Speculation: Does Matthews' injury bring down his contract?

gach

Aug 2, 2018
Still hasn't even hit the 82 game mark and won't again this year (not his fault) but do you see this lowering his salary demands/expectations?
Do you see any player saying "I got hurt this year so pay me less money"...you got to be kidding

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think he'll "settle" for slightly more than Tavares got... 8 years at around $11.5 mil per. He'll get a bit more than JT because he is the face of the franchise, but I think he'll make a little less than McDavid. Open market or if he wanted to push for more, I think he could get McDavid money just because the cap is up from when that contract was signed.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
An injury won't help you get more money. So yes, it brings down his contract.

Reactions: Devonator

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Auston has proven to be injury prone being victim to 5 injuries already in his short career. His play style which could lead to injury and his propensity to disappear for stretches at a time should affect his value downwards more in line with reality, thus giving Toronto a fair contract.

Unfortunately because he’s been supremely overrated by the fan base and media over the last couple years he’ll end up being overpaid despite being injury prone and having consistency issues.

Reactions: flamesforcup

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
No it wont bring it down. He will come back and play. I think injuries have more impact on contracts when they are injured over the course of trying for a new deal. For me it comes down to how he plays when he gets back. If its business as usual for him it wont have an impact.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Yes. Having long-term injuries in 2 of your 3 entry-level seasons is a huge factor in negotiating a long-term contract of this magnitude.
He switched his agent to Orr (McDavid's agent) hoping to get the same 12.5, but the injuries definitely brings down that number, by a lot. Matthews has about the same PPG as Eichel, so I would say 10 mil per, is his worth and that's being generous.

But I do remember his entry-level contract coming down to the wire, because he wanted more bonuses. I can definitely see this spilling into pre-season and even the regular season, given what Dubas is doing with Nylander. I still think it was a huge mistake to sign Tavares. It set the stage for the Nylander stand-off. Marner, Matthews, Nylander is the future of Toronto. JT will start to decline in 2-3 years from now and that contract will be a huge weight on the team

Right down to the wire. It was so close to not getting done. Had they finally not given in on July 21st they would have only had 2 more months before training camp open to get it done. So close.

Don’t let the Toronto media blowing everything out of proportion cloud your memory. Yes it was talked about because they write about absolutely everything. But it got done within a month of the draft like most guys. 2 months before Ekblad signed his ELC which nothing was heard about. The Leafs were always giving him max bonuses. There was nothing more to give him. The media looked at Adam Larsson’s Contract lacking B bonuses and assumed that was Lou’s policy and drove it way out of proportion like they always do. Gasp can’t believe it took almost a month instead of 3 weeks. Have to write 8 articles freaking out about it.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
It shouldnt cost him much if anything.

Maybe itll get him to accept a deal closer to a Tavares number over a McDavid number?

But whatever happens, the kid is gonna get $80+ million...hes gonna be extremely rich.

Reactions: Devonator

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
Still hasn't even hit the 82 game mark and won't again this year (not his fault) but do you see this lowering his salary demands/expectations?

Honestly, nothing will lower the value of his contract or demands. For him, he should only care about getting a good contract for himself. For Toronto, I don't they they have a choice but to give him what he wants. When the option is to either give into the demands to a franchise player or let him walk, it seems obvious to me. You find ways to make it work.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Honestly, nothing will lower the value of his contract or demands. For him, he should only care about getting a good contract for himself. For Toronto, I don't they they have a choice but to give him what he wants. When the option is to either give into the demands to a franchise player or let him walk, it seems obvious to me. You find ways to make it work.
Hypothetically if the Leafs do think he has injury concerns, it will absolutely lower his value. The Leafs hold his rights for a while.
If another team (particularly that likely will finish outside the playoffs for the forseeable future) wants to offersheet Matthews for 12+ million and the Leafs think he has long-term injury concerns, they might take the 4 firsts.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
No, you don't remember that.
It did not go to the wire.

But there was a tug-of-war between Lou and Matthews' agent, because Lou did not want to give more than the basic performance bonus ($850K) rather than the full package ($2.85M).

Lou blinked first after a 3-week standoff.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It did not go to the wire.

But there was a tug-of-war between Lou and Matthews' agent, because Lou did not want to give more than the basic performance bonus ($850K) rather than the full package ($2.85M).

Lou blinked first after a 3-week standoff.

There is absolutely zero evidence that's true.

Lou did not give Larsson those bonuses and media speculated he may have drawn a line in the sand with Matthews, but there's zero proof that happened.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
There is absolutely zero evidence that's true.

Lou did not give Larsson those bonuses and media speculated he may have drawn a line in the sand with Matthews, but there's zero proof that happened.
Trying to be logical...

Why else would it take 3 weeks for the Leafs to sign their shiny new toy ?

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
No chance it devalues his contract. It might make his price go up as he realizes his next game could always be his last one.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I think he'll "settle" for slightly more than Tavares got... 8 years at around $11.5 mil per. He'll get a bit more than JT because he is the face of the franchise, but I think he'll make a little less than McDavid. Open market or if he wanted to push for more, I think he could get McDavid money just because the cap is up from when that contract was signed.
I think agents look at the percentage of cap availability. The max is 20%-over 16 million a year. Asking your stud to take less than 70% of the max available to him when he knows that will likely mean it will be about 50% of the max if cap keeps rising is wishful thinking. Mathews is worth at least twice what Babcock is getting.

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
Except for, like, the 82 games he played in 2016-17, his rookie year.

Auston Matthews played every game of a complete injury-free NHL season in his draft year, and someone says "Still hasn't even hit the 82 game mark . . . "

Hey, thanks for your deep insight.
Thanks for saying the same thing twice in your post?

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
The Leafs should understand that the injuries are a downside to his game, he leaves it all out there on the ice for his team, so I don't think the injuries should impact his pay that much.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't get how someone following the Leafs doesn't know Matthews played every game in his first season. It shouldn't affect his salary though

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think agents look at the percentage of cap availability. The max is 20%-over 16 million a year. Asking your stud to take less than 70% of the max available to him when he knows that will likely mean it will be about 50% of the max if cap keeps rising is wishful thinking. Mathews is worth at least twice what Babcock is getting.

I didn't even realize the cap went up by that much. Yeah, barring a discount he's going to get quite a bit then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad