Does Patrick Roy re-sign Paul Stastny for next year?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Stastny <---> Myers and Grigorenko

Myers is better than he may look right now in that major ****hole called Sabres. Roy is familiar with Grigorenko and knows how to turn that kid into NHLer.

It was only one game I've seen this year of Buffalo (and quite a few of Myers in his career) but to me Grigs looks too slow to be on the Avs. I tried to pay a lot of attention to Grigs due to his Roy connection, but I just didn't see anything that impressed me.

Myers is looking very mediocre to me. With all the EJ complaints, I think Myers looks far worse even though I know he is still young.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It was only one game I've seen this year of Buffalo (and quite a few of Myers in his career) but to me Grigs looks too slow to be on the Avs. I tried to pay a lot of attention to Grigs due to his Roy connection, but I just didn't see anything that impressed me.

Myers is looking very mediocre to me. With all the EJ complaints, I think Myers looks far worse even though I know he is still young.

I haven't been able to watch Myers too closely, but the few times I have this season, and in the past he seems to have that deer in the headlights/caught out of position look way too often. it just doesn't seem like he has any idea what he's doing out there sometimes.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Just realized it must be weird playing for a coach that could trade you at any moments notice.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I really hope we keep Stastny. He seems to really like it here, especially this season.

I also think he is smart enough to realize that he hasn't played up to his contract. He seems like the guy who would definitely take a pay cut.

But how much of a pay cut is the question..

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The whole Stastny is going to take a pay cut thing makes no sense to me. He's a professional athelete. Might he take a hometown discount if the Avs are close to what he may get on the market, sure. But he and his agent are never going to approach the situation as "boy I made way too much money my last contract so I'm going to gladly take whatever the Avs offer me because I love Denver". It's irrelevant what is contract was, it only matters what kind of UFA contract he can get, the starting point is there. Are there any decently comparable examples of a 27 year old who got a lower AAV on a new contract compared to his previous one?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The whole Stastny is going to take a pay cut thing makes no sense to me. He's a professional athelete. Might he take a hometown discount if the Avs are close to what he may get on the market, sure. But he and his agent are never going to approach the situation as "boy I made way too much money my last contract so I'm going to gladly take whatever the Avs offer me because I love Denver". It's irrelevant what is contract was, it only matters what kind of UFA contract he can get, the starting point is there. Are there any decently comparable examples of a 27 year old who got a lower AAV on a new contract compared to his previous one?

You lost me here. You say that his prior contract shouldn't matter, but also that he shouldn't make less than his prior deal. Stastny will probably get very good money on his next deal, but I doubt it's $6.6m+ good.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Granted, I'm not near the salary demands or earning power of a pro athlete, but I can say that I'm in my late 30s and have had the opportunity to change my career path this year. Having enough money set aside, I could really take my time evaluating what I wanted out of my next job. What I learned is that as opposed to when I was in my 20s, quality of life (location, demand on time, pressure, etc) play a much larger role than salary/earning potential in my decision making now.

If Stastny is happy in Denver and with his role, I could completely see him accept a fair but lower than market contract. He's earned his financial security already, now he can secure his quality of life by choosing where and with whom he wants to play and live.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
^^^

Yup. He knows what it's like to play for a crappy coach and a demeaning front office. And (hopefully) he now knows what it's like to play for a good coach and a more respectful FO. If he leaves, he could end up with an unpleasant situation again, FO & coach-wise. I could see that figuring into any decision he makes.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
You guys are all forgetting that this is a two-three headed monster. You have multiple components from Stastny's side making a decision on a contract:

1) Athlete - May take a hometown discount. If he feels incredibly strong about it, he can override anyone else. I doubt he feels incredibly strong about Denver and probably wants a bigger role, but like any of us - nobody has any idea what Paul is thinking.

2) Agent - Agent is going to make a commission off athlete contract, so naturally agent wants most money. Agent is going to push for UFA almost every time, especially in case where team proposes decrease to player contract. After the first conversation with team about a $1M reduction, agent's natural knee jerk reaction is "lets go to market".

3) Family - As far as I know, Stastny's not married and has no kids. Therefore, I'd venture to guess he's getting input from Dad, who doesn't seem really too keen on Avs with the Stewart trade. Also, I've said this before - Peter Stastny's number should be in the rafters. A possible positive though is that Paul wears his #. But I still think his Dad tells him to go to UFA, possibly to St Louis.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
winning teams do not need to make drastic changes.. if the Avs are winning and getting better, no reason to trade him...
Staz can get hot.. Im hoping he lights up and starts putting up big numbers

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
If Leafs wont/cant pay Phaneuf what it takes to get him extended, I try that swap with Stastny (again?) and pay Dion what he is worth. I think he is underrated. Always plays with a weak d-man partner and goes up against the best players on the other team. And he fits our profile as a left handed two way defenseman.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Leafs wont/cant pay Phaneuf what it takes to get him extended, I try that swap with Stastny (again?) and pay Dion what he is worth. I think he is underrated. Always plays with a weak d-man partner and goes up against the best players on the other team. And he fits our profile as a left handed two way defenseman.

The Leafs can't trade Phaneuf as long as they are winning and in the playoff race.

I expect them to buyout Liles this summer and he will have less than a 800k cap hit for next season. That buys them 3m in extra room. Then, they lose the Tucker and Armstrong buyouts of 1m each, and the retained salary of 500k on Scrivens and Frattin. this gives them back 5.5m in dead space that is currently being taken up. So I think they will have room to re-sign Phaneuf.... I don't know if they have enough room to sign McClement, Kulemin, and Bolland though.

If the Avs lose Stastny and Bolland makes it to UFA, they should try to sign Bolland.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
You guys are all forgetting that this is a two-three headed monster. You have multiple components from Stastny's side making a decision on a contract:

1) Athlete - May take a hometown discount. If he feels incredibly strong about it, he can override anyone else. I doubt he feels incredibly strong about Denver and probably wants a bigger role, but like any of us - nobody has any idea what Paul is thinking.

2) Agent - Agent is going to make a commission off athlete contract, so naturally agent wants most money. Agent is going to push for UFA almost every time, especially in case where team proposes decrease to player contract. After the first conversation with team about a $1M reduction, agent's natural knee jerk reaction is "lets go to market".

3) Family - As far as I know, Stastny's not married and has no kids. Therefore, I'd venture to guess he's getting input from Dad, who doesn't seem really too keen on Avs with the Stewart trade. Also, I've said this before - Peter Stastny's number should be in the rafters. A possible positive though is that Paul wears his #. But I still think his Dad tells him to go to UFA, possibly to St Louis.

1) He has stayed in Denver for quite a while, and there have been no rumblings of him wanting out even in the depths of the Sacco disaster nor after the trade of Stewart

2) I think the Agent always pushes for money, but with a UFA player like Stastny, it really comes down to what Stastny tells the agent his priorities are.

3) I think Peter's opinion of the Avs as an organization now is much better than it was, and for all the blustering Peter made during the Stewart trade, Paul never seemed to support his Dad's opinions publicly in any way.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I think there are two problems for Staz atm

A. He is being used in a defensive role... This has happened before though

B. Tanguay and Staz are redundant on the same line as NEITHER will EVER shoot. Landy is the victim of this as well...its almost like that Caps PP where all we had to do was block the lanes to Ovy... Cover Landy when that line is out and no one will shoot LOL

He needs to shoot more. Tangs does too. If he wants to be a part of this team going forward...and his line to be successful SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK. Other wise we need to switch up the lines... and honestly...the other two lines are doing very well...I dont know that you mess with that.

Going forward...Im not sure he does have a place on this team...unless he really is okay being in the shutdown center role.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You lost me here. You say that his prior contract shouldn't matter, but also that he shouldn't make less than his prior deal. Stastny will probably get very good money on his next deal, but I doubt it's $6.6m+ good.

I didn't say he shouldn't make less than his previous deal. I'm saying the market is going to dictate what deal he is going to get, with the Avs or otherwise. Which is why his current deal is irrelevant. They are not going to negotiate from that point, they are going to negotiate from what his agent thinks he can get on the open market. It very well may be less than 6.6 on the open market and that won't even be the starting point. And my other question was, is there even an example of a 27 year old who got less than his previous AAV on a new contract? I seriously don't know. I can't even think of someone who had to take a lesser contract that wasn't age or injury related.

If anyone is willing to take a hometown discount for this team I'm sure Stastny would be one of them. I don't doubt those factors are a huge part of his decision. I like how the team is structured as well and would be thrilled to keep him. I just know that UFA is a tricky situation.

I'm pretty sure Stastny is engaged to that girlfriend. So family and settling down but long term financial security may factor in as well.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I sincerely believe there is only one player on our team who would legitimately take hometown discounts and he has already done that... twice. Once with his bridge deal and next with his long-term deal.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Yeah I don't really see Staz taking a discount per say, I guess the question is just what he's worth in today's market. Considering that his performance is not close to what it was when he signed his last contract, counterbalanced by him being a UFA, I really don't know what he's worth. I really don't think he deserves anything more than 5.5 as an absolute max.

I would kind of rather have a cheaper 3rd center going forward. Someone like Bolland, IDK.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
All I have been hearing from Pro-Stastny fans for like the last 4 years now is that he is a legitimate #1A/1B center. At 27 years old, if that endorsement is true, he will get $6M/year and maybe even $7M on the open market. I've always been in the trade-Stastny side of the argument, but if you really feel he's that good, the only way he stays is deep hometown discount.

On this team with the depth that we have at center, he should get $4.5-$5.0M IMO and a spot on the third line if he re-signs. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow, but at the end of his deal he will be the team's 3rd center at best unless Duchene or MacKinnon plays wing long term somehow.

There is no way they give him (or O'Reilly for that matter) more than Duchene, and I would be absolutely floored if they gave him the same ($6M).

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah I don't really see Staz taking a discount per say, I guess the question is just what he's worth in today's market. Considering that his performance is not close to what it was when he signed his last contract, counterbalanced by him being a UFA, I really don't know what he's worth. I really don't think he deserves anything more than 5.5 as an absolute max.

I would kind of rather have a cheaper 3rd center going forward. Someone like Bolland, IDK.

UFA is not about how much you deserve, It's about how desperate other teams are and they are desperate for semi-young #1/#2 center. Stastny will get paid, most likely for 6 years and 5,5million+ per season at least.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
After having a hot scoring summer during the international tournament I was hoping for it to translate over to this season, but stazz is just the same player we've seen the past 3 years.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
After having a hot scoring summer during the international tournament I was hoping for it to translate over to this season, but stazz is just the same player we've seen the past 3 years.

yep,
very solid defensively
productive offensively
willing to play whatever role given
very good at key faceoffs
alternate captain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad