example.
Leafs got killed with a silent 1st line and bad goaltending on top of great goal tending my Rask

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Leafs got killed with a silent 1st line and bad goaltending on top of great goal tending my Rask
Their defense bled scoring chances against in the playoffs. The only team that allowed more scoring chances against per 60 minutes were the Ducks, and that's Carlyle's MO.

The Leafs' D wasn't good in the regular season, and that continued in the playoffs. The difference was that in the playoffs, Andersen wasn't good either.

Also, Rask had what, a .904 sv% against the Leafs? He was hardly great.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Something is certainly messing with certain folks' reading comprehension, that's for sure.

The discussion was about the type of goaltending the Leafs got in the regular season to counter this "they finished high in goals against, so the defense is good" argument. Bringing up Andersen's stats over a 7 game stretch doesn't change that.

Doesn't change what? How about bringing up his stats over a larger sample then? I'll save you the time, you get .918. I don't know what you'd call that, but "elite" or "top" isn't it.

I don't even think the Leafs defence is good, but you're barking up the wrong tree there.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Doesn't change what? How about bringing up his stats over a larger sample then? I'll save you the time, you get .918. I don't know what you'd call that, but "elite" or "top" isn't it.

I don't even think the Leafs defence is good, but you're barking up the wrong tree there.
.918 when the league average is .912 ?

The average goalie gave up 7.3% more goals than Andersen.

It's not "elite", but it's not run-of-the-mill either.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
.918 when the league average is .912 ?

The average goalie gave up 7.3% more goals than Andersen.

It's not "elite", but it's not run-of-the-mill either.

He's a midpack starter.

but then again, I'm not the one arguing Andersen's awesome play is why the Leafs goals against is ranked a little higher than the masses would like it to be.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
He's a midpack starter.

but then again, I'm not the one arguing Andersen's awesome play is why the Leafs goals against is ranked a little higher than the masses would like it to be.
Midpack would be average, a bit below average, a bit above average.

Last season .918 vs .912
2016-17 .918 vs .913
2015-16 .919 vs .915
2014-15 .914 vs .915
2013-14 .923 vs .914

That is not midpack.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He's a midpack starter.

The Leafs goaltending last season is a significant reason why their GA was relatively low. Not just Andersen, but also McBackup having a career year. They were a top 5 offensive team, with a bottom 10 defense, and top 5 goaltending during the regular season.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Midpack would be average, a bit below average, a bit above average.

Last season .918 vs .912
2016-17 .918 vs .913
2015-16 .919 vs .915
2014-15 .914 vs .915
2013-14 .923 vs .914

That is not midpack.
They don't realize scoring was quite a bit this year. .4 more goals per game on average than last season. A .918 save percentage now is a .925 or so save percentage 6 years ago.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I think so, but of course it depends who they face in round 1. I think they can take the Bruins in a 7 game series after adding JT. I still feel they need to upgrade their blueline though.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If we go 4 years without a playoff series win, Babcock has to be on the hot seat with Sheldon Keefe ready and waiting.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

.918 was good for 10th in the league this year among starters who qualify (ie. 41 or more GP). I didn't say that was elite, I said it was good. And it is. Being top 10 is pretty damn good.

Plus, "goaltending" includes what McIlhenney gave them as well. The Leafs' goaltending, as a whole, this regular season was top ten in hockey (based on their save percentages). That goes a long way toward covering up for a bottom third team in terms of preventing shots, scoring chances, and high danger chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad