Does Patrick Roy re-sign Paul Stastny for next year?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
they will sign one of them at the deadline, and the next day the phones will be busy to try and trade for the other.

Is anyone else bothered though that Stastny is playing well this year. Nice timing. That's another hesitation I have on the guy. They must have already lowballed him for him to suddenly break out and be good again.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
they will sign one of them at the deadline, and the next day the phones will be busy to try and trade for the other.

Is anyone else bothered though that Stastny is playing well this year. Nice timing. That's another hesitation I have on the guy. They must have already lowballed him for him to suddenly break out and be good again.

Finally he gets to play with proper players. Tanguay and Landeskog >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whatever he's used to play with last few years. I'm sure that makes playing hockey more fun for him.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
I could see several situations where they trade him to a team for a #2 or #3 D man and a third line player.

Avs Get:
Myers (would be my choice for the long term upside)
Ott

Sabres Get:
Stastny
Elliott
Hishon
Conditional 1st 2015 if Stastny does not re-sign

One way trade :shakehead. To add a conditional first is brutal.

The way Myers is playing and the way our dmen are playing, i do not see Myers in our top 6. A guy like Andre Benoit is playing better that Myers and he does not bring a bad contract with him.

Extremelly bad contract, plays like a 5th or 6th .. I would not give Stastny for that package ... a 5th dman with an extremelly bad contract + a 3rd line center for Stastny = NO way.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Avs do not necessarily have to trade Stastny for prospects/picks though. I could see several situations where they trade him to a team for a #2 or #3 D man and a third line player.

If it does come down to wanting a bigger role and cash for Stastny, Buffalo makes a ton of sense to trade with for the Avs.

Myers or Ehrhoff would be huge adds for the Avs for Stastny. Maybe get the Sabres to throw in someone like Steve Ott for the playoff push.

Avs Get:
Myers (would be my choice for the long term upside)
Ott

Sabres Get:
Stastny
Elliott
Hishon
Conditional 1st 2015 if Stastny does not re-sign

O'Reilly-Duchene-Downie
Lando-Mac-PAP
McGinn-Mitchell/Ott-Tanguay
McLeod-Ott/Mitchell-Bords

Hejda-Johnson
Benoit-Myers
Wilson-Guenin

Working Barrie and Malone as the depth players.

For the playoffs you probably look to add a 3rd or 4th line center at the deadline to allow thug buddy Bords to sit and run a 4th line of McLeod-Mitchell-Ott if you get the right 3rd line player.

Swap PAP to play with Mac for the speed factor. Tanguay plays on the 3rd line which is asked soak some of the shutdown time. In certain situations, i.e. a close playoff game where the Avs are looking to hold a lead rather than score a goal, you can shift O'Reilly down to the 3rd line for face-offs and pop Tanguay or McGinn up to the 1st line, though I would try to keep the 1st line intact as much as possible.

Myers IMO suffers a bit from the same thing that EJ does/did, trying to live up to unrealistic expectations. Put him on a 2nd pair with Benoit, who seems to be a steadying unspectacular force on the ice, and let him relax. Wilson and Guenin make a solid 3rd unit.

In the offseason the Avs have options. Trade Barrie for a better long term option as the 3rd line center. Re-Sign Ott or Mitchell if they can take the role on over a 2-3 year span. See if Malone develops into the player he can be. Sign a UFA...

All that said, it sucks that Paul is not signed for one more season past this..... I would much rather be facing the choice of keeping him or letting him go after seeing a full season and a half of Mac. He has some growing to do still and I do fear breaking him if you push too hard early.

Brutal package for Colorado. I would never do this. Myers is not something I want. He would be just another gamble in our defense, we need someone who can play big minutes FOR SURE.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I very much want to keep O'Reilly and think he will stay. But my point is its going to be a much longer process than anyone wants or expects. That doesn't mean the end result will be bad.

I attribute Stastny playing well because the team is decent more than anything. It's not like he has 10 goals or some astronomical stats explosion that can't be explained. It's human nature to have a little extra motivation, just like the Olympic hopefuls all have some extra motivation.

I actually believe that when they got Landy's contract finished that they were done with contracts and are waiting to see how the season plays out before starting up again. I'd actually be pretty surprised if there were any contract extensions prior to the offseason.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I can't blame any athlete for wanting as much money as they can possibly get in the shortest period of time possible. Even if they are a #&@ about it. It's a cut throat business.

How many people here would honestly stay at their company and not take a $2M/year bump somewhere else?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I very much want to keep O'Reilly and think he will stay. But my point is its going to be a much longer process than anyone wants or expects. That doesn't mean the end result will be bad.

I attribute Stastny playing well because the team is decent more than anything. It's not like he has 10 goals or some astronomical stats explosion that can't be explained. It's human nature to have a little extra motivation, just like the Olympic hopefuls all have some extra motivation.

I actually believe that when they got Landy's contract finished that they were done with contracts and are waiting to see how the season plays out before starting up again. I'd actually be pretty surprised if there were any contract extensions prior to the offseason.

I hope not.
The decision on Stastny and to a lesser extent ROR have to be made before the deadline.
If they really let Stastny walk in UFA, I will be very very mad.
We can NOT afford that at all. Even if we make the show, odds are we won't see the second round.
Losing Stastny or the 1st + prospect he would garner at the deadline for nothing, would be incredibly painful and could set us back for years.
Right now asset management is key.
Letting players walk in UFA is always a terrible idea. Only way it makes sense if you are gunning for the cup.

Not getting anything out of Fleischmann, Anderson and McClement (I really don't want to count Elliott as an "asset") was a big mistake.
Do not do the same with Stastny.
Please Patrick!

spiller19

Sep 23, 2013
I think it also really depends where they are in the standings if they are in a play off spot they have to hold on to staz and try to resign him but if they have fallen out of the race(which I don't think will happen fingers crossed) then I would be open to acquiring a 1st and a prospect or a young defensemen.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Stastny is on a 45 point pace, but he does have 4 points in hist last 5.

However hes done this type of thing a lot over the last couple years. He'll have good stretches where he puts up a 70 point pace, and then he'll have very cold stretches.

I'm not ready to believe the 4 in 5 pace is real until mid way through the season.

My question would actually be, what the hell? Hes had far better line-mates and is still looking like a 50 point center.

We'll see.... It's 9 games into the season.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

However hes done this type of thing a lot over the last couple years. He'll have good stretches where he puts up a 70 point pace, and then he'll have very cold stretches.

I'm not ready to believe the 4 in 5 pace is real until mid way through the season.

My question would actually be, what the hell? Hes had far better line-mates and is still looking like a 50 point center.

His role has also completely changed. So he got better teammates but different assignements.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't really care what pace Stastny is on. It is way too early and he does a whole lot more than is just counted on for scoring. It is a bit unfair that he's the one always railed on about his production because of his contract but that's not how the team is structured now. He's not the star nor is he expected to be. Plus every single player that has played a game on the roster has a point. I'd gladly take that over a handful of guys driving the production. Stastny is an important part of the team and I hope he stays but I completely understand if he doesn't. I truly think its going to come down to how Roy wants to make a run at the playoffs, because we all know Roy is not giving that up unless they are totally out of it.

With O'Reilly I really don't pay attention to what has happened in the past because he is such a great part of the team now. And the party from the contract fiasco that worries me the most, which oddly nobody ever brings up, is the agent. I am choosing to have faith that O'Reilly and Roy are in a good situation with each other and something will get worked out because it's best for both parties. Then hopefully the agent will not need to take as large of a role in the situation this time around.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It would all depend on the cost with me. Anything that Buffalo would accept, I probably wouldn't be game for, but if the cost was say... Wilson + 3rd I don't see how you couldn't take that risk.

For me it's the 5 yrs remaining on his contact why I wouldn't take the risk. He's not playing like a $4M dollar player right now, not to mention the $5.5M cap hit that goes along with it. He could very well play his way out of his troubles but this has been going on for 2-3 seasons now. The cap hit isn't a big deal for the next 2-3 years, it's after that when Mack comes off entry level, if we have a d-man with a $5.5M cap hit, he better be worth every penny and not a bottom pairing guy with an albatross contract that we can't move out.

One year ago I wanted ROR to be traded and I was ready to see him traded and was pretty much 100% sure he was gone as well, but at this point I have to admit I was wrong and It would have been huge mistake to trade ROR! This guy is so good for this team. Defensively one of the best in NHL. This guy will win cup with this team, we must keep him.

It always depends on what kind of return we could get. I am still open to moving him depending on what we'd get back in return. I think the ROR on the wing experiment is to see what kind of team we have at center without him. I've mentioned this before, the Avs received a bunch of offers for ROR before the Calgary offer sheet, the have a good idea what kind of return he can bring. I still like RoR as a player and depending on how open he is to negotiating an extension will likely dictate if he stays with the club or if they'll deal him. I just don't see the Avs being too thrilled with the prospect of going to arbitration...if that's where it looks like it's heading, believe he'll be the one sent packing at the deadline.

I dunno, I'm not too worried about 'pace' especially this early when you consider that if those 2 or 3 posts/crossbars go in instead, he'd be at close to a ppg pace.

Bottom line is that line is getting their fair share of chances on top of the most difficult defensive assignments on a nightly basis. Considering that, if he puts up 55-65 pts, I'll be happy with that.
(I'd like to mention that this is what David Backes does yearly and he's revered but when Staz does it, he's berated) :shakehead

Last edited:

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

Why would anyone be bothered that he's playing well again? If you decide to keep him, he's proving that he can still play well. If you trade him, him playing well brings you back a bigger return. Plus he's helping you win games in the meantime. It's win-win for the Avs when Stastny plays well.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
1st only won't get edler.

I was not saying it would. Only that the Avs will hold on to their 1st unless it was in a package for a defense man of that caliber.

I don't really care what pace Stastny is on. It is way too early and he does a whole lot more than is just counted on for scoring. It is a bit unfair that he's the one always railed on about his production because of his contract but that's not how the team is structured now. He's not the star nor is he expected to be. Plus every single player that has played a game on the roster has a point. I'd gladly take that over a handful of guys driving the production. Stastny is an important part of the team and I hope he stays but I completely understand if he doesn't. I truly think its going to come down to how Roy wants to make a run at the playoffs, because we all know Roy is not giving that up unless they are totally out of it.

Agree here. Scoreboards are the end all be all of many folk on here unless it has to do with a favorite player, then it becomes OK to reward the intangibles or potential. Stastny seems to bring a lot to this team that is not on the score sheet.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Why would anyone be bothered that he's playing well again? If you decide to keep him, he's proving that he can still play well. If you trade him, him playing well brings you back a bigger return. Plus he's helping you win games in the meantime. It's win-win for the Avs when Stastny plays well.

Because he's finally breaking out in his contract year when negotiations for money begin. It's rather convenient.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
The strangest thing out of all of it this year is that Lando has probably become the piece that most logically would be traded for a legit D upgrade, as most do not want to break up the Duchene line by trading O'Reilly and keeping Duchene, Mac, and Stastny is something that most want to do. Not saying that he would be traded, captain and new long term contract and all, but if you are looking at the value needed to get a top tier D man and what guy out of the top 9 forwards that meets that value and the hole it would make on the roster after moving the guy.....

As for Stastny breaking out....he is not. He is playing exactly like he has for the last 3-4 years. He is not stepping up his individual game at all, he is still making good passes and playing a solid 2 way game...he is now playing with two players that also play a solid 2 way game and fit within his play style. He also benefits from opposing teams putting their defensive players out there against the Duchene line rather than his AND the Mac line being a concern for other teams as well. I have seen nothing from Paul that is different from the last few seasons.

This is what Roy is proving to be amazing at....knowing what a player can do and putting them in situations that takes what they do best and allows them to use those talents. No one is playing outside their role at the moment, which happened under Sacco all the time.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
The strangest thing out of all of it this year is that Lando has probably become the piece that most logically would be traded for a legit D upgrade, as most do not want to break up the Duchene line by trading O'Reilly and keeping Duchene, Mac, and Stastny is something that most want to do. Not saying that he would be traded, captain and new long term contract and all, but if you are looking at the value needed to get a top tier D man and what guy out of the top 9 forwards that meets that value and the hole it would make on the roster after moving the guy.....

I can't stand by that at all. We have four centers that could very well pass as Top 6 centers. We have just one legit top 6 left winger who brings an element to the game that no other winger in our team does. He is tough, strong and is skilled enough to put up 50-70 points per year. And, is defensively great. Which isn't the case for many of our others wingers. That would be a huge piece to miss if he was traded.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
what.gif

Landeskog comes 2nd to Duchene for this franchise.

Mant*

Not even a little. He finally has decent linemates again, something he hasn't had for far too long.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Because he's finally breaking out in his contract year when negotiations for money begin. It's rather convenient.

You know what else is convenient? Not trying to turn David Jones and Chuck Kobasew into top 6 sniping-wingers on terrible teams that had long been lost by a terrible coach.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

As for Stastny breaking out....he is not. He is playing exactly like he has for the last 3-4 years. He is not stepping up his individual game at all, he is still making good passes and playing a solid 2 way game...he is now playing with two players that also play a solid 2 way game and fit within his play style. He also benefits from opposing teams putting their defensive players out there against the Duchene line rather than his AND the Mac line being a concern for other teams as well. I have seen nothing from Paul that is different from the last few seasons.

This is what Roy is proving to be amazing at....knowing what a player can do and putting them in situations that takes what they do best and allows them to use those talents. No one is playing outside their role at the moment, which happened under Sacco all the time.

If we traded Landeskog for OEL and their first round pick and best prospect, I'd be mad. If we traded Landeskog for Josi and Jones, I'd be mad, trading Landeskog makes absolutely no sense and there just isn't a deal out there that would be worth it to us.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO

Uhhhhhh What?

Duchene, Landy, and Mack are our 3 untouchables perhaps along with ROR if Roy likes him as much as it sounds like he does...

Landy isnt going anywhere. Last night Viking mode was back and hes been great in the last 5 games.

I would rather NOT trade a forward and build through draft and FA than trade Landy.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This is actually an interesting topic. If the Avs keep playing this good until trade deadline, I wonder if Sakic and Roy will look to upgrade the team for playoffs by making a trade.

If they keep up the current pace which isnt likely, but it is likely that the Avs will be one of the top teams by the trade deadline, I would hate to see the current forward group and lines broken up by trading someone like Stastny.

Then again, do the Avs go into playoffs with the current d-core or would they need to trade for a top 2 guy.

There will be tough decisions to be made for Sakic and company that's for sure.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Can a mod correct the title to spell Staz's name right? It's bugging the hell out of me and I've refrained from saying anything until now...

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
For me it's the 5 yrs remaining on his contact why I wouldn't take the risk. He's not playing like a $4M dollar player right now, not to mention the $5.5M cap hit that goes along with it. He could very well play his way out of his troubles but this has been going on for 2-3 seasons now. The cap hit isn't a big deal for the next 2-3 years, it's after that when Mack comes off entry level, if we have a d-man with a $5.5M cap hit, he better be worth every penny and not a bottom pairing guy with an albatross contract that we can't move out.

It always depends on what kind of return we could get. I am still open to moving him depending on what we'd get back in return. I think the ROR on the wing experiment is to see what kind of team we have at center without him. I've mentioned this before, the Avs received a bunch of offers for ROR before the Calgary offer sheet, the have a good idea what kind of return he can bring. I still like RoR as a player and depending on how open he is to negotiating an extension will likely dictate if he stays with the club or if they'll deal him. I just don't see the Avs being too thrilled with the prospect of going to arbitration...if that's where it looks like it's heading, believe he'll be the one sent packing at the deadline.

I dunno, I'm not too worried about 'pace' especially this early when you consider that if those 2 or 3 posts/crossbars go in instead, he'd be at close to a ppg pace.

Bottom line is that line is getting their fair share of chances on top of the most difficult defensive assignments on a nightly basis. Considering that, if he puts up 55-65 pts, I'll be happy with that.
(I'd like to mention that this is what David Backes does yearly and he's revered but when Staz does it, he's berated) :shakehead

People thought Paul was like his dad where he was gonna put up 100 point seasons. Paul is a 60, 65 point player and his limit would be PPG where he may or may not even reach.

So another words he would have to play absolutely to his best all season long to reach PPG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad