Does Patrick Roy re-sign Paul Stastny for next year?

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
The probablem is, you're risking the possibility of him not putting up enough points in this three center system because he's playing the defensive role of the three, and then it would be tough to move him at what will surely be at least $5M.

If we could re-sign him at 5 million for a few years would be worth it.

lucsamundy

Jun 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Right now we look like a solid group of forwards and i wouldn't make any changes, but if (when) mackinnon is ready, id dont know where he would fit. Statsny has been very good this year though and i would hate to see him leave as he always seems to make the right play.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That could happen...but it also is worth remembering that in 2-3 seasons a 5 million cap hit will probably be relative to about a 4 million cap hit, or less, if the cap continues to grow. His value will almost certainly drop...but he would not be un-movable.

That's true he won't be unmoveable. If push came to shove they could probably absorb about $1m of his salary, depending on how close against the cap they were.

I'm not sure you decide to re-sign him with plans of likely having to do those things though. Might be better to just go in another direction.

Plus, what the hell assets are they gonna use to get a D man? Hishon and a 1st? That's not gonna get much, expect a rental, and I'd really like them to keep McGinn and Downie. I think they are very important to team toughness in the top 9.

The UFA market won't be any good, and you could at least add whatever you get for Staz to an existing package.

There's just a lot to consider in the Stastny situation. I almost hopes he makes it easy by not dropping below $6M in his asking price.

If we could re-sign him at 5 million for a few years would be worth it.

I think he'll want, and command on the open market at least a 4 year deal, probably more if he hits UFA.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
With the success they have found in their projects such as Guenin and Benoit I seriously don't see the Avs going for either a big UFA (if there is even one) or a big trade. I see them try to keep Stastny and look to mid level upside trades or UFAs plus looking towards the prospect pipeline for possible help there.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We don't need to sign a top pairing guy like Phaneuf or trade for someone like Edler, we just need a reliable vet to hold us over til our prospects are more developed. And a guy like Campbell or Erhoff could be had for something like a 1st+Wilson

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Going into the future with these lines (or similar) would be pretty damn awesome.

ROR-Duchene-PAP
Landy-MacKinnon-Downie
McGinn-Stastny-Tanguay
McLeod-Malone-Bordy

This would require re-signing Stastny and Downie to fairly big deals as they are UFA, but it would set up the top 9 for a while. The next piece that would be needed would be replacing Tanguay, which could be one of Sgarbossa, Hishon, Smith, etc or a decent FA signing.

This would leave the defense weak and require a couple prospects to pan out quickly(especially Bigras), having some smart free agent signings, or a good trade not involving the top 9 above.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Going into the future with these lines (or similar) would be pretty damn awesome.

ROR-Duchene-PAP
Landy-MacKinnon-Downie
McGinn-Stastny-Tanguay
McLeod-Malone-Bordy

This would require re-signing Stastny and Downie to fairly big deals as they are UFA, but it would set up the top 9 for a while. The next piece that would be needed would be replacing Tanguay, which could be one of Sgarbossa, Hishon, Smith, etc or a decent FA signing.

This would leave the defense weak and require a couple prospects to pan out quickly(especially Bigras), having some smart free agent signings, or a good trade not involving the top 9 above.

Still think if it is a 3 line system McGinn-MacK and Landy-Stastny should stay together. the RWs are somewhat interchangeable

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
Still think if it is a 3 line system McGinn-MacK and Landy-Stastny should stay together. the RWs are somewhat interchangeable

I agree with you, no way I would split up Lando and Staz. It's hard enough finding someone who works so well with Staz. They have great chemistry. :yo:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I understand that idea in the short term, but long term MacKinnon is going to be the much better player. Landy and MacKinnon should play together at somepoint, not this year... maybe not next year, but at least by MacKinnon's third year they should be on a line together.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
I understand that idea in the short term, but long term MacKinnon is going to be the much better player. Landy and MacKinnon should play together at somepoint, not this year... maybe not next year, but at least by MacKinnon's third year they should be on a line together.

The only thing with that is that Landy is on our shutdown line. If he plays with Mac does that mean we don't have the shutdown line anymore? Mac doesn't fit that type of role. If we go to 3 pure scoring lines then it makes sense.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The only thing with that is that Landy is on our shutdown line. If he plays with Mac does that mean we don't have the shutdown line anymore? Mac doesn't fit that type of role. If we go to 3 pure scoring lines then it makes sense.

Right now he is on our shutdown line. As a hypothetical let's just say that Stastny leaves after this season, and the Avs bring in a more typical 3rd line center. Does Landy move to the 3rd line just so he can stay in a shutdown role? Not a chance... he would be with MacKinnon on the second line. Landy's role is to score goals and be a good two way player on the 1B line.

I also don't buy that moving Landy would kill our shutdown line. Stastny is very, very good defensively (and the most important defensive player on the line), and Tanguay is above average. McGinn while not a great defender is a very good 3rd line player. That line could still shutdown a vast majority of teams' top lines and contribute plenty of goals.

For this season Landy should stay with Stastny, but as MacKinnon gets more comfortable in the NHL and can handle better defensive assignments, Landy should move to his wing. That might be next season or two from now, but it will happen at some point.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
Right now he is on our shutdown line. As a hypothetical let's just say that Stastny leaves after this season, and the Avs bring in a more typical 3rd line center. Does Landy move to the 3rd line just so he can stay in a shutdown role? Not a chance... he would be with MacKinnon on the second line. Landy's role is to score goals and be a good two way player on the 1B line.

I also don't buy that moving Landy would kill our shutdown line. Stastny is very, very good defensively (and the most important defensive player on the line), and Tanguay is above average. McGinn while not a great defender is a very good 3rd line player. That line could still shutdown a vast majority of teams' top lines and contribute plenty of goals.

For this season Landy should stay with Stastny, but as MacKinnon gets more comfortable in the NHL and can handle better defensive assignments, Landy should move to his wing. That might be next season or two from now, but it will happen at some point.

I hear ya. With that being said, do we move O'Reilly back to center on the third line since he's so dominant defensively?

???-Duchene-Downie
Landy-Mac-PAP
McGinn-ROR-Tanguay

Even in a shutdown role that third line would still score.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I agree with you, no way I would split up Lando and Staz. It's hard enough finding someone who works so well with Staz. They have great chemistry. :yo:

Well, Landy is the kind of elite hard working intensive player making anybody looking better in his line, opening up a lot of space.

Landy is great for Stastny, yes, but is Stastny great for Landy?

I wouldn't split them now but it's questionable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I hear ya. With that being said, do we move O'Reilly back to center on the third line since he's so dominant defensively?

???-Duchene-Downie
Landy-Mac-PAP
McGinn-ROR-Tanguay

Even in a shutdown role that third line would still score.

If Stastny isn't re-signed, I would prefer ROR to move back to center. That said, I think ROR is on LW to stay unless there is an injury to a top 6 center. Asking him to change positions and then change back after a season where he succeeds at the new position, just doesn't seem like a Roy thing to do.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Landeskog will excel with any centerman who cycles the puck well and keeps gap controls to a respectable level. Landy is not at his best in an end-to-end, rushing scenario. This is not his game. Put him with a C who will work the cycle down low, crash and bang, clog the neutral zone, and encourage/enforce short, less-than-10-foot passes on breakouts.

Put it this way. He excelled with O'Reilly, too, for those same reasons. I just don't think he fits Duchene as much as guys like Parenteau do or how Tanguay would(IMO, Tanguay on Duchene's wing makes Matty a 40+ goal scorer).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Landeskog will excel with any centerman who cycles the puck well and keeps gap controls to a respectable level. Landy is not at his best in an end-to-end, rushing scenario. This is not his game. Put him with a C who will work the cycle down low, crash and bang, clog the neutral zone, and encourage/enforce short, less-than-10-foot passes on breakouts.

Put it this way. He excelled with O'Reilly, too, for those same reasons. I just don't think he fits Duchene as much as guys like Parenteau do or how Tanguay would(IMO, Tanguay on Duchene's wing makes Matty a 40+ goal scorer).

I agree. I see Landeskog as Mackinnons future winger on this team

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know Mackinnon is a centreman and that's his future position but if we keep Stastny around I would love to try ROR back at centre and Mackinnon on the wing.
Could you imagine this.

Tanguay Duchene Mackinnon
Landeskog Stastny Radulov(that's right, it'll happen)
Mcginn O'Reilly Parenteau

None of our 3rd line are 3rd line players but that fact would allow each player to be okay playing there. It's upsetting to a hockey player when they know they are good enough to play on the first line but get stuck on the 3rd with players who are beneath them. When top line players play on the "3rd" line with equal players they realize they simply play on a good team and this is the best mix for each player to make the best out of each other.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Taking Downie off and adding someone like Radulov makes this a really soft team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Interesting thinking on Landy on MacKinnon's wing. How would that work? Mack is not really a Stastny or O'Reilly type center.

O'Reilly is not going to be a 3C anymore. I know the whole three scoring lines setup and argument but that's just not where his future is headed. His talents and salary are best utilized on a top line. It's great he can fill in situationally and with injuries. It makes the Avs better that they have options like that. I agree that if Stastny goes they'll fill the 3C spot with someone more traditionally suited to that role, and they won't be expensive either.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Interesting thinking on Landy on MacKinnon's wing. How would that work? Mack is not really a Stastny or O'Reilly type center.

O'Reilly is not going to be a 3C anymore. I know the whole three scoring lines setup and argument but that's just not where his future is headed. His talents and salary are best utilized on a top line. It's great he can fill in situationally and with injuries. It makes the Avs better that they have options like that. I agree that if Stastny goes they'll fill the 3C spot with someone more traditionally suited to that role, and they won't be expensive either.

I always thought Landy and Nate would make a great power line. Especially when Nate starts to figure a few things out, and is better and smarter with his corner work. They'd win all the battles, and Nate would just explode out of the corners with the puck for scoring chances. They'd just need a guy like PAP or Tangs on the other side to feather some nice passes.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

Not sure how they would mesh, Mac would need to become more well rounded as a player, which undoubtedly will.

One reason I want to see Landeskog and Mackinnon eventually play together is because with Mac being a right handed center, it opens up some interesting passing options for both of them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I still want to see how a ROR-Stastny - Landeskog line would do together as our "shutdown" line. They'd be able to shut down any line in the NHL and still dominate possession and create chances.

Stick Tanguay with MacK, Parenteau with Dutchy and then we've still got McGinn and Downie for the other spots to do the dirty work.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
MacK was pretty good on the boards in junior. Once he gets his strength and confidence up I imagine he will be good on the boards in the NHL as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad