Does Patrick Roy re-sign Paul Stastny for next year?

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I don't see why Stastny would sign with the Avs unless he signed a 2 year deal, and Roy told him he would be one of the top 2 centers. Give Mac 3 years, or his entire entry level deal to work on his all around game.

Or sign him long term, with a NMC, and tell him that if he is traded he can choose his destination.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd rather overpay RoR and drop Stastny than keep Stastny for a more fair price and lose O'Reilly.

That really isn't the situation though. IF the Avs are comparing the two in a decision where 1 has to be chosen between them it will go more like this:

Stastny + ROR's trade return vs. ROR + Stastny's trade return

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
How's Matt Stajan? Could he be brought here to take the 3C slot? Goc maybe? Or if Sgarbossa does great this year. If we can't find another good center to take Stastny's place I'd rather keep him for a while.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
If we can't get a top pairing D for Staz (or Staz +), what kind of picks do you think he'd bring at the deadline?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
If we can't get a top pairing D for Staz (or Staz +), what kind of picks do you think he'd bring at the deadline?

Late first, a 3rd and a decent prospect? I'm not too thrilled about that return to be honest. I'd hope we could make some sort of hockey trade though where we get a decent roster defender.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Stastny would bring the normal rental return IMO... A/B level prospect+ cheap roster fill in player + 2nd or 3rd round pick or B/C level prospect + cheap roster fill in player + 1st round pick.

Using a team like the Islanders (not saying they are intested at all, just an example):

Brock Nelson/Matt Donovan/Adam Pelech + 3rd round pick + Regin

or

Anders Lee + Regin + 1st

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Honestly, if we are just looking to dump Stastny at the deadline for picks, I'd rather keep him and let him walk for nothing in the summer. I believe the value of battling for and making the playoffs outweigh the late first/second round pick and/or borderline line NHL player return we'd likely get from a contender...a contender certainly won't be trading top 2 (or even top 4) dmen for a playoffs worth of work from Stastny and that is our biggest need.

If we're taking the trade route with Stastny, the earlier it can be done this season the better IMO. Would be even better if we knew what team he was interested in playing for and maybe wrapped him up in a bow (sign and trade) to maximize his return..but I really don't see that happening.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Neither Staz or O'Money is bringing back a top 2 d man IMO. I mean, the possibility is always there, but unless Staz has a really strong year up to deadline, I aint seeing it.

RoR might, be he needs another consistent season to put doubts to rest for a proven #1/2 D man.

I think we might be a little high on our boys if we think either will net that. Throw in Elliot and a Goalie prospect and I'm sure some team might bite, and that's stuff we can afford to give up for sure.. If I'm a GM though, I'm not taking that deal. If I'm running a club that's selling at the deadline and I'm looking to the future, maybe.

I don't know. All we offer in a trade is lots of uncertainty in Elliot and a goaler prospect and a player with a high cap hit that isn't producing anywhere near where he should in staz. And I don't think moving RoR is even an option. We might have gained our first legit first string winger in RoR. I don't see that going anywhere.

I don't see the value in trading him right now. Start an early contract negotiation, see if we can get a long term 5-5.5. If we can't, hold him as the above said.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Stastny isn't going any time soon because of his salary. He'll look more attractive at the deadline when a lot of it has been paid. I agree with the points that I like him here and he plays an important role but it still hurts the team to let him walk for nothing. Hopefully Sakic and Roy feel out the situation, and I think they will to get their answer on which direction to go.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
He already had his big $33 million contract and many consider his current contract as overpayment. That said, anything above 5.5 AAV is too much for the next contract if we're keeping him

AvInNebr

Jul 10, 2013
Nebraska
Honestly for me Stastny has been a big part of the Avs success thus far. His value shutting down other team's top lines (and granted they have had help from the goalies) has been pretty big. If he's ok with his role I wouldn't be shocked at all for the team to try to keep both he and ROR and continue to use Stastny in his shutdown first, secondary scoring second, role.

I think if you can get 16-18 minutes a line from each of your top three lines and still give the 4th ~8 minutes everyone is going to be fine with playing time so it then just boils down to are the players happy in their roles and can both sides find a monetary point that fits for both parties? I think it boils down to Stastny and if he's happy in his role under Roy because I think this situation could work out for all parties and the money can work as well (though not at $6.6M of course)...

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
This is all assuming ROR can be resigned within the range Sakic/Roy are comfortable with.

I think 5.5 for Stastny and 5.75 for ROR is workable for a few years at least.

With Bigras getting the love he did this preseason, Siemens still due for a shot next year, Hejda, Wilson, and likely Benoit all still in the fold, I could see Sakic/Roy being very patient before making a move for a better Dman.
signing ROR makes sense.. somehow I thought he inked a longer term deal....
Why not keep Staz and ROR.. trading away Staz does not work for me when we could buy a defensmen who some team wants to let out of a contract

c

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Just curious what the lines would be without him. Right now there is three sets of top 6 wingers basically. Does one set get stuck with Mitchell, or a different "cheap" third line center? I think the team would have to identify the wingers they want to keep for Duchene and MacKinnon, and start thinking about moving a winger too. I think McGinn and Tanguay would be the ones who get screwed in this.

O'Reilly-Duchene-Downie
Landeskog-MacKinnon-PAP

Right now the team has an identity, which is a three line deep team. I'm afraid a marginal upgrade at defence at the cost of Stastny would ruin the identity of the team, while not improving the back end enough to overcome the difference.

I wish Stastny would sign for 8 years at 5 or under.

I really hope they keep this identity. I very much like it. And it worked well so far.
So yeah, i hope both Stastny and Radar will be resigned. If they managed to do it for a reasonable price around 5 mil each, i think as cap goes up in the future there should be no problem with signing MacKinnon to proper contract as well as getting one proper D player.

King Niinimaa*

Stastny <---> Myers and Grigorenko

Myers is better than he may look right now in that major ****hole called Sabres. Roy is familiar with Grigorenko and knows how to turn that kid into NHLer.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

Myers is better than he may look right now in that major ****hole called Sabres. Roy is familiar with Grigorenko and knows how to turn that kid into NHLer.

Which team are you a fan of, I'm assuming not the Sabres?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Doesn't seem like something the Sabres would do.

E: Not like it was said twice already or anything. Next time F5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad