Does Toronto make it out of the 1st round next year?

Will the Leafs make it out of the 1st round?

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It depends so much on matchups so hard to say. The Bruins style doesn’t seem to suit the Leafs as they get out muscled and their defense makes too many mistakes under pressure. I know the series went 7 games but it never really felt like the Leafs were going to get past the Bruins.
But I voted yes as I think there are a lot of teams they can beat in the first round.

Reactions: DaveG

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
The playoffs are a crapshoot and they never go the way fans think they should. ie. you could have a 105 point season and still get stuck playing a team better than you like this year. On paper though, of course this team should be a team capable of making a long playoff run even with no changes to their current D.

member 157595

Way, way too early to have an educated guess but I will say that if we lose to the f***ing Bruins again in the 1st round I'm going to blow a gasket.

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Nah, Leafs won't beat Bruins or Tampa in the first round and I don't think Leafs will be 1st in their division.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Doubt it, their defense is still crap. Their team is soft as butter also, which I think may hurt them in the playoffs

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
They haven't done it since 2004 but since they added JT they have a very good chance to finally move on to the second round. Do you think this happens or does the curse continue?

TIL the Oilers have more playoff series wins than the Leafs since we made it to the finals in 05-06 (Thank you SJS 16-17)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yes.
And LOL at making a big deal out of them not getting out of the first round yet. All of you predicted they would not sniff the playoffs for 5+ years. there was a thread asking if they would make the playoffs in Babcock's 8 years.
What a joke. They were dead last 2 years ago.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
They haven't done it since 2004 but since they added JT they have a very good chance to finally move on to the second round. Do you think this happens or does the curse continue?

Not sure what that has to do with the 2018-19 Leafs.

What curse? The Leafs were bad for a long time after the first lockout. And in the last two seasons they were the lower-seeded team in the first round.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It depends so much on matchups so hard to say. The Bruins style doesn’t seem to suit the Leafs as they get out muscled and their defense makes too many mistakes under pressure. I know the series went 7 games but it never really felt like the Leafs were going to get past the Bruins.
But I voted yes as I think there are a lot of teams they can beat in the first round.
I mean, it felt like the Leafs had a good chance to get past them heading into the third period of game 7, but I know what you mean.

Yes, the Leafs will move on, but playing Tampa or Boston in the first round would make it challenging. I think they can beat both teams but they have a better shot of moving on if a team like Florida surprises and comes third in the Atlantic, or the Leafs win the Atlantic.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Idk probably, maybe. No one knows. On paper it's pretty easy to say yes. Hockey's played on ice though.

Can't wait to read all the valid discussion in this one.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If the top three in the Atlantic stay the same as last season I'd put it at 50/50 (the Bruins are a damn fine team). If they win the Atlantic I'd give them an 80% chance.

Reactions: DrJustice

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Not sure what that has to do with the 2018-19 Leafs.

What curse? The Leafs were bad for a long time after the first lockout. And in the last two seasons they were the lower-seeded team in the first round.

Yeah I’m not sure I understand the curse the Leafs have?

Crosby is a great player. First two seasons: 1 playoff appearance, no playoff series win.

Ovechkin is a great player. First two seasons, no playoffs at all. No playoff series victories till the 4th season.

Leafs by all means have exceeded just about every expectation. Also “Leafs don’t match well with Boston” is BS. Forced Game 7 with Kadri out for three games and liabilities like Bozak, JvR, Komarov and Polak also on the team.

Didn’t most people say after Matthews was drafted that they wouldn’t even make the playoffs for 3-4 years? Well we are so far ahead that playoffs and 100+ point seasons are basically a guarantee now.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
They're a legitimate cup contender now. If you can't make it out of the first round with Matthews-JT down the middle, there's something seriously wrong and their defense is serviceable enough much like Pittsburgh's most recent championship teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->