Speculation: Does Engvall deserve to be on the Leafs?

Does Engvall deserve to be on the Leafs?

• Total voters

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I think he's a useful player to have.

If everyone is healthy and all our reclamation projects and rookies pan out and the older guys keep contributing then yea it's possible that Engvall will not be one the playing 12 forwards. But this is usually never the case, and there's always injuries that come up.

He can skate decently; not bad hockey sense; kills penalties. If he could just use his size and not do those dumb loop backs if he's not confident or capable enough to pull it off, I think he'd have a bigger role on the team.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Who does he knock out of the lineup? Kase if he can’t overcome the injuries. Simmonds is probably the worst forward, but we need some toughness. Maybe Spezza falls off this year.

Does anyone think Dubas would have still signed Simmonds to a 2yr deal if he knew he could get Nick Ritchie? I doubt it very much...If he doesn't play well I doubt Keefe will sit him very often...good guy in the room supposedly.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
i understand why people hate engvall but TODAY probably the best option at 4C.
we have no depth after kampf.

we picked up a crap ton of wingers and part of me is starting to wonder what the plan down the middle is going to be ...

I thought the center depth would be:
Matthews
Tavares
Kerfoot
Kampf

Reactions: teddygmr

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Does anyone think Dubas would have still signed Simmonds to a 2yr deal if he knew he could get Nick Ritchie? I doubt it very much...If he doesn't play well I doubt Keefe will sit him very often...good guy in the room supposedly.

Interesting point. Simmonds definitely brings the least to the table of anyone on the team.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Pandemic cap freeze is literally the only reason this conversation is happening.

If he had a 700K contract I don't think anyone would have an issue.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
My issues isn't exactly with Engvall himself, though I think he's average at best defensively and offers little else.

My issue is for 500k less we could replace him and quite likely get more for our money. He hasn't earned a spot, and he costs too much relative to what he contributes

Agreed. And I don't think you can have both Mik and Engvall on the same team

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Engvall has 15G in 90 career games and plays solid defensively, and is being paid $1.25 million. I don't see any issue with a player like this.

He is still young, has excellent size and a fantastic skater for a guy that big. Not to mention he can play centre. The hate he gets is ridiculous. I believe he was a homegrown late round pick to boot.

Reactions: teddygmr

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yes, because I suspect Simmonds was retained as much for his leadership/dressing room presence as much as his on ice play

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Simmonds and Ritchie helps all our soft players and makes the whole team less fun to play against.Simmonds played well and got injured.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Every team has their Engvalls and Ritchies.

When TOR re-tools the roster for the playoffs I wouldn't be heart broken if Engvall was a healthy scratch here and there.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Every team has their Engvalls and Ritchies.

When TOR re-tools the roster for the playoffs I wouldn't be heart broken if Engvall was a healthy scratch here and there.
Engvall will most likely be a healthy scratch once Mikheyev returns. Until another injury happens where he can slot back in.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If our desire is to have a defensive line he should be on it

Mikheyev - Kampf - Engvall
That line would have 80% D zone starts, but spend 80% of their time firing blanks at the opposing goalie. Works for me as a shutdown line though , even if they don’t score.

Kase adds a bit of offense to a line with Kampf Mikheyev. Keep Engvall on the 4th, he’s fine there too.

When everyone’s healthy he probably gets scratched.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Engvall will most likely be a healthy scratch once Mikheyev returns. Until another injury happens where he can slot back in.

Once Mik and Mza are back they will have to go back to a 21 man roster, so someone besides Semyonov will have to go.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Interesting point. Simmonds definitely brings the least to the table of anyone on the team.

The race to the bottom is a close one, between 3 or 4 players, and I don't always think Simmonds is the one leading it. Your comment is a biased/emotional one.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
We've seen quite a bit of him now and know when he's on (rarely) he is so useful to have.

But anytime he loses motivation or things going low, he disappears. Need to see that consistency more going forward. I havent minded him too much with Kämpf and Kaše.

We'll see how his season progresses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad