Does Barzal deserve a suspension? (Update: fined $5k)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think it has the violence or danger level to warrant a suspension. I think the major penalty seems overkill. He deserves a fine, but a suspension would be silly here.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Who knows? He could get nothing, he could get a game or multiple games, he could get an out for the series suspension and everyone here would have no idea if it was justified. The DPOS is just that bad at their job and we all accept it.

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
I don't think it has the violence or danger level to warrant a suspension. I think the major penalty seems overkill. He deserves a fine, but a suspension would be silly here.

Question is if a major penalty in a 6-0 game is sufficient. For something that happened with the other player skating away, not engaging, and clearly in a predatory manner I’m not so sure it is

Reactions: Hoek

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I think it deserves suspension (1 gamer?) for 3 reasons:

The game was 6-0 at the time, completely out of hand.

Rutta did not come back.

Barzal is fully aware of the contact he made to the head, sees Rutta going down, but it doesn't stop him, he continues to engage Rutta, and drives him into the ice as Rutta is going down from the crosscheck. Just gives the whole sequence "yes, meant to do that and more" look.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Question is if a major penalty in a 6-0 game is sufficient. For something that happened with the other player skating away, not engaging, and clearly in a predatory manner I’m not so sure it is
If he had gone straight for the head, sure. But his initial attack is not at the head. The shot to the head is part of the ensuing scuffle, which to me mitigates the severity a bit and certainly separates it from what you are describing. It's possible that the shot to the head was altered from its initial path.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think it deserves suspension (1 gamer?) for 3 reasons:

The game was 6-0 at the time, completely out of hand.

Rutta did not come back.

Barzal is fully aware of the contact he made to the head, sees Rutta going down, but it doesn't stop him, he continues to engage Rutta, and drives him into the ice as Rutta is going down from the crosscheck. Just gives the whole sequence "yes, meant to do that and more" look.

Barzal's contact with the official afterwards may also get factored in.

Reactions: Hoek

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
dont care if ruttu sold it , though ive only seen the cross check to neck / face and not the aftermath , or not you cant bring your stick up into the neck / face area like that . thats 2 games in my book

NHL Review

Oct 27, 2019
If he had gone straight for the head, sure. But his initial attack is not at the head. The shot to the head is part of the ensuing scuffle, which to me mitigates the severity a bit and certainly separates it from what you are describing. It's possible that the shot to the head was altered from its initial path.

It happens very quickly, I wouldn’t even call it an “ensuing scuffle” as it’s not long enough. It’s a cross-check to chest and then immediately followed by an additional cross-check to head. Rutta doesnt even have enough time to retaliate

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

I don't think where the initial shot was should matter at all. He was able to fully recoil and go for a second strike onto Rutta's head, the only part of this argument I can buy is that strike may have been altered, but it's too bad of an angle to tell.

NHL Review

Oct 27, 2019
Oh my god if Rutta is concussed from that he should retire asap.

He was fully alert and able to get off the ice all by himself shortly after, there is no way he has a concussion.

This is woefully ignorant when it comes to head injuries. For one, any significant blow to the head can cause a concussion and a cross-check definitely fits into that. Secondly, being “alert and able to get off the ice by yourself” is not alone indicative of a concussion or not. Vast majority of concussions in the NHL don’t result in a loss of consciousness or player being unable to stand on their own. Myself, I’ve had 8-9 concussions including at least one very severe one and didn’t have any of those symptoms

Seems like you need to do your research

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
This is woefully ignorant when it comes to head injuries. For one, any significant blow to the head can cause a concussion and a cross-check definitely fits into that. Secondly, being “alert and able to get off the ice by yourself” is not alone indicative of a concussion or not. Vast majority of concussions in the NHL don’t result in a loss of consciousness or player being unable to stand on their own.

Seems like you need to do your research

Lets just see if Rutta is back for game 6, or 7.

Then I will admit I was wrong.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Oh my god if Rutta is concussed from that he should retire asap.

He was fully alert and able to get off the ice all by himself shortly after, there is no way he has a concussion.

So because he wasn't carried off of the ice he didn't suffer a concussion? You must be new to sports if you think concussions come with obvious and severe signs

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
He may get a game as it was after the period had ended, not in any in game scrum, or battling for the puck; just an attempt to injure by a frustrated player completely embarrassed during the period, knowing the game was over. Knowing the DOPS it will be a phone call and a $5K fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad