Does Patrick Roy re-sign Paul Stastny for next year?

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
I still want to see how a ROR-Stastny - Landeskog line would do together as our "shutdown" line. They'd be able to shut down any line in the NHL and still dominate possession and create chances.

Stick Tanguay with MacK, Parenteau with Dutchy and then we've still got McGinn and Downie for the other spots to do the dirty work.

PAP-Duchene-Downie
McGinn-Mac-Tanguay
Landy-Staz-ROR

Those are pretty good, but doesn't ROR play the left side too? He would have to adjust to the other side. That would be two left handed shots on one line. I don't think ROR would be as effective on the right side being a left handed shot.Nice lines tho for sure.

Last edited:

OldSchoolAvalanche*

I hope we can keep Stastny. How hard is going to be to keep him, ROR and Downie? With all the turmoil with ROR the last couple years does he even want to be a Av at this point?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I hope we can keep Stastny. How hard is going to be to keep him, ROR and Downie? With all the turmoil with ROR the last couple years does he even want to be a Av at this point?

New management this time though for the O'Reilly contract negotiations. Haven't heard any issues between Sakic/Roy and the O'Reilly camp so hopefully the hold out was forgotten about and they'll be more calm minds at work here.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor

I can't see anyone not wanting to be an Av at this point. He plays real well with Dutch and I'm sure they'll get something worked out. Would you make it easy signing a deal with Sacco as coach and Sherman in charge of contract talks. I'd wanna leave too, from Sacco alone.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
PAP-Duchene-Downie
McGinn-Mac-Tanguay
Landy-Staz-ROR

Those are pretty good, but doesn't ROR play the left side too? He would have to adjust to the other side. That would be two left handed shots on one line. I don't think ROR would be as effective on the right side being a left handed shot.Nice lines tho for sure.

Landy has played on the right before. And at some point I'd swap Downie and McGinn, MacGinnon have great chemistry so I wouldn't break it up now, but when he develops I expect MacK to be a greater goal scorer and instigator than Duchene, so stick Downie next to him who's more of a playmaker than McGinn.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
New management this time though for the O'Reilly contract negotiations. Haven't heard any issues between Sakic/Roy and the O'Reilly camp so hopefully the hold out was forgotten about and they'll be more calm minds at work here.

Radar's also older and more likely to take a more central role than last time around, where I feel his agent and dad played a major part in that holdout.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Radar's also older and more likely to take a more central role than last time around, where I feel his agent and dad played a major part in that holdout.

I think part of Ryan's issue last time around was that he thought he could play a more prominent role on the team as well. He probably is much happier playing on the 1st line rather than the 3rd line.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
If Stastny wants to sign, they could easily sign him imo. I can't imagine he wants to leave when the team finally has potential. RoR most likely won't be able to demand 6 million+. He should probably be given Landeskog money and stay on the wing. His size and defensive game translate perfectly to wing.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If Stastny wants to sign, they could easily sign him imo. I can't imagine he wants to leave when the team finally has potential. RoR most likely won't be able to demand 6 million+. He should probably be given Landeskog money and stay on the wing. His size and defensive game translate perfectly to wing.

I see it this way as well. Staz even said recently "you're either part of the solution going forward or you're not" and that this was something management needed to figure out or something to that effect. Seems like he's open to staying.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I think part of Ryan's issue last time around was that he thought he could play a more prominent role on the team as well. He probably is much happier playing on the 1st line rather than the 3rd line.

That's my problem with trading Stastny , If they do trade him it will be probably for a Dman . Trading him will create an open spot in the middle , so you take Radar ,put him on the second line , perfect so far , but doing so you create a problem on the Duchene line . Who's playing with Duchene on his wing ?

Like you said , Radar seems very happy playing first line minutes with Duchene with alot of icetime . Right now both guys have a lot of chemistry playing togetter and i'm not sure i want to make any changes , if it ain't broke don't fix it.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
That's my problem with trading Stastny , If they do trade him it will be probably for a Dman . Trading him will create an open spot in the middle , so you take Radar ,put him on the second line , perfect so far , but doing so you create a problem on the Duchene line . Who's playing with Duchene on his wing ?

Like you said , Radar seems very happy playing first line minutes with Duchene with alot of icetime . Right now both guys have a lot of chemistry playing togetter and i'm not sure i want to make any changes , if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Does MacKinnon not figure into the equation at all?

Yes, it might be too early for him. Ideally Stastny's contract would last one or two more years. That's not the hand we're dealt.

Stastny would be a third line center on this team in two years and perhaps sooner. Why does he stick around for that role and how much can we really afford to pay a third line center with our team's defensive deficiencies?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Yes, it might be too early for him. Ideally Stastny's contract would last one or two more years. That's not the hand we're dealt.

Stastny would be a third line center on this team in two years and perhaps sooner. Why does he stick around for that role and how much can we really afford to pay a third line center with our team's defensive deficiencies?

Stasny's role wouldn't change much. Center the shutdown line and work the 2nd PP unit.

The can we afford it part, yeah the Avs can afford it under the cap. A $5+m defensemen could easily fit in the plans with Stastny. More if contract negotiations went perfectly.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston

Depends if the team stays this good. If they're a top 5 team in the west no way will Mac be ready for such a key role. Stastny could take a short term deal, a home town long term discount deal where he has a manageable cap hit for a third liner, or just a normal fair market deal without a NTC thus giving the team the ability to easily move him if the cap gets too tight. Stastny on a team this talented will look very desirable too other teams. His linemates are no longer Galiradi/Jones/Kobasew.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

MacK arriving will only give Staz more opportunities to provide offense because then we won't have shelter MacK like we don't have to shelter Duchene, so Staz will need to bare less of the shut down burden. And as long as we keep our forward depth he'll still get good wingers. And if not, we can always move Staz to MacK's wing and just have a disgustingly good top 6 with Dutchy and MacK between ROR, Staz, Landy and PAP/Downie/McGinn.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
MacK arriving will only give Staz more opportunities to provide offense because then we won't have shelter MacK like we don't have to shelter Duchene, so Staz will need to bare less of the shut down burden. And as long as we keep our forward depth he'll still get good wingers. And if not, we can always move Staz to MacK's wing and just have a disgustingly good top 6 with Dutchy and MacK between ROR, Staz, Landy and PAP/Downie/McGinn.

It's not that cut and dry though, they'll be giving Mack more ice time, and have to cut down on Stastny's. Assuming they wouldn't want to water down Duchene's as the top center, Stastny's ice time would suffer.

Right now Nate is averaging 11.37 minutes of 5 on 5 ice time compared to 14.11 for Stastny. He's also getting a full minute less on the PP with 1.58 minutes to Stastny's 2.51.

This will have to average out at some point, and assuming they don't want to keep playing Nate like this in the future, Staz will be affected.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I see all of MacK, Dutchy and Staz having very similar minutes in MacK's third season if all goes well. Staz maybe a little less and a little more defensive, but if he's ok with staying with that possibility for 5-5.8, I'd love to have him and he'd still be worth it. And again moving him to the wing like he did when he played with Sakic is always an option as well.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
It's not that cut and dry though, they'll be giving Mack more ice time, and have to cut down on Stastny's. Assuming they wouldn't want to water down Duchene's as the top center, Stastny's ice time would suffer.

Right now Nate is averaging 11.37 minutes of 5 on 5 ice time compared to 14.11 for Stastny. He's also getting a full minute less on the PP with 1.58 minutes to Stastny's 2.51.

This will have to average out at some point, and assuming they don't want to keep playing Nate like this in the future, Staz will be affected.

O'Reilly could always move to the point which opens up more ice time for MacKinnon. Or Downie can have his time cut. Or Benoit. The Avs have also been very fortunate with injuries. At some point, someone in the top 9 will go down. There will always be plenty of PP time to feed Landeskog, Duchene, O'Reilly, Stastny, MacKinnon.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

Paul will probably lose a bit of ice time, but nothing will stop Mac from playing wing on the PP. Duchene clearly needs to be playing center on the PP and if the Avs are able to add a d man with a good 2 way game that can play the PP, there will not be a need for it, but Duchene was not horrible on the point on the PP, could play him there. Point being, there should not be a concern about PP time between O'Reilly, Duchene, Stastny, and Mac, more than enough there.

5 on 5 even the ice time is not something to worry about, as the way the Avs are built, every guy on the top 9 right now CAN play top line minutes, so you can role 3 lines and marginalize the 4th line more and more. The issue/question is will Stastny be OK playing as the shutdown center for the next 4-5 seasons? If the answer is yes, then he will re-sign for a reasonable value and there will not be any issues. If the answer is no, then you have to look at trading Stastny.

Pitt trading Staal a few years ago was about this same basic issue. Ice time, money, and general respect was not why Staal ended up being shipped out. It was about Staal believing that he could do more and Pitt allowing him to get that chance.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think Stastny will return but only for one year. He will sign a 1 year deal with a no trade clause just to see what direction the team goes. If by the end of 2014/2015 we are destined for a cup and he plays a large role in that he will sign a longer deal after that year. If he realizes he is only useful enough to be a shutdown 3rd line centre he will probably move on.

If we have a team with 3 solid lines with the talent equally spread through all 3 i think Stastny will stay since he knows he wont really be a "3rd liner" but he will just be a key piece to the Avs 3 solid lines.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think Stastny will return but only for one year. He will sign a 1 year deal with a no trade clause just to see what direction the team goes. If by the end of 2014/2015 we are destined for a cup and he plays a large role in that he will sign a longer deal after that year. If he realizes he is only useful enough to be a shutdown 3rd line centre he will probably move on.

If we have a team with 3 solid lines with the talent equally spread through all 3 i think Stastny will stay since he knows he wont really be a "3rd liner" but he will just be a key piece to the Avs 3 solid lines.

Why would he risk taking one year contract when he can get contract for guaranteed 25 million+ for 5+ years? Only way this happens, If he's streaky Russian who wants to prove himself for bigger contract(Semin), which he isn't.

Everyone with common sense knows Avalanche is going up. This team will be contender in couple of years(unless Roy fails). No question. We have too much talent to stay bottom of NHL or as a playoff bubble team. That's how I see this team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Just completely speculating since I can't read Paul's mind but I think he is going to want term, security to stay with this team. If he wants to maximize dollars and role then he won't come back regardless. But if signing with the Avs is something he wants then he is going to want 5-7 years to take that bit of a discount to stay. Which is why the decision is truly is Stastny in the long term plans or not.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
Obviously there are two sides to this equation. What the Avalanche are willing to pay him and what Stastny wants in order to stay. We can speculate and make educated guesses about the former, but we really have no idea about the latter. Most of the conversation about the latter is filtered through the perspective of Avalanche fandom and not based on any knowledge of what Stastny would want. Basically, it strikes me as wishful thinking. That doesn't make it inaccurate, but we have to be realistic about the possibility - dare I say likelihood - that Stastny will want to test free agency as this will be the only opportunity he has to do so while he's in his prime.

Quite frankly, a lot of things will have to fall in place perfectly if we want to be able to retain Stastny long-term without him taking a hometown discount, especially if he demands a NTC as part of his next contract.

What's best for the Avalanche organization is dependent on a lot of different factors.

1. As MacK improves, the need for a defensive shutdown center with Stastny's offensive upside declines. We very well could role two quality NHL lines lead by Duchene and MacK with someone like Jay McClement playing the shutdown third line role. Getting someone of McClement's ilk is not easy, but doable.

2. If Bigras can come in and play like Brodin did for Minnesota last year, it'll fill up the major organization hole we have. It makes retaining someone like Stastny easier as our defense will solidify but remain cost controlled for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, we won't know if this will be the case before we have to make a decision on Stastny. But, if we resign him with a NTC in place, it likely means that Sakic and Roy are banking on Bigras growing into a top pairing defenseman.

3. The salary cap will go up, but I feel like most speculation about a $70 million+ cap seems optimistic. It might be right and I'm sure the Avs internally have a good idea about where it'll be, but our ability to retain someone like Stastny at his market rate will depend heavily on where that cap will end up. Moreover, even if it goes up that much, the going rate for free agents in the future will likewise increase. You cannot project future salaries on a heavily raised salary cap using current salary comparables. Heck, a raised salary cap next year will undoubtedly increase the market rate for Stastny in free agency.

4. If Stastny demands a NTC (I would in his position), the Avs have to weigh the possibility that we'll have to trade for a top flight defenseman with only O'Reilly as a serious bargaining chip. A NTC for Stastny could mean we may have to ship out O'Reilly instead.

I fully expect the Avs to make an honest attempt to retain Stastny under a reasonable, long-term contract. But this entire process is heavily dependent on what Stastny's demands are. If he wants to test free agency, I think the risk of losing him for nothing is too great and we have to trade him. If he demands a NTC, his salary demands will have to be very reasonable lest we hamstring ourselves in the future. But it really comes down to what Stastny wants. I really don't think the Avs have much leverage in this case and the question really isn't, should we resign Stastny but rather will he want to resign with us within our budget constraints.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad