Does Barzal deserve a suspension? (Update: fined $5k)

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
They just showed this play again on Sportsnet. I don't know how anyone can believe there isn't a huge double standard in how the league looks at these incidents. Again, I see this as almost the exact same play as Kadri on Debrusk (suspended for the remainder of that series). Barzal gets nothing. Actually, in Barzal's case his target was taken out of the game, Debrusk never missed a shift.
Compare it to the MacDonough hit to Marchment. I don't find them to be all that different and MacDonough wasn't suspended. also He was only penalized 2 minutes for roughing.

Barzal was hit for 5 and the game. (Yes it was late in a at that point out of reach game. )
I'd love for this hit to be 2 games but to do that you are changing the rules from just a month ago.. Like I stated earlier it should be punished harder but start NEXT season.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
By the rules yes, but there was an earlier cross check to the face to the islanders players and nothing happened, so by the league inaction this playoffs series im going to say the fine is ok i guess.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
By the rules yes, but there was an earlier cross check to the face to the islanders players and nothing happened, so by the league inaction this playoffs series im going to say the fine is ok i guess.
They called Brock and McDonagh each for roughing and that was magically brushed off like it was a clean hockey play.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
If this happened during game 1 of the series I think the NHL may have suspended him a game. But since the Isles are facing elimination they are probably more hesitant to suspend a star player.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Compare it to the MacDonough hit to Marchment. I don't find them to be all that different and MacDonough wasn't suspended. also He was only penalized 2 minutes for roughing.

Barzal was hit for 5 and the game. (Yes it was late in a at that point out of reach game. )
I'd love for this hit to be 2 games but to do that you are changing the rules from just a month ago.. Like I stated earlier it should be punished harder but start NEXT season.

Marchment shouldn’t have had his face get in the way of McDonagh’s stick. Clearly it’s all because the Panthers wear red, the color of blood.

Reactions: Tryamw

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Mat's GQ good looks buys him a lot of leeway regarding the rules. The DOPS probably 1-800-Flower'd him after watching the replay over and over.

Now if someone was to damage Mat's face, there would be banninations. The player, the captain, the coach and gm would all never be allowed near an NHL team, let alone work for one.

He's too dreamy to suspend.

Haters be hatin.

I've lost track of how many sticks to the face Mat's taken the past couple years. Guys here acting like Barzal getting targeted tonight is a new thing... he's used to it, and used to not getting calls. It is what it is.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Every single Islanders fan I know of on this forum has come out and said it was a dumb scumbag move. Or something of the sort. The only question is if he should be suspended. I think a game misconduct and a fine is sufficient. I guess the NHL agreed.

Correct - it was almost unanimous on the Islanders board that it was dumb and uncalled for. Game misconduct and a fine was IMO the correct move, since the DOPS has been all over the board with no consistency all season.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
They almost murdered Brock in the bubble last year, maybe they can finish the job tonight?
They tried to this year as well. I’m guessing they’ll just continue it until he winds up in NUMC. The only difference is that Chris Lee will probably call him for embellishment tonight.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
so in the playoffs you are allowed to decapitate someone ?

Crap .. I didnt know Rutta was decapitated. Like head completely off or hanging by a sliver? Bolts are super coy with their injury reports saying "upper body injury".

I feel so bad. For his family. The TB community. He was so young.

Reactions: Tryamw

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Pulling for Stamkos to get another cup but thank you DOPS for letting this guy play wow just amazing...

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Crap .. I didnt know Rutta was decapitated. Like head completely off or hanging by a sliver? Bolts are super coy with their injury reports saying "upper body injury".

I feel so bad. For his family. The TB community. He was so young.
They must have Dr. Frankenstein on the Bolts medical staff. Reattached, and in the lineup for tonight's loss.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Looks like he got him on the chin.
You can see him lead with the glove which makes contact with his shoulder pad. Shaft of the stick diagonal.
AEEC03AE-F2DF-4B0F-BFAF-99160CE3CA84.jpeg

Pushes the shoulder pad back as you can see in the shot from behind
63671856-8117-42ED-9DF3-6B18EA35B053.jpeg

I guess we see what we see.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes