Speculation: Does Matthews' injury bring down his contract?

Rudeboyting

Oct 31, 2018
As much as Leafs nation has made me hate Matthews, I think he still hands Dubas a blank check and rightfully so.

The injuries are slightly concerning considering shoulders are just a mfer and were poorly designed, and concussions are nasty business in general.

That said, I don’t think the injuries are serious enough yet to dethrone him as the 2nd best player in the league...and he will be paid as such

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
No, it just hurts his imaginary trade value, his ability, his potential ect..... it means he sucks more but over course it also means he's more expensive because HF logic.

Hate the Leafs, own the Leafs

Reactions: 7even

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Still hasn't even hit the 82 game mark and won't again this year (not his fault) but do you see this lowering his salary demands/expectations?
Except for, like, the 82 games he played in 2016-17, his rookie year.

Auston Matthews played every game of a complete injury-free NHL season in his draft year, and someone says "Still hasn't even hit the 82 game mark . . . "

Hey, thanks for your deep insight.

Reactions: Bedards Dad

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Still hasn't even hit the 82 game mark
AtKMZ9e.jpg

Reactions: 7even

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
No one knows what his contract was in the first place. if it was always at 10-11 per then it will most likely stay there.

For the loonies who thought it was going to close to mcDavid without any art ross, hart or 70+ point seasons, yeah maybe for them, they are coming back to reality.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Doubt it. Kid's a monster. If it does, maybe it brings it down 1-2 hundred K a year but even then i don't see it

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Well he misses out on a chance at winning a hart trophy or an art ross which would have boosted his contract.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Nope. When he gets a significant career impacting injury? Sure. Also - in 3 years he'll have played mostly complete seasons (assume he only misses those 4 weeks this year). It's one thing if in 3 years he had played 20, 30 and 40 games. It's not that big the time missed so far in the grand scheme of things.

Are the Leafs worried about it? 100% absolutely yes and anyone saying no is kidding themselves. It's their job to worry.

But so long as he comes back healthy with no significant impact to his long term health detected - it's his play on the ice that will determine his next contract. If he has a strong year 10M$+ is a minimum. If he has a spectacular year - 12M$ is closer. If he had an absolutely horrible and putrid year - well that's gonna start impacting his contract.

Also - 12.5M$ is *NOT* a barrier. I get the idea that he's not better than McDavid but market prices change and fluctuate year to year. He doesn't have to be to possibly earn a touch more. Maybe they even make a play of it - and sign him for 12.51M$, which would be hilarious

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Naw, he is going to get paid whatever he wants because Tor doesn't have a choice.
Lol idk how people don’t see this. With Nylander we can afford to let him sit out to try to get him to sign under market value. Matthews can take this team, bend Dubas forward and.. you get the rest. Matthews has all the leverage in this situation. If he takes a discount it’s becuase he wanted to, not because Dubas forced him to

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
If it does, I strongly think it probably wont be by much. So instead of 12m x 8y, maybe he gets 11.5m x 8y (using those numbers purely as a contrast example, not what I think he'll exactly get). Probably the best you could hope for if that's what's up. Every bit helps though, so there's that. Just don't count on it being very substantial savings (if anything at all).

Young stars get paid mostly on their potential and skill level -- any injury can happen to anyone at anytime. GMs know this and still throw tons of money at them.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Look the kid is a Star, no doubt about it but you have to take into consideration his injury history. After a full 82 games in his rookie year he has and will miss significant time; 20% in year two and potentially 30% ish this year. I pray I am wrong but look what happened with Lupul, great when healthy but you can't have a 12.5+ million dollar a year player sitting in the press box 20-30% of the season.

I think that puts him back into the 11 Million dollar range IMO.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
No. Leafs have no leverage here. If Matthews wants 12+ someone is going to give him 12+ and he knows it. And the Leafs know it. Either they cough up or he leaves. And I don't think forcing Matthews to sit is going to go over as well as forcing Nylander to sit.

That being said he may not be looking for 12 or 12+ I have no idea. Maybe he'll be fine matching Tavares. But it's completely up to him.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
My bigger problem is that he can become rather invisible in half the games he plays. He also doesn't use his frame to play physical at all. With open ice his elite skill takes over,but id be nervous if he was my top line center right now. Hes worth 10 mill right now no more.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Are you blind ? That Trouba hit was absolutely massive. He had like 6 or 7 strides coming from the blue line. I was not shocked he ****ed his shoulder up on that play. Still say it was charging. Not a dirty hit(quite nice actually).
I had to laugh at this. I just went back to the video, and Trouba circled back at the top of the circle, where he took one stride, then coasted, and took one more small stride before hitting Matthews. It was not a massive hit, Trouba is just very solid, and it caught Matthews awkwardly. It reminds me of Mike Grier's daily shoulder separations back in the day.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad