Does Kucherov become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year?

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Not needing him to make the Playoffs is not the same as not needing him to make another Cup run.. You mentioned Crosby, but he only played in 22 regular season games in 2011-12 and the Penguins still made the postseason with a 51-25-6 record, I'm not going to go and try to forensic what the record with and without Crosby was, but that looks like a very comfortable Playoff team with its best player only appearing in about 1/4 of the season.

I was going to say the same thing lol. Pens finished 4th in the league in 10/11 and 11/12. Crosby played a total of 63/164 games. Guess Crosby wasn't anywhere close to the best player at that time.

Reactions: User9992

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
That was probably too big exageration when i said that kucherov's game not contain skill, maybe he even better overall, ya v dushe ne ebu, i just meant that point are clearly better with the puck, more slick and nice to watch

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The fact he took place in this LTIR crap says absolutely not.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
No. But this is a pretty elaborate jinx thread.

Could instead call him one of the most clutchest playoff performers of the last decade though. I don't think too many people will get triggered by that sentiment. The numbers back up the claim to some degree.

And while I'm all for the ideology that numbers aren't everything about a player... trust me, Kucherov is better than any numbers you're ever going to see.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I'm sorry, I agree McDavid is better, but I don't understand your underlying assumptions that are leading to your conclusion here. That just speaks to how good his team is, it has nothing to do with how good Kuchreov is (or isn't).
I do however think it's telling that they could easily make the playoffs without him, could you say the same for Hedman? Or Vas? I don't think so

Is this not an argument against Wayne Gretzky too?

I think you're creating false equivalency between the calibre of the team and player. Sounds like you're trying to argue he's not the best player, because he's not the most valuable player. Those two are correlated but not causal. This is why we have both the Lester B and the Hart.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Imagine being so dumb at knowing hockey you actually think mcdavid isn’t the best player by far in the world.

Anyone that knows and watches hockey knows mcdavid isn’t only in a tier of his own in hockey - he’s #1 at being better than the second best player in all four of the major North American sports.

Reactions: Bored

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Do you know anything about hockey?
No the person doesn’t.

imagine thinking someone who has won just a single individual trophy in 8 years in the nhl is best player on world - and better than a guy winning mvps easily.

Op is either a troll or should be banned from talking hockey ever again

Evergreen

No. If I had to rank the players on Tampa, he'd be behind Hedman. And I don't think Hedman is the best player in the world either.

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
No. If I had to rank the players on Tampa, he'd be behind Hedman. And I don't think Hedman is the best player in the world either.

True and Hedman is behind Vasi if we are talking about all positions. If we are talking about the best forwards focusing mainly on impact in the playoffs I'd probably take Point before Kuch even though it's close. Kuch is a monster on the powerplay but Point is more impactful on 5on5 and he just has the clutch gene. Then again the powerplay has been a major piece in this year's run so maybe that would flip it to Kucherov.

Would be cool to see how McDavid would fare in Point's position in Tampa.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No. He has a supporting cast 20 million over the cap.

Exactly and a 2nd SC isn’t going to make him the best player in the world, TB is clearly stacked and has depth as well.

Kuching is a great player but honestly in the last 3 years and even going into next year at any time for a single season there would have been easily 5 guys I would take over him for a hypothetical single season.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Do you not watch NHL hockey? Regardless of any team achievements McDavid is clearly the best player in the game.

Pretty straight forward and obvious quite frankly.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Man, the difference between Kucherov's fans and McDavid's fans is the latter invent reasons, why McDavid isn't as good as Kucherov in playoffs, and the former just say obvious facts.

I like both players about the same, but to suggest Kucherov is a better player than McDavid because of cherry picked data is disingenuous. Sorry, that's all there is to say about it.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Are we really gonna use one 4 points in 4 game series to say what McDavid can't do in the postseason? Come on. Dude has been saddled on terrible teams, let's let his career play out and hopefully he will get more ample opportunities to show his stuff in Playoff Hockey. There is no magic switch to the postseason. Teams tighten up a bit and the refs swallow the whistle, but hockey is hockey. Don't overreact to very small sample sizes.

It's not 4 games, it's 17. "Terrible teams blabla". I could just as easily say that he plays with another top 5 player in the world on a regular basis and get spoonfed tons of icetime, don't have to share pp-time etc.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I like both players about the same, but to suggest Kucherov is a better player than McDavid because of cherry picked data is disingenuous. Sorry, that's all there is to say about it.

How about actual results? Higher regular season peak, higher playoff peak. Anyway I don't agree but that's not cherry picking.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What's the deal with the absolute obsession to say that any player is better than McDavid?

I really don't get it. McDavid's obviously the best player in hockey.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
Agreed but neither have a case. McDavid's in a tier of his own. Give McDavid a supporting cast of Point, Stamkos, Palat, Cirelli, Killorn, Coleman, Gourde, Johnson, Goodrow, Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Cernak, Vasilevskiy or Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri, Burakovsky, Saad, Nichuskin, Donskoi, Makar, Girard, Toews, Graves, Grubauer and he does better than either Kucherov or MacKinnon.
McDavid is in a tier of his own in the regular season. But the OP said best hockey player not best regular season hockey player.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->