Does Patrick Roy re-sign Paul Stastny for next year?

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I sincerely believe there is only one player on our team who would legitimately take hometown discounts and he has already done that... twice. Once with his bridge deal and next with his long-term deal.

How messy do you think ROR's contract will be? I will be pretty disappointed if he holds out again. Last time I think the Lacroix's refused to negotiate, but I don't see that happening with this management.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I honestly think Roy wants to keep Stastny around unless his contract demands are way beyond what works, i.e. 4.5-5 million over 4 years.

Roy values veteran players and I have a strong suspicion based on interviews since taking over that he sees Paul as an important leader to the club.

While Roy did not take the captaincy from Lando and probably believes he will grow into it. I get the impression that Stastny would have been named Captain if Roy were given a blank slate to start the year.

There are just little hints in the way Roy talks about Paul that lead me to believe Roy feels he is key to the development to this team.

I don't think the fact that Mac a center and going strong is something that means Stastny is on his way out. Nothing is preventing Mac from shifting to wing.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
How messy do you think ROR's contract will be? I will be pretty disappointed if he holds out again. Last time I think the Lacroix's refused to negotiate, but I don't see that happening with this management.
To me it depends on how much Sakic and/or Josh knew about the negotiations or were involved.

I honestly think Roy wants to keep Stastny around unless his contract demands are way beyond what works, i.e. 4.5-5 million over 4 years.

Roy values veteran players and I have a strong suspicion based on interviews since taking over that he sees Paul as an important leader to the club.

While Roy did not take the captaincy from Lando and probably believes he will grow into it. I get the impression that Stastny would have been named Captain if Roy were given a blank slate to start the year.

There are just little hints in the way Roy talks about Paul that lead me to believe Roy feels he is key to the development to this team.

I don't think the fact that Mac a center and going strong is something that means Stastny is on his way out. Nothing is preventing Mac from shifting to wing.
I've gotten that feeling too. But on the flip side, who's to say Staz can't move to the wing. He's already shown chemistry with Mack on the #2 PP unit.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Would love to keep Stastny around if possible at max 5 for 5. I would also then change the lines up a bit and do

O'reilly Duchene Downie
Landeskog Mackinnon Tanguay
Mcginn Stastny PAP

I agree with those who say that the three line offense is what is allowing the avs to win games. O'reilly's move to the wing makes him a non-factor in my opinion to re-signing Stastny, because his money is viewed as that of a winger.

Allocating money should be done based on position not just forwards and defense. Of course lowering the amount spent somewhere raises the amount spent somewhere else. But I personally feel that teams have to allocate a base salary for each position (wing, center, defense and goaltending). O'Reilly's move to wing allows him to be put in the winger category and is therefore more likely to push someone like Jamie Mcginn out then Stastny.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I didn't say he shouldn't make less than his previous deal. I'm saying the market is going to dictate what deal he is going to get, with the Avs or otherwise. Which is why his current deal is irrelevant. They are not going to negotiate from that point, they are going to negotiate from what his agent thinks he can get on the open market. It very well may be less than 6.6 on the open market and that won't even be the starting point. And my other question was, is there even an example of a 27 year old who got less than his previous AAV on a new contract? I seriously don't know. I can't even think of someone who had to take a lesser contract that wasn't age or injury related.

If anyone is willing to take a hometown discount for this team I'm sure Stastny would be one of them. I don't doubt those factors are a huge part of his decision. I like how the team is structured as well and would be thrilled to keep him. I just know that UFA is a tricky situation.

I'm pretty sure Stastny is engaged to that girlfriend. So family and settling down but long term financial security may factor in as well.

Given his age, might he not be the closest thing to a young #1c to ever UFA?

If jumbo Joe and Henrik get inked, does that not make PS the defacto #1 UFA C on the market?

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
Would love to keep Stastny around if possible at max 5 for 5. I would also then change the lines up a bit and do

O'reilly Duchene Downie
Landeskog Mackinnon Tanguay
Mcginn Stastny PAP

I agree with those who say that the three line offense is what is allowing the avs to win games. O'reilly's move to the wing makes him a non-factor in my opinion to re-signing Stastny, because his money is viewed as that of a winger.

Allocating money should be done based on position not just forwards and defense. Of course lowering the amount spent somewhere raises the amount spent somewhere else. But I personally feel that teams have to allocate a base salary for each position (wing, center, defense and goaltending). O'Reilly's move to wing allows him to be put in the winger category and is therefore more likely to push someone like Jamie Mcginn out then Stastny.

I would be upset if we lost McGinn. We would likely get to keep him at a great price and he plays his role well. He's been getting better every year since he's been here.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
With the points that Stastny is going to put up, I can see us keeping him for somewhere in the range of 3.5M-4.5M. Anything over that would be overspending in my opinion. He got overpaid for quite a few years, time to take a little discount(if it even is one).

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
With the points that Stastny is going to put up, I can see us keeping him for somewhere in the range of 3.5M-4.5M. Anything over that would be overspending in my opinion. He got overpaid for quite a few years, time to take a little discount(if it even is one).

he's not going to stay in Colorado for $4 million when a team like Toronto or Columbus throws $7 million at him

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Ideally I'd like to see Stastny traded for a young top 4 defensemen. If that's not possible then I'd like the return to be prospects and picks. Next step would then be acquiring a young top 4 defensemen using our picks and prospect pools.

Replace Stastny in the offseason, hopefully then the Avs can land someone like Bolland, Ott, or Grabovski.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
he's not going to stay in Colorado for $4 million when a team like Toronto or Columbus throws $7 million at him

If anyone thinks he's worth that then you've been spending too much time with Heisenberg. No way is he worth more then Duchene, or O'Reilly for that matter.:shakehead

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
If anyone thinks he's worth that then you've been spending too much time with Heisenberg. No way is he worth more then Duchene, or O'Reilly for that matter.:shakehead

It's an exaggeration, but he's right. Stastny can get more money and more ice time elsewhere in the league than it's worth for the Avs to offer.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Clarkson got 5.25m for 7 years and you think Stastny is only worth $4m? You might want to put down the pipe. :laugh:

On the open market Stastny is worth the 6-6.5m per range. I don't think the Avs would go above 6 to sign him, and probably closer to 5.5m. If he wants more than that, the Avs will trade him or let him walk.

Landy-Stastny-Tangs is THE best shutdown line in the NHL, I'm pretty sure Roy would love to keep that if he could.

BTW Duchene took a bit of a discount to stay even for a RFA. If he was a UFA and wasn't attached to the Avs as a fan, he could have gotten 8m+.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
It's an exaggeration, but he's right. Stastny can get more money and more ice time elsewhere in the league than it's worth for the Avs to offer.

I agree he could probably get more, but not all players are greedy and go after money. Paul comes off as a guy who will take a slight discount to stay with the team, like Duchene did. I can see him signing four years at 4.5M per to stay on the only team he's played for. The staff made it known he's an important part of the team. Maybe thats my wishful thinking though.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
Clarkson got 5.25m for 7 years and you think Stastny is only worth $4m? You might want to put down the pipe. :laugh:

On the open market Stastny is worth the 6-6.5m per range. I don't think the Avs would go above 6 to sign him, and probably closer to 5.5m. If he wants more than that, the Avs will trade him or let him walk.

Landy-Stastny-Tangs is THE best shutdown line in the NHL, I'm pretty sure Roy would love to keep that if he could.

BTW Duchene took a bit of a discount to stay even for a RFA. If he was a UFA and wasn't attached to the Avs as a fan, he could have gotten 8m+.

Every fan of hockey knows Clarkson was overpaid.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Every fan of hockey knows Clarkson was overpaid.

You are worth what somebody will pay for you. He may be overpaid by a fan's standpoint, but fan's opinions don't matter... only GM and owner's opinions. Judging by other signings like Clowe would suggest that Clarkson is closer to market value that people think.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
You are worth what somebody will pay for you. He may be overpaid by a fan's standpoint, but fan's opinions don't matter... only GM and owner's opinions. Judging by other signings like Clowe would suggest that Clarkson is closer to market value that people think.

If we're gonna compare Staz and Clarkson, Staz should get about 12M a year. But I hear what you're saying. I was just having some wishfull thinking.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's a bit scary how important Stastny has become this season. He and Landeskog are shouldering a bit load for this team.

On the bright side, O'Reilly could do the same job equally well if Stastny is a goner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad