Speculation: Does Engvall deserve to be on the Leafs?

Does Engvall deserve to be on the Leafs?

• Total voters

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Engvall has been an underrated pleasent surprise. Don't know if he can keep it up but if he can, he has a combo that could help us.

Reactions: uncleben

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
What exactly has Engvall been doing that’s been egregiously bad? He’s been pitching in middle six offense and forming a pesky 3rd line with Mik and Kampf.

Sometimes you think he could be so much more, and he doesn’t always bring it, but he hasn’t hurt anything.

9Iron

Nov 25, 2009
Imagine thinking Pierre Engvall is anywhere close to being in the top of half of Leaf issues. You know the part you leave completely alone because it is doing it's job and you have way bigger problems to deal with... As a 3rd line guy with potential for more he is a gift.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The real question is who comes out of the lineup if/when we add another forward....

....Spezza or simmonds?

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The real question is who comes out of the lineup if/when we add another forward....

....Spezza or simmonds?

That's a really good question. In attempting to answer it, I'll say that Spezza's ability to play centre possibly provides him with the competitive advantage there. I believe the team is more likely to add a defenceman though.

Reactions: zeke

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
I understand some of the hate - but he is over whipped on these boards imo.
It's the playoff performances for me. I'd like to actually win a round. I've done my fair share of love/hate cycles with Engvall to the point I'm over him. He needs to show some intensity in the playoffs to win me back over. I already know what he can do as a depth player in the regular season where over half of the games are smooth sailing because we're a good team.

For a team that has lost twice in a row to under dogs, that should be understandable. Let me hate in peace at least it keeps players on their toes :sarcasm:

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
What everyone also seems to forget about Engvall:

He was our 7th round pick and developed through OUR system. We certainly have the ability to develop some late picks. He's worked hard and deserves the opportunity (as much as I've been on his case in the past).

Long live the Giraffe.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd still move him, especially if he has to be in a trade to make the money work then it is what it is.

But I'm pretty happy with his current play.

Still don't know if I want to give him a raise but he's doing good so far

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm still not a fan, but as long as he's doing things to help TOR then I'm fine. If only he were a little more edgy...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Engvall is a decent bottom six player. We could wish for more physicality from him, given his size.. but he's effective enough.

I don't think any changes are made to the forward group, outside of moving Ritchie perhaps, or a low key depth move. It should be the D that is concentrated on. Even then, Holl has been acceptable of late, but maybe just not physical enough.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010

....Spezza or simmonds?

Its a fair question. I think assuming full health (big assumption) - if they can on the cap they would rotate Spezza/Simmonds/Engvall during the regular season and maybe mix in some load management for a few guys to add to the rotation. Bound to be an injury at some point nagging or longer term that would allow for them to avoid having to make the decision...

I think come playoffs if they're fully healthy it could create an issue though obviously.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Da real issue with Engval is same as with our core 5 issues .. is he a late season and playoff skater boy?????????????? .. much like Mik too?????????????? Good news is both Engval and Mik can handle da speed of playoff hockey but can they handle da grit and maintain da puck????????????????????? This will be final year of this group if they crap out in round 1 as most of us suspect led by Dubie/Keefer

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Da real issue with Engval is same as with our core 5 issues .. is he a late season and playoff skater boy?????????????? .. much like Mik too?????????????? Good news is both Engval and Mik can handle da speed of playoff hockey but can they handle da grit and maintain da puck????????????????????? This will be final year of this group if they crap out in round 1 as most of us suspect led by Dubie/Keefer

47 and 65 have size, speed, some hands but soft as a baby's bottom. If they had just a little bit of an edge and some push back, they'd probably be in line for a nice pay day.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Engvall I'm not concerned with in his current role. 4th line suits him, where we asked him to be 3rd line in the past. He's not good enough for full time 3rd line on our team. He isn't overly physical, but he does well with puck control, using his size. Engvall has been using his size more as of late, hopefully that does carry through to the playoffs.

Mik, this is the first we've seen him fully healthy heading into the playoffs.

We need everyone to step up... Mitch too... he's played a good game as of late, even winning board battles... I'm seeing some commitments that weren't there in the past throughout the lineup.

We just need a bit of heavy in the back end. I'd even look at Schenn as a #7 if the cost wasn't much...

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Engvall I'm not concerned with in his current role. 4th line suits him, where we asked him to be 3rd line in the past. He's not good enough for full time 3rd line on our team. He isn't overly physical, but he does well with puck control, using his size. Engvall has been using his size more as of late, hopefully that does carry through to the playoffs.

Mik, this is the first we've seen him fully healthy heading into the playoffs.

We need everyone to step up... Mitch too... he's played a good game as of late, even winning board battles... I'm seeing some commitments that weren't there in the past throughout the lineup.

We just need a bit of heavy in the back end. I'd even look at Schenn as a #7 if the cost wasn't much...

IMO we need an upgrade on Holl and/or Lily. With Holl as our #3RHD and Lily and Dermott as our #7 and #8 D we are set. Worst case, I would take Chara over Schenn in for Lily.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The 47 that played early in the Habs series last year seemed to play with a burr in his saddle. I hope he is saving his angry side for the playoffs.

Not sure if he'd drop them, and I think that might be a concern of his (my speculation).
If he plays physical would opposition be dropping the gloves because he's a tall guy and therefore a justifiable target?
Needs some boxing lessons, Jim Dorey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad