Speculation: Does Green last the season?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I thought that this thread was about Green...apparently not.
Will Benning have the authority now to replace Green? Maybe Aquilini replaces Benning, and the new GM replaces Green? I’m of the opinion the owner won’t put up with this group playing as poorly as they have to start the year for very long before he makes changes.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Every analytic blogger has pointed to Pettersson needing more usage.

and green isnt doing it
He doesnt get enough time 5v5, and people dont understand why
13:13 is not enough.

even Uffe Bodin who covers the SHL said when Pettersson was in the SHL and he won every award and scoring title he did it with only 16 mins a night which was almost 3 minutes less per game than the others close to him in scoring

Im not saying he is better or worse than these players but
Barzal is over 16 mins 5v5
Matthews is over 16 mins 5v5
Point is 15 mins 5v5
McDavid is 16 mins 5v5
Draisaitl is 16 mins 5v5
Eichel is is 16 mins 5v5

Green needs to play him more especially when you consider then sheer volume of penalties that he draws.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
What has become quite obvious over time is this: FA truly loves being the smartest guy in the organization.

p159395_p_v10_ab.jpg

Reactions: vanuck

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
How many times do you have to miss the playoffs before you are fired as a GM? There always seems to be a crowd that continues to say "let Benning stay on board to see how things play out". We have seen and are seeing how things play out already....there should not be the reward of another year, if this one does not work out. He has had PLENTY of time to put his mark on the team....unfortunately, it has been a big "X"!

I agree with you. If I had it my way, Benning would have been gone many years ago.

That's just what I believe ownership is thinking.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree with you. If I had it my way, Benning would have been gone many years ago.

That's just what I believe ownership is thinking.
Everything comes down to expectations. Laviolette in Washington is about getting to the final 4 at a minimum. Reirden got 2 years and was out in round 1 both years. Keefe, has to get there too IMo for him and Dubas.

was Benning going to miss the playoffs when he took over. Yes. Absolutely. Gillis was planning on doing that from all of his supporters because he had a plan right?

now the expectation for Benning is to move into the consistent playoff team. If they take a step back then he should be out now. That’s his expectations now.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Soon to be bottom of the division at 1-3. If this losing continues, as I believe it will, how bad can the record get before Green is out? 1-6, or 1-8?

Reactions: David71

Canucklehead94

Jul 5, 2012
He has to go. His inexperience is showing again. If it was just this season, that's one thing but he's shown the same things for a while now. He's simply a bad coach and so are Baumgartner and Brown. They all have to go. The PK stinks, the PP is worse. Time for a change.

Reactions: Green Blank Stare

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Everything comes down to expectations. Laviolette in Washington is about getting to the final 4 at a minimum. Reirden got 2 years and was out in round 1 both years. Keefe, has to get there too IMo for him and Dubas.

was Benning going to miss the playoffs when he took over. Yes. Absolutely. Gillis was planning on doing that from all of his supporters because he had a plan right?

now the expectation for Benning is to move into the consistent playoff team. If they take a step back then he should be out now. That’s his expectations now.

All true, but the COVID year may put a wrench into things. He might get one last pass, just because lol.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kind of saw this coming.....figured that if the Canucks got off to a brutal start, Green would be the fall guy. It isn't just the special teams....they'll eventually come around.

But what will spell the end is the Canucks awful defensive play, which has been a hallmark of Green-coached teams for the past three seasons. Defensive play is all about coaching, or lack of it. And they just aren't getting any better.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
4th line was bad again and got too much ice-time; that 8-10 mins on ES needs to be cut down to 4-5, especially when we're trailing.

Best move by Green so far this year was pulling the goalie with 4 minutes left, usually he waits too long.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
so does green get the axe early if the slide continues... whose avaliable right now if green does get canned.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Green's system needs to be overhauled, and I'm not sure if he is willing to do that. This team plays too far apart at times and tries too many stretch passes and dumps. Also they need a default system they can fall back on so the bottom half of the lineup is more effective, and one that doesn't tire the team out. I said this last year as well when we were slumping offensively.

what system is he even instructing these guys to play. yes i know he wants his defenseman to pinch in sometimes. but what about the rest of the guys.?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's being repeated often....the definition of 'insanity' is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.

So putting Beagle, Sutter, Edler and Hamonic out there in the pk all night long and expecting a kill, is about as effective as a Vulcan mind meld.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's being repeated often....the definition of 'insanity' is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.

So putting Beagle, Sutter, Edler and Hamonic out there in the pk all night long and expecting a kill, is about as effective as a Vulcan mind meld.
Who are the other options at this point? Need 2 sets of pk units. Schmidt and Myers kill. Means you put Hughes and Juolevi out there. Motte is out there. Can put Bo or Miller in to do it if you need to.

this is what the team is paying these vets to do. That’s a $14 mill PK unit that isn’t getting the job done.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Just clean f***ing house already. Tired of these half assed measures. We’ve tried firing the coach before, it doesn’t work. Start at the top and get rid of Mr Dumbass himself because I really don’t want to see him set my team back another 10 years due to stupid contracts he will hand out once he gets cap space.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Who are the other options at this point? Need 2 sets of pk units. Schmidt and Myers kill. Means you put Hughes and Juolevi out there. Motte is out there. Can put Bo or Miller in to do it if you need to.

this is what the team is paying these vets to do. That’s a $14 mill PK unit that isn’t getting the job done.
Our PK has our guys standing, and allowing the elite skilled players time and space to make plays. Is our PK poor because of the guys out there or the systems used? Our forecheck is poorly designed too. We get guys trapped behind the play, which forces our d to back in (giving up the blue line) because there is no back pressure.

Reactions: David71

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just clean f***ing house already. Tired of these half assed measures. We’ve tried firing the coach before, it doesn’t work. Start at the top and get rid of Mr Dumbass himself because I really don’t want to see him set my team back another 10 years due to stupid contracts he will hand out once he gets cap space.
That freed up cap space has to first go and extend Petey and Hughes before he’s able to do anything wi th the remainder of it.

Not sure how long his extension was for that she signed in 2019. Likely 2-3 years added to the last year of his deal.
If they take a step back and end up out of the playoffs he is probably gone along with green. If you need a new coach anyways let a new gm hire him.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Unless the Canucks are going to get a world class coach (Trotz) then I don’t think we’d see much improvement with a coaching chance. It’s not Green’s fault Benning constructed a poopy roster with terrible depth.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Only in Vancouver.
2 weeks ago, everybody was squealing for Benning to get Green's extension done.
1-3 start after 4 games (all on the road), and many are calling for his head
SMH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad