Speculation: Does Matthews' injury bring down his contract?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If he comes back and picks up right where he left off, I doubt it will. If he comes back showing the effects of the injury or can't get going again, I still don't think it will, but man it's risky if you venture into this water without being 1000% sure that he's going to fully recover.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
First of all, Auston played all 82 games in his rookie season. No idea why so many seem to be under the impression that he was injured in his first year... :laugh:

Unless he struggles significantly after returning from the injury, or there is legitimate concern with regards to the ability of his shoulder to heal, I doubt a month off is going to do much to his value.

Reactions: GatorDave

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
It probably impacts the value a bit.

He’s going to want the guarantee of 8 years, and because he WANTS that it lowers his side’s bargaining power. How much? Well that depends. I think it’s reasonable that he get $11Mx8 but maybe it’s less. I don’t think he needs to make McDavid money just because McDavid is getting paid $12M.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
First of all, Auston played all 82 games in his rookie season. No idea why so many seem to be under the impression that he was injured in his first year... :laugh:

Unless he struggles significantly after returning from the injury, or there is legitimate concern with regards to the ability of his shoulder to heal, I doubt a month off is going to do much to his value.

Isn't this his 3rd shoulder injury? Wasn't the biggest hit to tweak it either

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Isn't this his 3rd shoulder injury? Wasn't the biggest hit to tweak it either

Are you blind ? That Trouba hit was absolutely massive. He had like 6 or 7 strides coming from the blue line. I was not shocked he f***ed his shoulder up on that play. Still say it was charging. Not a dirty hit(quite nice actually).

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
It won’t to him.

It won’t to his agent.

It might to Toronto.

They’ll pay him up to around $12 million per anyway because if they don’t they’ll be flayed alive by the paying customers.

Reactions: FourRings

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Yes it does.

It’s almost impossible to win any hardware at this point which I think could have boosted his contract over 11m.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Are you blind ? That Trouba hit was absolutely massive. He had like 6 or 7 strides coming from the blue line. I was not shocked he ****ed his shoulder up on that play. Still say it was charging. Not a dirty hit(quite nice actually).

Not saying it was a small hit but I've seen dirtier and bigger hits on guys that didn't get injured after or at least officially injured

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
They don't have a choice really. Even if he were damaged, had have to be horribly damaged to not be worth the money.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Matthews played 82 as a rookie
Unfortunately, it's the "what have you done for me lately". It wasn't for example, a knee and a shoulder, it's been both shoulders.The Leafs may try to use it but let's see what happens when he comes back. The Leafs may need both his shoulders to carry the team.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Nope and I don’t have faith that he’ll be the type to take a discount. I’m pretty sure one of his main arguments for a fat contract is going to be his PPG.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
All it does is keep his ppg through the roof so he has less time to "come back down to earth" after he is healthy.

This means he's still getting a monster contract (that he deserves) and will probably be the 2nd biggest in the league.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Anything over 11.5*8 is a huge overpayment. He is worth between maybe 10-11 but the Tavares deal might affect that

Reactions: Allan92

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

He also had a great playoff that year vs. Washington. But as always, this is whatHaveyoudoneFormelatelyboards

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not saying it was a small hit but I've seen dirtier and bigger hits on guys that didn't get injured after or at least officially injured

It was a solid hit yes, certainly not a massive hit. AM is lucky that wasn’t Buff who hit him......that would be a massive hit.

Mar 26, 2010
It was a solid hit yes, certainly not a massive hit. AM is lucky that wasn’t Buff who hit him......that would be a massive hit.
I agree with that. Big Buff would have done Collateral damage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad