Does Kucherov become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year?

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Brendan Point has actualy a point to be considered better than Kucherov. When i watch reviews of the games i periodicaly see how he makes some nice plays. This something that i absolutely cannot say about Kucherov, who is just skating around and doing some passes or shots, but nothing special at all in terms of skill

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
"Best player in the world" - God I hate the phrase...sounds like something a 3rd grader would say. Everyone knows the NHL is the best league so "best player" works fine enough.

slikki

Nov 16, 2016
Does Kucherov become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year?

Dude has 128 Points Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, Hart Trophy, won Stanley Cup while playing injured.
cut.jpg

He also has the most Points in Playoffs since he entered the league.

upload_2021-5-22_22-10-42-png.437587

Yes. But only when you dont have 80m around you.

90m around you

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
He has a better case than MacK who is proving yet again that he beats up on crap teams in round 1 but then goes missing in the big games. Kucherov is definitely the 2nd best player in the league. The individual awards, stats and playoff performances prove it.

Reactions: MrGeno101

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
This season if anything should prove how valuable Kuch is to Tampa. He is the mastermind behind Tampas offensive. He's like a chess player. You think he's going to shoot, he passes. You think he will pass, he shoots and score. He just outsmart opponents, not always the most flashy and visible but after game you see he has 2-3 point with great smart plays. Best brain in hockey today.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Stanley Cups are lagging indicators of greatness.

Him being the best will win him cups. Winning cups does not make him the best.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
That doesn't make sense.. Gretzky's team won the Cup without him, would that alone disqualify him as best player?

This is not the same, Gretzky was traded to LA and then his FORMER team won a cup, he didn't take a regular season off and have his team carry on without him

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
McDavid had 9 pts in 4 games last year and still got bounced by the f***ing Hawks... Yeah McDavid's definitely the issue and it has nothing to do with the Oilers being dog shit...

Playin pretender.

There used to be(still is?) this narrative that Draisaitl cant drive his own line but judging from the playoffs it's the opposite.

McDavid so far got the greatest pseudopeak of all time, regular season vs same handful of teams over and over in a shortened year and a playin series that under normal circumstances would never be played.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This is not the same, Gretzky was traded to LA and then his FORMER team won a cup, he didn't take a regular season off and have his team carry on without him
His team finished 3rd in the division in the regular season. Is that considered a big accomplishment or something? I would say how dominant they've looked in the postseason with him is much more relevant than anything they did in the regular season. Yes, it was Gretzky's "former" team, but it was much the same core.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
His team finished 3rd in the division in the regular season. Is that considered a big accomplishment or something? I would say how dominant they've looked in the postseason with him is much more relevant than anything they did in the regular season. Yes, it was Gretzky's "former" team, but it was much the same core.

They finished 3rd without him, with a 15 point cushion... aka they didn't need him to be successful
This is a post about whether he's the 2nd best player in the league, and the 2nd best player in the league can't miss an entire regular season and his team doesn't even miss him

Could Colorado simply not play Mac and still make the playoffs by 15 points?
Could Pittsburg do that without Crosby or Washington without Ovie?

No, they couldn't, Tampa was a decent team without Kuch, so how could he be the 2nd best player in the entire league?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They finished 3rd without him, with a 15 point cushion... aka they didn't need him to be successful
This is a post about whether he's the 2nd best player in the league, and the 2nd best player in the league can't miss an entire regular season and his team doesn't even miss him

No, they couldn't, Tampa was a decent team without Kuch, so how could he be the 2nd best player in the entire league?
Not needing him to make the Playoffs is not the same as not needing him to make another Cup run.. You mentioned Crosby, but he only played in 22 regular season games in 2011-12 and the Penguins still made the postseason with a 51-25-6 record, I'm not going to go and try to forensic what the record with and without Crosby was, but that looks like a very comfortable Playoff team with its best player only appearing in about 1/4 of the season.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Playin pretender.

There used to be(still is?) this narrative that Draisaitl cant drive his own line but judging from the playoffs it's the opposite.

McDavid so far got the greatest pseudopeak of all time, regular season vs same handful of teams over and over in a shortened year and a playin series that under normal circumstances would never be played.
Are we really gonna use one 4 points in 4 game series to say what McDavid can't do in the postseason? Come on. Dude has been saddled on terrible teams, let's let his career play out and hopefully he will get more ample opportunities to show his stuff in Playoff Hockey. There is no magic switch to the postseason. Teams tighten up a bit and the refs swallow the whistle, but hockey is hockey. Don't overreact to very small sample sizes.

killa3312

Mar 4, 2015

Tampa with Kucherov for the entire season probably wins the President’s Trophy. Nevertheless, no Lightning fan cares about that trophy after their historically great team two seasons ago got swept by a mediocre Columbus team. The Bolts have learned to pace themselves and couldn’t care less about the regular season.

Reactions: Rschmitz

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Stanley Cups are lagging indicators of greatness.

Him being the best will win him cups. Winning cups does not make him the best.
I say this all the time in Basketball.. people say "if LeBron wins more championships, does he become the GOAT?" No.. Jordan won 6 rings in 8 years because he was the GOAT, he was not the GOAT because he won 6 rings in 8 years.

It's even more complicated in Hockey which is a depth driven sport that requires a lot more balance than Basketball with players in a 30+ hard Salary Capped League.

Reactions: Bevans

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It should very much be considered. He is hauling ass up the leaderboard in playoff points amongst active players. Right now he's at 1.7 PPG. If he won the Stanley Cup again at that pace and did it in 24 games, he'd be the only guy other than Gretzky and Lemieux to have a 40 point playoff year.

Whether or not he's considered the best in the world amongst his peers, he'll put a stamp on being a surefire HHOFer if he wins the Cup again back to back this year

Reactions: Rschmitz

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Not needing him to make the Playoffs is not the same as not needing him to make another Cup run.. You mentioned Crosby, but he only played in 22 regular season games in 2011-12 and the Penguins still made the postseason with a 51-25-6 record, I'm not going to go and try to forensic what the record with and without Crosby was, but that looks like a very comfortable Playoff team with its best player only appearing in about 1/4 of the season.

OMG, this is an entire post on whether he is the best player in the entire NHL.. the question is simple, is he the best player in the world, if he wins the cup this year? In my opinion, you probably aren't the BEST player in the world if your team can simply carry on and make the playoffs WITHOUT you playing a single game.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I'm 98% sure this thread has been made in reaction to the Mackinnon thread so it's hilarious. This is what HF Board is like.

One minute they are saying McDavid is the best we've seen since Mario/Gretz, literally 1 month later they are saying a guy who has never won a single individual trophy other than a Calder is better than him even though he's been in the league since 2013.

Mackinnon got paid 6.3M because he was BAD for a few years. If this was any other sport he'd be demanding a pay raise to $10+M and the Avs would be in the same position as other teams having to pay their best players top money.

Kucherov has always stayed in my top 5 players list even after his absence and he's reminding people he's a lot closer to #2 than some people think.

Reactions: User9992

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
OMG, this is an entire post on whether he is the best player in the entire NHL.. the question is simple, is he the best player in the world, if he wins the cup this year? In my opinion, you probably aren't the BEST player in the world if your team can simply carry on and make the playoffs WITHOUT you playing a single game.
I'm sorry, I agree McDavid is better, but I don't understand your underlying assumptions that are leading to your conclusion here. That just speaks to how good his team is, it has nothing to do with how good Kuchreov is (or isn't).

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I'm sorry, I agree McDavid is better, but I don't understand your underlying assumptions that are leading to your conclusion here. That just speaks to how good his team is, it has nothing to do with how good Kuchreov is (or isn't).

If you're the best player in the league... your team can't simply carry on without you with almost no change.
It is absolutely not meant to be a slight on how good Kucherov is
I do however think it's telling that they could easily make the playoffs without him, could you say the same for Hedman? Or Vas? I don't think so

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If you're the best player in the league... your team can't simply carry on without you with almost no change.
It is absolutely not meant to be a slight on how good Kucherov is
I do however think it's telling that they could easily make the playoffs without him, could you say the same for Hedman? Or Vas? I don't think so
You keep saying "almost no change" and are using the fact that they made the postseason. A lot of teams make the postseason, it's not a big accomplishment. It's not like they won the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad