Speculation: Does Matthews' injury bring down his contract?

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
I understand the circumstances and that it is what is and the Leafs have to pay him but, the fact remains, anything more than 11 is and will be an overpayment and a detriment to the Leafs long term team building

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
With those glass shoulders, if he wants any more than $5 mil/yr long-term, the Leafs should probably just walk away.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Sure you can. He’s an RFA. When’s he’s a UFA he’ll get paid, just like Tavares did.

He also sees 2 other Cs around him get 10-12.5m. He's better than Eichel and not as good as McDavid which would logically put him in the middle around 11m. Then you add the rising cap and $11-12m is clearly his asking price. Tavares was a 28 year old. If you are getting 8 years from Matthews he's going to make as much as Tavares that's for sure.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
The way I see it is Leafs have 3 years to win a cup before they reach cap hell and can’t add depth to their lineup. But once players win their contracts go up either way

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
No. Leafs have no leverage here. If Matthews wants 12+ someone is going to give him 12+ and he knows it. And the Leafs know it. Either they cough up or he leaves. And I don't think forcing Matthews to sit is going to go over as well as forcing Nylander to sit.

That being said he may not be looking for 12 or 12+ I have no idea. Maybe he'll be fine matching Tavares. But it's completely up to him.

I don't think so. He is not a ufa. Don't think teams will want to lose four 1st round picks. There is a reason why there are hardly any offer sheets

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He also sees 2 other Cs around him get 10-12.5m. He's better than Eichel and not as good as McDavid which would logically put him in the middle around 11m. Then you add the rising cap and $11-12m is clearly his asking price. Tavares was a 28 year old. If you are getting 8 years from Matthews he's going to make as much as Tavares that's for sure.
The argument is that Buffalo and Edmonton had to overpay because no one wants to live in those cities.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
he'll just say look how many guys i am outscoring while only playing 75% of the games.

ok so then the leafs can point to all the guys he isnt outscoring to lower his AAV? works both ways

Matthews is gonna be 8 years x 11 mil

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Nope and I don’t have faith that he’ll be the type to take a discount. I’m pretty sure one of his main arguments for a fat contract is going to be his PPG.

yueah..that always ends up well. Matthew sprobably just lost his shot at 12.

8 x 11

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
Hypothetically if the Leafs do think he has injury concerns, it will absolutely lower his value. The Leafs hold his rights for a while.
If another team (particularly that likely will finish outside the playoffs for the forseeable future) wants to offersheet Matthews for 12+ million and the Leafs think he has long-term injury concerns, they might take the 4 firsts.

Hypothetically, yes the leafs can think that his value decreased based on injury concerns. In reality, I doubt that is something Matthews or his agent will drop their price for in negotiations. I mean, I really hope they agree to a number that both works for TOR and gives Matthew a good value cause no matter the team, nobody wants to see one of their best players go.

I usually hate the idea of offer sheets cause it's a lot to give up but I think giving up 4 1st round picks for a talent like Matthews may be worth it. However, TOR can fetch A LOT for him if they elected to trade him so I don't even know what the better option is here.

Let's just hope everything works out for the best

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
IMO he loses a little bit of leverage to ask for top dollar but I don't think that the leafs will change their original offers. You don't do that to your franchise player. Still anything under 11.5m is likely a team friendly price.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
The argument is that Buffalo and Edmonton had to overpay because no one wants to live in those cities.

I love it when Leaf fans just straight up lie. McDavid took less money than he could have and it's reported Eichel did the same. So based on your logic, Matthews should take 8 x 9m since that's his true value and he loves Toronto

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
It's all about what Mathews wants. He can play ball with the leafs and get 8 x 11. But if he wants to get paid he can easily sign an offer sheet for 7 x 14 as there are teams out there willing to pay. As for the extra year I don't think it matters because his next contract will be huge also. So if he's about the money an extra 21 million over 7 isn't too shabby.

You can say "what about the first rounders" but the Leafs would be luck to get a player that is 60% of what Mathews is. He may be a RFA but he holds all the cards money wise.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Leafs should test it and not sign him before July 1.

Mostly since I can't wait to see if he signs any of the offers other teams will definitely give him.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I love it when Leaf fans just straight up lie. McDavid took less money than he could have and it's reported Eichel did the same. So based on your logic, Matthews should take 8 x 9m since that's his true value and he loves Toronto
Proof they took less other than the GMs spinning it to make them look good?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad