Speculation: Does Engvall deserve to be on the Leafs?

Does Engvall deserve to be on the Leafs?

• Total voters

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I like Engvall, but we can get a 4th liner for 750k and not notice much difference

That 500k saved however, can add us a 2M piece at the trade deadline if we are in it

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I like Engvall, but we can get a 4th liner for 750k and not notice much difference

That 500k saved however, can add us a 2M piece at the trade deadline if we are in it

So now we're downgrading on our $1.25M players to find $500k?

That's just sad.

Reactions: ToneDog

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
So now we're downgrading on our $1.25M players to find $500k?

That's just sad.
Welcome to being tight against the cap lol

I don't know if it would really be a downgrade tbh. Engvall is a 4th liner with a little upside.....we could probably get an equal 4th liner without that ceiling (and a little older) for 750k-800k. That cap space at the deadline could mean we dont have to push out extra assets this year to get 75% retention on a guy

He's nice, but replaceable

Reactions: geo25

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Matthews letting players scruff him around while smiling was the biggest embarrassment we have seen from a Leaf in a long time. Mats Sundin wasn’t a fighter but could you imagine anyone trying that with him. Matthews is a punk. He showed it dropping his pants at a women. Doesn’t get much worse than both of them acts
Down below is a video of Mats Sundin hanging on for deal life avoiding a fight against Gary Roberts. Would you prefer to have Sundin or Matthews drop the gloves, get their asses kicked and prove what exactly? If your star player is fighting, you have bigger problems because the worst thing you can do is have them off the ice for at least 5 minutes , they're there to score, not fight.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Down below is a video of Mats Sundin hanging on for deal life avoiding a fight against Gary Roberts. Would you prefer to have Sundin or Matthews drop the gloves, get their asses kicked and prove what exactly? If your star player is fighting, you have bigger problems because the worst thing you can do is have them off the ice for at least 5 minutes , they're there to score, not fight.

Nobody is saying for Matthews to fight just handle it in a less embarrassing way. Push him off you and skate away. Can’t let Petry goad you into taking a penalty when we have the PP

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Nobody is saying for Matthews to fight just handle it in a less embarrassing way. Push him off you and skate away. Can’t let Petry goad you into taking a penalty when we have the PP
I'll give you another example, Eddie Shack skating away from the Blues players was far worse than what Matthews did. Ultimately, this stuff is irrelevant. Matthews laughing at an opposing player trying to goad him into a penalty is hardly worth talking about. Retaliation, no matter how minor, could actually get him a penalty. You don't want your star players in those scrums because its not worth it, especially if a player gets in a good sucker punch on him

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I remember that and it was stupid but we’re talking about how the ragdoll incident was handled
I've always wanted Matthews to play with more of an edge, especially for a man his stature on a team that's been a bit soft in the past, it bugs me. But honestly the increase in aggressiveness & push-back he played with this year while be nominated for the lady byng (low PIM trophy), it was effective. What he did after the whistle ended up in a powerplay for the Leafs; I'm not complaining. Pushback is great but what he did was better in that scenario.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Not the same and the context of that game we don’t know either. That is not standing there taking a thrashing doing nothing. He couldn’t fight but wouldn’t take sh!t. That video is not goung to add anythingbto the fact Matthews is a corward

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Not the same and the context of that game we don’t know either. That is not standing there taking a thrashing doing nothing. He couldn’t fight but wouldn’t take sh!t. That video is not goung to add anythingbto the fact Matthews is a corward
He was hanging on for dear life because he was afraid of getting his ass kicked lol . Don't like that example, go watch Eddie Shack against the Blues . All I'm saying is, its dumb to complain about it. Pushing back wont do anything, everyone and their mother knows he's not fighting

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

This is nothing like what Matthews did. Nothing.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He was hanging on for dear life because he was afraid of getting his ass kicked lol . Don't like that example, go watch Eddie Shack against the Blues . All I'm saying is, its dumb to complain about it. Pushing back wont do anything, everyone and their mother knows he's not fighting
What is not there is who came out after To pick up for him. Domi likely. They didn’t get away with it then. Sundin caused all kinds of that stuff. So did Gilmour. Clark or domi or numerous others were coming right after that.
Matthews should fight. Marner too. The way the roster was they would just keep getting it. Ritchie has never lost a fight. I Sh!t you not. Thats the difference coming here over Hyman on Matthews wing. Hyman couldn’t lick a stamp and scared nobody. Gabriel can play enough for fourth line too Never know it the way everyone is calling him a AHLer. He’s on his way to being a good 4th liner. About time some chippy players were added

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Engvall is on the same path as Gauthier who is sitting without a contract. Gauthier needed to play physical and would not. So he is likely out of the league. Not very smart of him. Goat and Engvall might be teammates in another league. Softer than a wet noodle both of them.
We don’t need or want Engvall’s for most fans anyways

Reactions: Cobra777

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
With Kampf who can play the third line center role, I would trade Engvall. Trade him for a draft pick which also opens up an extra 1.25 million dollars.

That would make the most sense when the timing is right.

Is he worth a 3rd ? We need to recoup a 3rd,4th,5th,6th for the 2022 Draft.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I only picked no because of all the additions at forward there is just no space for him anymore, and everybody trying to push Mikheyev out forget he literally does everything right (but finish lol).

He is a great defensive third liner and if he can get a little bit of a scoring touch he could be even better.

Reactions: teddygmr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad