Does Toronto make it out of the 1st round next year?

Will the Leafs make it out of the 1st round?

• Total voters

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
When you look at the roster it looks like they should easily make it past the 1st round, but games aren’t played on paper, so who knows.

Voted yes in the poll though. Go Leafs!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
His play in games 5 and 6 counts for nothing...

Tough crowd.

A total of 2 games, the Leafs outplayed the Bruins in that series.
At 5v5 the Bruins ate the Leafs alive, and had their way with Toronto. Without Andersen putting up an average of a 0.951 save % and two 100% HDSV% games included in that; the Leafs would have got swept in that series.

Andersen is the cog that had them win a lot of games. I think next year he won't have to be spectacular though.

Reactions: 7even

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yes. As long as one of these things happen:

1. They get the 1 seed in the Atlantic

2. If they get the 2 or 3 seed, they don't play Tampa.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If they get the right seeding/matchup, sure. Or if they can find a way to actually shore up their Top-4 Defence in a significant way.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
It's too tough to say right now. I still think Tampa has the better team and Boston's young players should be even better just from natural progression plus they have prospects that look pretty good that will be competing for any vacant spots.

Toronto got Tavares but lost JVR and Bozak so while Tavares is a massive improvement over Bozak in just about every way, I am not sure that there will be a huge jump in team scoring. It makes TO better but I am not sure if it is enough to make them better than Tampa or Boston. WIth that said, anything can happen when a team or goaltender gets hot in the playoffs. They could go to the finals or they could be out in the first round or anywhere in between.

The only team in their division that I would vote right now that they will win a round is Tampa. Everyone else is too close to call.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
It's too tough to say right now. I still think Tampa has the better team and Boston's young players should be even better just from natural progression plus they have prospects that look pretty good that will be competing for any vacant spots.

Toronto got Tavares but lost JVR and Bozak so while Tavares is a massive improvement over Bozak in just about every way, I am not sure that there will be a huge jump in team scoring. It makes TO better but I am not sure if it is enough to make them better than Tampa or Boston. WIth that said, anything can happen when a team or goaltender gets hot in the playoffs. They could go to the finals or they could be out in the first round or anywhere in between.

The only team in their division that I would vote right now that they will win a round is Tampa. Everyone else is too close to call.

You are using Boston's "Young players should be even better just from natural progression" reasoning but Toronto has better and younger players than Boston who should also be better just from natural progression?

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Two years in a row the Leafs have had the most difficult first round opponent of all the teams in the first round.

Because the Atlantic division is so stacked at the top, that probably won't change again, and they'll be playing either the Bolts or Bruins(if they don't win the division).

This is why winning the division is huge for them, and at the very least, grabbing home ice advantage.

Kinda funny, the last few years the Leafs and Jackets both had 105 or more points and started a series on the road...

"bUt tHE lEAfS aRe oVEraTeD CAuSe tHEy LOsT iN tHe FiRSt rOuNd"

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
They'd better, after all this talk. :laugh:

Given the ridiculous nature of the NHL's current playoff format, though, they're most likely squaring off against either Boston or Tampa in the first round again.

You know, because Bettman logic.

Rivalries.

And so on.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
His play in games 5 and 6 counts for nothing...

Tough crowd.

Imagine if he'd actually shown up sooner in that series, instead of when the Leafs were already on life support.

Could've actually won it earlier, instead of putting them in such a deep hole.

To their credit they still almost got out of it, but that third period of Game 7, the "old" Freddie came back. :laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I'm going to stop you at the bolded text. Toronto's young players should be even better too...

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Nope, they'll miss the playoffs sadly. Their defense is ECHL level, and I don't see how they can recover from losing the powerhouse line of JVR\Bozak.

In reality they should have last year but the Atlantic is the hardest division to get out of in the playoffs.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
T
That's interesting, though:
DhbMrq7XcAAzIZ6.jpg:large

This has Leafs near the bottom for the off season.
This is gibberish. Stupid chart. You can't just switch a player from one team to another and expect the GAR to stay in tact

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad