Speculation: Does Matthews' injury bring down his contract?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
2 shoulder injuries and a bad back... Obviously not something you want to see with your franchise centre but they have absolute no choice but to match whatever his demands are. Likely around $11.5-12m. He's already proven this season he's better than JT so you can't pay him less than that (not even including salary cap increasing).

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Kapanen won't get massive raise and Nylander will go for D.
Do you understand the players are nothing more than assets? It's a business.
Kapanen with 10 points (6 & 4) won't get much of a raise from an ELC that has no bonuses? :help:
I suppose he's on the Shanahan plan where players sign cheap to ensure TML can ice a good team on the cheap. :sarcasm:

So alienating Nylander & Marner seems a good idea to you. Some teams draft & develope (in Marner's case acquire a 1st round pick by trading your best player) while you advocate making things uncomfortable enough to make them want to leave.
Subtract Nylander, Kapanen & possibly Matthews from the Leats lineup & what have you got? A worse team than prior to the drafts that landed the good players that made the Leafs revalent again. I wonder if Tavares's memory of those Leafs jammies might fade if suddenly it's him, Marleau & Kadri carrying the load. The surrounding cast on the Isles when he left will cause nostalgia for better days.

Sure it's a business & the Leafs are sold out regardless of being 1st or 31st in the league but after all the hype you'd think TML&E would give the long suffering fans a little more time to enjoy the fruits of remaining loyal while they have the talent to @ least make noise in the playoffs.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Yeah, he's broken.....ship him to Arizona before it gets worse.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
If it was a different caliper player... yes the repeated injury would. But it’s Matthews, he will get the same

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Nylander, Marner and Matthews are all taking team friendly discounts because they want to win in TO so it does not matter if his injury drops his value a bit

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
2 shoulder injuries and a bad back... Obviously not something you want to see with your franchise centre but they have absolute no choice but to match whatever his demands are. Likely around $11.5-12m. He's already proven this season he's better than JT so you can't pay him less than that (not even including salary cap increasing).
Well you can. You can say "you will get that kind of money when you are a UFA"

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Kapanen with 10 points (6 & 4) won't get much of a raise from an ELC that has no bonuses? :help:
I suppose he's on the Shanahan plan where players sign cheap to ensure TML can ice a good team on the cheap. :sarcasm:

So alienating Nylander & Marner seems a good idea to you. Some teams draft & develope (in Marner's case acquire a 1st round pick by trading your best player) while you advocate making things uncomfortable enough to make them want to leave.
Subtract Nylander, Kapanen & possibly Matthews from the Leats lineup & what have you got? A worse team than prior to the drafts that landed the good players that made the Leafs revalent again. I wonder if Tavares's memory of those Leafs jammies might fade if suddenly it's him, Marleau & Kadri carrying the load. The surrounding cast on the Isles when he left will cause nostalgia for better days.

Sure it's a business & the Leafs are sold out regardless of being 1st or 31st in the league but after all the hype you'd think TML&E would give the long suffering fans a little more time to enjoy the fruits of remaining loyal while they have the talent to @ least make noise in the playoffs.
Who said anything about alienating Marner?
He's a core piece.
Swedish Fish boy is not.

Kapanen won't get more than 4/year.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Are you blind ? That Trouba hit was absolutely massive. He had like 6 or 7 strides coming from the blue line. I was not shocked he ****ed his shoulder up on that play. Still say it was charging. Not a dirty hit(quite nice actually).

> was charging
> not a dirty hit

Pick one

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Sure you can. He’s an RFA. When’s he’s a UFA he’ll get paid, just like Tavares did.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s certainly not a day to day injury at all - a dislocated shoulder can take months to heal properly.

Quote: You can stop wearing the sling after a few days, but it takes about 12 to 16 weeks to completely recover from a dislocated shoulder and it looks unfortunate on how Matthews reacted after that hit, but cross fingers it ain`t that serious an injury. And he is young as well so he might heal faster.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
It was a solid hit yes, certainly not a massive hit. AM is lucky that wasn’t Buff who hit him......that would be a massive hit.
It wasn't the velocity of the hit, I think it was more just the angle. With him about to get a shot away or go around the goaltender, and having the shoulder dropped, a smaller guy hitting him and going upwards with his shoulder I could see have done just as much damage.

Its unfortunate, as much as I am bummed TO got him (was hoping the Canucks would win the lottery, yeah right!), he's fun to watch. He is a big power forward and he's made a living doing those power moves past guys for a couple years now, he's just going to have change up his game when it comes to driving the net. I don't want to see the guy hurt because it makes watching games around the league less entertaining without their stars so hopefully he can regain his form when he comes back.

I don't know if it will effect his contract much, depends completely on how the back half of the season goes for him when he comes off injury. I still think he's on par with Tavares at around 11 mill.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
No. The only thing that brings down Mathews salary demands is Mathews. And I'm not so sure why it's a demand because I doubt Leafs management wants to piss off their best player. These negotiations should go pretty smooth. Just offer same deal as Tavares to start.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In a way it depends on how the Leafs do while he is out. If they chug on without missing a beat the injury hurts his leverage. If they struggle to score, as they have so far, it may actually help his value. There is a big difference between having two elite centers and having only one.

The Leafs have little choice but to pay him since he is definitely a player worth risking an offer sheet on if he ever made it to RFA status. It's hard to see him getting less than $10M but he could get more.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I would say that it depends on how much he buys into the team-first concept.

If Matthews wants to get paid "all he's worth", then no, the injuries he's had aren't likely to affect his demands.

If he buys into wanting team success, it's another point for Dubas to use. "If you get hurt, I can have a much stronger team around you so that we don't miss you as much when you're gone".

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
No because all he needs to do is not accept any offers, bargain and wait for an offersheet. Leafs won’t want to get there because theres a certain team dieing named arizona who would crave to bring a arizona born 1C who happened to be a coyotes fan his whole life, that particular team will approach with an blankcheck offersheet in wich leafs will be forced to pick the 4x 1st!

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
It won't have any barring on it hes still gonna get his 12 mil Leafs fans just have to hope that he doesn't become injury prone which I don't think he will. Look at Stamkos and Crosby they both had 3-4 years with injury problems and people were saying that they were injury prone and now look neither of them have had a major injury in the last 3 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad