Does Kucherov become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year?

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Does Kucherov become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year?

Dude has 128 Points Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, Hart Trophy, won Stanley Cup while playing injured.
cut.jpg

He also has the most Points in Playoffs since he entered the league.

upload_2021-5-22_22-10-42-png.437587

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Great thread!
(BTW winning the Cup while injured is actually a con, not a pro, since it suggests he was less influential)

Reactions: hoglund

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
I love the title.
For a moment, yes. After all playoff points is what matters. Especially if you have cups to support that stat.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He has better case than Mackinnon at least.

Agreed but neither have a case. McDavid's in a tier of his own. Give McDavid a supporting cast of Point, Stamkos, Palat, Cirelli, Killorn, Coleman, Gourde, Johnson, Goodrow, Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Cernak, Vasilevskiy or Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri, Burakovsky, Saad, Nichuskin, Donskoi, Makar, Girard, Toews, Graves, Grubauer and he does better than either Kucherov or MacKinnon.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Agreed but neither have a case. McDavid's in a tier of his own. Give McDavid a supporting cast of Point, Stamkos, Palat, Killorn, Coleman, Gourde, Johnson, Goodrow, Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Cernak, Vasilevskiy or Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri, Burakovsky, Saad, Nichuskin, Donskoi, Makar, Girard, Toews, Graves, Grubauer and he does better than either Kucherov or MacKinnon.

Nah, Kucherov plays like a warrior, and McDavid plays like a teen cheerleader...

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Kucherov scored the same number of points in his 2nd playoffs run as McDavid's scored so far overall.

Gee I wonder why McDavid has so few playoff games in comparison to Kucherov. Kucherov definitely has ~4.5x the playoff games McDavid has because individually he's 4.5x the player that McDavid is. It's certainly not because the Lightning's supporting cast around Kucherov is 4.5x better than the Oiler's cast around McDavid.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Gee I wonder why McDavid has so few playoff games in comparison to Kucherov. Kucherov definitely has ~4.5x the playoff games McDavid has because individually he's 4.5x the player that McDavid is. It's certainly because the Lightning's supporting cast around Kucherov is 4.5x better than the Oiler's cast around McDavid.

Yeah, sure, it's all about cast. McDavid's the regular's PPG this season is 1.9, McDavid's playoffs PPG this season is 1.0. Kucherov's playoffs PPG for last two seasons is 1.44. In 36 games.

Bored

Jan 13, 2008
Did we not have a similar thread last week about a certain Avs player that has now almost been debunked?

I see a certain trend happening here.

But to answer your question directly, No!!!

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
McDavid is the best player. We all know and agree, even if some might post differently. To be called the best - you have to do something special, or be consistent over a few years.

2 Years ago - Kucherov scored 128 points. I think all summer long he earned the right to be called 'co-best' with McDavid if some wanted to do so, it was a historic season. The problem is the following season his production went down. Absolutely good enough in the past ~3-4 years to be called #2 (cpl of others have a case too) - but for #1, his production needed to be higher to keep pace with McDavid.

I think winning a cup + smythe this year doesn't change that. Here are two paths for Kucherov to be called the co-best once again in the next few months:

1. He wins the cup this year with a historic smythe run. 40+ points (only Gretzky & Lemieux did that). If he does that? Sure - 'co-best' with McDavid, i'd buy into that. 40+ points in playoffs, pretty damn historic

2. If he doesn't do that historic smythe run (whether he wins cup and smythe or not - just no historic smythe run) - I'd want him to pace McDavid next year in the Ross/Hart/Lindsay race. Even if he ends up only a couple of points back and doesn't win - if he can show he can once again pace McDavid (and score in that ~120-130 point range), and if you combine that with his playoff record clearly better than McDavid - I think that would also be enough to earn him the mantle of "co-best" in the world.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Did we not have a similar thread last week about a certain Avs player that has now almost been debunked?

I see a certain trend happening here.

But to answer your question directly, No!!!

We did.

But Kucherov swept awards and has a historic 128 point season (more than McDavid, or any other player this century)
Kucherov led league in playoff points on the way to cup last year - and leads again in playoff points again this year in round 3.

MacKinnon never won any awards - and although great on a per-game basis in playoffs, still hasn't surpassed round 2, ever.

I think the Kucherov comparison is a lot more relevant than MacKinnon. I agree with you it's still McDavid - but Kucherov at least has a path in my opinion to reasonably be called "co-best" with McDavid depending on how historic his current playoff run ends up being, or if he's able to repeat his 128 point season next year. I don't think either of those things happen - but at least I see a plausible path.

Reactions: User9992

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad