Does Patrick Roy re-sign Paul Stastny for next year?

Avengers*

I could easily see Patrick Roy trading him for a legit number 2-3 defense men.

Ryan O'Reilly can take second line duty waiting for Nathan MacKinnon to develop better.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'm sure he would like to, but given the choice between keeping Stastny or O'Reilly, I'd imagine Roy will go with O'Ry. Let's keep in mind we also have Downie coming up as a UFA and Varlamov/McGinn/Barrie as the key RFAs. Raises will be in order and Landeskog goes from a $950k cap hit to over $5.5m next season. Trading him at some point for a good defenseman could ultimately be the priority.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Maybe. We don't know anything about Stastny's feelings. Perhaps he's just longing for the day he becomes a UFA and can hit a home run. He won't get a home run here, I suspect.

Or he likes what's happening here and wants to be part of a future contender and signs for a slight discount.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I don't see why he wouldn't at least try. The question is going to come down to dollars with Stastny and Roy. I think we can afford Paul at 5-5.5 for another 4-5 years and we could use him.

Avengers*

why do we need to wait for MacKinnon to develop better when he's leading the team in points?

He is getting more points because he is playing against weaker players.

no need to rush the kid. let him do his magic on the third line for a couple years.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Perhaps he's just longing for the day he becomes a UFA and can hit a home run. He won't get a home run here, I suspect.

...and here I was thinking he already hit his home run by making $33,000,000 over the past 5 seasons. :sarcasm:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There is easily room to sign Stastny (as I have illustrated in other posts), and I am sure Roy would like to find a way to keep him in the fold. It just comes down to if they can agree on a price and a role.

IMO it should come down to if Roy wants to continue this 3 line setup or go to a normal top 6-bottom 6. If he does want to stay with the 3 line setup, either Stastny needs to be retained, or somebody has to be ready and able to fill in to the spot that MacKinnon leaves. Obviously having the latter happen is cheaper and would allow the Avs to spend the money in other areas (like defense), but if a player isn't ready or cannot be found for the role Roy is trying to fill, Stastny should be kept.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Whenever a player leaves money on the table they are fools, because the next time they are up for a contract they won't be rewarded for it but the team expects them to leave money on the table again more often than not.

Reversely, I don't expect players who got overpaid once to feel an urge to give a discount for their next deal because, as I said, every time a player leaves money on the table they are fools.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
This is all assuming ROR can be resigned within the range Sakic/Roy are comfortable with.

I think 5.5 for Stastny and 5.75 for ROR is workable for a few years at least.

With Bigras getting the love he did this preseason, Siemens still due for a shot next year, Hejda, Wilson, and likely Benoit all still in the fold, I could see Sakic/Roy being very patient before making a move for a better Dman.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
While Stastny has been amazing with Landy and Tanguay shutting down opposition best lines, I don't think we can afford this luxury next season. Imagine, If we used that 5-6 mil for a defenseman? It would probably help this team more than keeping Stastny. Not to mention ROR>Stastny.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
As long as they don't let him walk come July 1st, I could care less if they re-sign him or trade him for a D.

Losing Downie and Stastny for nothing would be brutal. Just like how losing Drury/Briere pretty much destroyed Buffalo. Although we are in better shape than Buffalo was back then, without Briere and Drury.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I like Stastny and it seems (to me) that he loves this city and organization, but personally I think he is the only "tradeable" asset we have to improve our team in the back end. I would be happy either way (keep him or trade him) because I know he won't be getting the same contract by Sakic/Roy/Co. BUT we need to discuss at what point do we determine how good his defensive game is to our team compared to a defensive player we would get via a trade for him (considering he is the best defensive forward we got)?!

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
While Stastny has been amazing with Landy and Tanguay shutting down opposition best lines, I don't think we can afford this luxury next season. Imagine, If we used that 5-6 mil for a defenseman? It would probably help this team more than keeping Stastny. Not to mention ROR>Stastny.

Who would be a good target? I see only a 6 worth a substantial UFA deal and will be lucky if 1 of those 6 hit the market anyway

notable UFAs
Boyle, Dan
Phaneuf, Dion
Markov, Andrei
Pitkanen, Joni
Zidlicky, Marek
Orpik, Brooks
Mitchell, Willie
Girardi, Dan
Ericsson, Jonathan
Klesla, Rostislav
Greene, Matt
Morris, Derek
Niskanen, Matt
Nikitin, Nikita
Emelin, Alexei

Still kinda early to know who would be available for trade

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Who would be a good target? I see only a 6 worth a substantial UFA deal and will be lucky if 1 of those 6 hit the market anyway

notable UFAs
Boyle, Dan
Phaneuf, Dion
Markov, Andrei
Pitkanen, Joni
Zidlicky, Marek
Orpik, Brooks
Mitchell, Willie
Girardi, Dan
Ericsson, Jonathan
Klesla, Rostislav
Greene, Matt
Morris, Derek
Niskanen, Matt
Nikitin, Nikita
Emelin, Alexei

Yeah, not great options, but I guess trade would be one possibility as well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, not great options, but I guess trade would be one possibility as well.

To be honest anyone of those defensemen (besides Zidlicky and Klesla) would improve our club.

Maybe an ideal situation would be trading Stastny for Kulikov+/Gunnarsson+ while using the capspace to sign Girardi and to re-sign ROR and Downie to long term contracts with some cap space still available?!

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
To be honest anyone of those defensemen (besides Zidlicky and Klesla) would improve our club.

Improve it enough to justify the cost of a UFA contract needed to bring them to Colorado and make up for the quality of play and depth lost with Stastny leaving since it would be his salary (or part of it) used to sign the UFA in this discussion?

That is where I struggle trying to decide what direction I hope the Avs go.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Ideally, I'd trade Stastny + Elliott(ready to give up) + goalie prospect or draft pick for that D and a #3/#4 center.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Whenever a player leaves money on the table they are fools, because the next time they are up for a contract they won't be rewarded for it but the team expects them to leave money on the table again more often than not.

Reversely, I don't expect players who got overpaid once to feel an urge to give a discount for their next deal because, as I said, every time a player leaves money on the table they are fools.

Hejduk took a lot of hometown discounts for the AVs...he wanted to play another season but that loyalty he gave the AVs was not enough to get him another contract. I'm not saying the AVs should've signed him...he's not good enough to remove anyone from the top-9...but as you said, at this point those hometown discounts were kinda foolish of him. It bought him my goodwill and fandom but not much else.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

notable UFAs
Boyle, Dan
Phaneuf, Dion
Markov, Andrei
Pitkanen, Joni
Zidlicky, Marek
Orpik, Brooks
Mitchell, Willie
Girardi, Dan
Ericsson, Jonathan
Klesla, Rostislav
Greene, Matt
Morris, Derek
Niskanen, Matt
Nikitin, Nikita
Emelin, Alexei

I don't imagine Phaneuf/Girardi will be available but both Nikitin and Ericsson could be good cheaper options to improve our D.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

It really depends on what dman you're talking about. I'd rather not dump Stastny just so we can overpay whatever aging, crippled up, over-the-hill defenseman who hits free agency 5-6M. I also don't think we're getting a top 2 dman for Stastny in a trade.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
At this point with how well O'Reilly has transitioned to the wing, I don't think his RFA status affects the decision to re-sign Stastny. I also doubt they have an internal budget at this point that would hamper them from signing both if they were so inclined.

I'd imagine the factors are how much Staz is asking for, and whether they want to pay that for a guy that could either keep MacKinnon from playing a much bigger role in the future, or vice versa.

Then you add the possibility that he could bring in something decent in trade, and the idea that his money could be used for other purposes down the line, while a more traditional 3rd line center could fit his role, and the picture starts to become pretty clear IMO.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
I'm sure he would like to, but given the choice between keeping Stastny or O'Reilly, I'd imagine Roy will go with O'Ry. Let's keep in mind we also have Downie coming up as a UFA and Varlamov/McGinn/Barrie as the key RFAs. Raises will be in order and Landeskog goes from a $950k cap hit to over $5.5m next season. Trading him at some point for a good defenseman could ultimately be the priority.

This.

Sounds like Roy is in love with O'Reilly, so I think it's much more likely that he gets a juicy contract extension before Stastny does. Plus as TPS said, we have UFAs and RFAs to lock up after this season on top of the extension we handed out this offseason. I think the team needs to look to lock up ROR and these others FAs which might mean trading Stastny to clear up cap space and bring back some assets.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Just curious what the lines would be without him. Right now there is three sets of top 6 wingers basically. Does one set get stuck with Mitchell, or a different "cheap" third line center? I think the team would have to identify the wingers they want to keep for Duchene and MacKinnon, and start thinking about moving a winger too. I think McGinn and Tanguay would be the ones who get screwed in this.

O'Reilly-Duchene-Downie
Landeskog-MacKinnon-PAP

Right now the team has an identity, which is a three line deep team. I'm afraid a marginal upgrade at defence at the cost of Stastny would ruin the identity of the team, while not improving the back end enough to overcome the difference.

I wish Stastny would sign for 8 years at 5 or under.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->