Does Patrick Roy re-sign Paul Stastny for next year?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Having a third C like Staz instead of McClement can make our forward core special, it gives us the kind of depth that can just be unmatched up around the league. With that kind of forward core that's so deep, versatile and balanced, our defensemen don't have to be as good as they would on a team like Stl, Nashville or Phoenix. Especially with Varly behind them.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Does MacKinnon not figure into the equation at all?

Yes, it might be too early for him. Ideally Stastny's contract would last one or two more years. That's not the hand we're dealt.

Stastny would be a third line center on this team in two years and perhaps sooner. Why does he stick around for that role and how much can we really afford to pay a third line center with our team's defensive deficiencies?

of course Nate is in the equation , I didnt talk about him on purpose because he only got 11 games exp under his belt . I really think it's too early to put Nate on a second line right now , taken for granted that after trading Statsny, you leave Radar on Duchene's wing .

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
Having a third C like Staz instead of McClement can make our forward core special, it gives us the kind of depth that can just be unmatched up around the league. With that kind of forward core that's so deep, versatile and balanced, our defensemen don't have to be as good as they would on a team like Stl, Nashville or Phoenix. Especially with Varly behind them.

That's not my point and what you wrote doesn't contradict anything that I wrote.

Yes, it is better having Stastny than McClement. But, if the choice is between having Stastny at $6M and McClement at ~$2M and we can use the $4M to upgrade our team elsewhere, it's not so simple.

The real point I was making is that while MacK needs to be sheltered, Stastny is worth every penny of that $6M but when MacK can handle his own and is rightfully paired with Landeskog, the value of what Stastny would provide as a third line shutdown center is not $4M more than what a player like McClement can.

of course Nate is in the equation , I didnt talk about him on purpose because he only got 11 games exp under his belt . I really think it's too early to put Nate on a second line right now , taken for granted that after trading Statsny, you leave Radar on Duchene's wing .

The problem is that Stastny is going to want a longterm contract. At some point during that contract, MacKinnon will supplant him on the second line, which will leave Radar on Duchene's wing (which like you, I believe should be a longterm pairing).

I agree that for the foreseeable future, having Stastny around is a good idea. But whatever decision is made has to take into account what will happen in a couple years when MacKinnon is the second line center. And just as importantly, I'm not so sure Stastny is so eager to play such a role, but on that none of us have a clue.

Make no mistake, I'd love to keep Stastny around at a reasonable dollar amount. I want him as part of the organization going forward. But until we know what his contract demands are (dollar amount and if he'll want a NTC), what I want to happen and what is best for the organization are not necessarily the same.

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That's not my point and what you wrote doesn't contradict anything that I wrote.

Yes, it is better having Stastny than McClement. But, if the choice is between having Stastny at $6M and McClement at ~$2M and we can use the $4M to upgrade our team elsewhere, it's not so simple.

The real point I was making is that while MacK needs to be sheltered, Stastny is worth every penny of that $6M but when MacK can handle his own and is rightfully paired with Landeskog, the value of what Stastny would provide as a third line shutdown center is not $4M more than what a player like McClement can.

Two years from now:

You can always trade him (assuming he does not get a NTC) or move him to the wing. It is a bit of a waste but better than wasting him on the 3rd line.

ROR - Duchene - Parenteau
Stastny - MacKinnon - Landeskog
McGinn - X (Hishon, Sgarbossa, UFA) - Downie

Can you say loaded?
This scenario depends on a few things:
How big is Stastnys caphit?
How do our D prospects develop?
How much money will EJ make on his next contract
How big will Varlys caphit be?
Where will the capceiling be?
Is our D decent enough to spend this much money upfront?

I think there is the possibility of keeping everyone around if we refrain from taking on money in UFA or via trade.

I would rather let Downie walk than lose Stastny tbh...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

It's not that easy to find played like McClement. Apart from him and Yelle, Avs haven't really been blessed with great shutdown centers. Avs supposedly offered him more than he makes in Toronto and he still left and the only one available in free agency of similar caliber was Gordon at $3M/year.

If Stastny wants to stay, that's at least removes some uncertainty and Avs don't have to settle for a Mitchell type player for our shutdown center role because that's all we could get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad