Speculation: Does Engvall deserve to be on the Leafs?

Does Engvall deserve to be on the Leafs?

• Total voters

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The race to the bottom is a close one, between 3 or 4 players, and I don't always think Simmonds is the one leading it. Your comment is a biased/emotional one.

Well that comment was from the summer and I'll admit Simmonds is playing great for his caphit.

And tbh the "race to the bottom" on our roster looks pretty damn great to me. I like all of them.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
He's a useful player. Is he going to be the ~0.5 point per game player he was looking like before he signed his contract? Probably not, his offensive instincts begin and end with weak wristers from 40 feet out. But $1.25m is hardly anything to lose sleep over.

He's a good penalty killer, and he's got size, length, and speed that you can't really teach. As much as I'm not usually a believer in those types of evaluations you can definitely see it on the ice with Engvall. He can transition the puck up the ice as well as anyone on the team because he's fast as hell and can hold the puck about 40 feet away from any defender's stick. And there's really no better defense than having the puck at the other end of the ice.

I was unsure about his spot because this team's MO has always been all-offense up and down the lineup. I thought a guy like Brooks or Ho-Sang could/should take that spot. But with the team playing more balanced, I've seen a lot of good from Engvall in the bottom six this season.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I like the 3rd line, Kampf is the defensive glue, Kase has some offense and boundless energy while Engval helps defend but generally moves the puck out of TO's end to set up another OZ chance for the next line.

It's a balanced line, all players on this line are even or in the plus on the +/- scale and they aren't being given protected TOI, actually their DZ starts are the highest in the NHL, they play against the opposition's best lines and play them even, that's awesome. I read somewhere that Kampf and Kase Corsi for is 54 % with Engval, 47% without.

Reactions: fancy lad

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
With 111 games in the show, Engvall has yet to see a consistent role on the team. He's big, fast, strong, defensively good on the PK and for the most part ES. He can shoot the puck pretty well, but often does so in awkward situations. He is inconsistent, but so are many players with the same amount of games under their belts. If you can get a better player if you trade him (most likely in a package deal) sure, go ahead, this is an important year for the team, but I don't think we're at the point where we are looking at a finished product.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Reminds me most of Boyd Devereaux with the effortless stride, the long body, the mostly non-aggressive nature and the type of skills that can't be used at a high tempo. Not a banger, aware positionally, not appropriate on the wing with the star players. He's an in-between type of player filling a hole until a better option comes along.

Reactions: geo25

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's one of our better defensive winger options. As it stands he's needed for our shutdown line.

3rd line right now would be Engvall/Kampf/Mikheyev

So how do you like it so far?

I think it is a legit 3rd. line, especially since Mikheyev recovered from his injury.

I actually think Engvall has both the tools and a toolbox.

Engvall's problem is he doesn't always know the right time to use each tool.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
So how do you like it so far?

I think it is a legit 3rd. line, especially since Mikheyev recovered from his injury.

I actually think Engvall has both the tools and a toolbox.

Engvall's problem is he doesn't always know the right time to use each tool.

Agreed. I think they've been pretty effective.

Wondering what his contract next year might look like. 1 more year until UFA. Cheap one year deal feels likely but I wonder if he's done enough to make them consider giving a little more AAV for a multi year deal.

Last edited:

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
This guy does nothing when a team pushes back. Always shines and racks up the fans who think he's suddenly an amazing depth player when the games are easy.

He's soft and becomes a ghost in "real" games. A guy who is easily boxed out against the depth of jackets and habs is not a guy I will lose sleep over if they choose to replace him for the playoff run.

It's facts that he's one of the softest players on the team. A team whose coach even called them soft. That's a serious level of soft to be the softest guy on a team your coach called soft.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This guy does nothing when a team pushes back. Always shines and racks up the fans who think he's suddenly an amazing depth player when the games are easy.

He's soft and becomes a ghost in "real" games. A guy who is easily boxed out against the depth of jackets and habs is not a guy I will lose sleep over if they choose to replace him for the playoff run.

You want to talk about being ineffective in "real" games, you're going to have to expand your list to include some ghosts making 9 times the amount Engvall does.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

It's facts that he's one of the softest players on the team. A team whose coach even called them soft. That's a serious level of soft to be the softest guy on a team your coach called soft.

In the midst of calling his team's performance soft in that one game, he went out of his way to point out how good engvall's line was.

Reactions: The Iceman

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
He just needs to be more consistent & not shy away from being aggressive or hard on the puck/body.

He is becoming more consistent. He's still only played 125 games, has been used all over the line-up, has 2 more points (14) than last year having played 7 fewer games, his playing time with Kamph is elevating Kamph's successes greater than the opposite, he's tied in league scoring with Josh Anderson and his 5+M contract while playing 3 min less a night. He's not a hitting machine, but that too is improving. He's a work in progress and getting better. His zone exits are really helping the team and his penalty killing abilities are solid. Patience friends, he may not be the second coming, but as a 3rd and 4th liner who can sub in at C on occasion is not a bad player to have, especially as an RFA he is only eligible for a QO of 1.25M. If he continues to improve, I can see him potting 30+ points this year, all while being a decent defensively aware player.

Reactions: freshwind

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Screenshot_20220123-125217_Sheets.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad