Does anyone still think Marner is better than Matthews?

Leafs best player

• Total voters

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Currently Matthews is better.
Marner has higher ceiling though. Makes players around him better and plays in all situations.

Marner only has a higher ceiling if you think he's farther away from his peak due to his relative physical immaturity. Like one day he'll add elite speed and core strength, develop a shot and have a strong physical build that allows him to handle all the high traffic areas.

In terms of making others around him better, maybe. But he's also the one player in the Big 4 whom the Leafs have always been careful to play with other strong offensive players.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ah, sorry. Yeah I never got it but Marner has always had some hardcore supporters.
Just doesn’t make any sense does it. I mean he isn’t that good, mostly invisible.
Just noticedMarner managed to tie Matthews in pts per game this year.

Better than Eichel in pts per game career haaaaa ( not going to say i told ya so). :)

Elite scorer and elite playmaker. Thanks for both. Goals carry more weight as they should. Special playmakers creating goals at elite levels carries a weight too.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It doesn't matter what we Leaf fans think. Paul Marner says his son is a god, and, much better than any Leaf player, alive or dead!

Last edited:
Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The answer is Matthews in both cases, so I'm not really sure why you would ask that. But yeah, it depends on whether you prefer the better player or the inferior player
I’ll take calling him inferior every day when its comparing him to Matthews. Damn get it in there any way you can dude. Likely the only chance you’ll ever git

We can read that comment like a book. I wouldn’t take much you say after calling him inferior serious. I wouldn’t put you on ignore. I like getting my humourous stuff daily ;)

Reactions: Garthinater

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I’ll take calling him inferior every day when its comparing him to Matthews. Damn get it in there any way you can dude. Likely the only chance you’ll ever git

We can read that comment like a book. I wouldn’t take much you say after calling him inferior serious. I wouldn’t put you on ignore. I like getting my humourous stuff daily ;)
but he is inferior to Matthews, and that's not an insult. No need to overreact

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I'm different then many hockey fans in that I'm actually objective.

Making inane comments like "he's always been better" "he always was better" "he always will be better" "he's always been better, always was better and will always be better" is just an indicator to me to not give the person any credibility.

Last year Marner was better. At times this season Tavares was better. This season, as of now, I would say Matthews has been our best player BUT this does not mean he always was and always will be.

Some people just don't comprehend this.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner is the man. Didn’t like his season particularly. Forced it to much the whole year consistently. Funny thing too that doesn’t get mentioned is that he was less effective with less stretch passes coming off Gards stick. Another thing is his minutes are to high defending on the penalty kill. Keefe might want to change that unless it’s completely neccessary.

Likely much better sending Tavares and Marner or Matthews/ Marner over the boards very late in a penalty kill instead of not having that option because they have to rest. That falls on Kerfoot because he can’t win draws and gets owned all the time. Trade his butt out of here, he’s not good enough for a third line center.

Marner playing more offensive minutes is being hindered by weak defensive physical players on the bottom 6. Marner and Matthews could be improving their games for 3 or 4 more years, plateau for 3 years and still be under thirty ha.No worries

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner sucks ;) unless you want to evaluate him on points.

I honest to god just read that in a post. Holeee man, the extent of nonsense that goes on here sometimes just blasts me right out the water.” Unless you want to evaluate him on points”. Hummm lol made my day. Who needs YukYuks

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner sucks ;) unless you want to evaluate him on points.

I honest to god just read that in a post. Holeee man, the extent of nonsense that goes on here sometimes just blasts me right out the water.” Unless you want to evaluate him on points”. Hummm lol made my day. Who needs YukYuks

Matthews is good, unless you want to evaluate him on points.
Kane is good, unless i mean unnnlesss..... your going to try evaluating him on points. You start doun that...... then i have a issue with that, got it...... k. ..... so don’t start on that crap..... k lol

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Matthews is still learning but that shot is Ovechkin class. He’s going to get better in his complete game. Stayed healthy this year and was right there in the Rocket trophy show. That will be common if he stays healthy moving forward.

He has shown improvement defensively this year. The full package in a couple years will be fun to watch. A little meaner showed up this year too. Thats where a Clifford helps in the lineup. He can wind up the physical stuff and Clifford can take care of any rats running him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm different then many hockey fans in that I'm actually objective.

Making inane comments like "he's always been better" "he always was better" "he always will be better" "he's always been better, always was better and will always be better" is just an indicator to me to not give the person any credibility.

Last year Marner was better. At times this season Tavares was better. This season, as of now, I would say Matthews has been our best player BUT this does not mean he always was and always will be.

Some people just don't comprehend this.

Marner has always been the most insulated Leaf in terms of who they play him with 5 on 5. When he came in as a rookie they put him in Kessel's old spot with JVR and Bozak, then threw an $11 million center at him last year, and then promoted him to play with Matthews this year. Notice how the Leafs have never put Marner with a bottom six centerman in order to try and spark up a functional third line, or put him with guys like Kapanen and Johnsson for significant amounts of time like Matthews, or demoted him to play with Kadri and Spezza like they have with Nylander.

Fact is, Marner is not better or more dominant than Matthews and never has been but has been carefully deployed to the point where he's always in a position to succeed offensively.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner has always been the most insulated Leaf in terms of who they play him with 5 on 5. When he came in as a rookie they put him in Kessel's old spot with JVR and Bozak, then threw an $11 million center at him last year, and then promoted him to play with Matthews this year. Notice how the Leafs have never put Marner with a bottom six centerman in order to try and spark up a functional third line, or put him with guys like Kapanen and Johnsson for significant amounts of time like Matthews, or demoted him to play with Kadri and Spezza like they have with Nylander.

Fact is, Marner is not better or more dominant than Matthews and never has been but has been carefully deployed to the point where he's always in a position to succeed offensively.

Man, I don’t even want to start into that post. You sure you aren’t feeling under the weather ha. He didn’t look very sheltered playing all the defense with Jvr and Bozak. Kessel/Bozak and Jvr were more than a hundred minus in goals against together. That improved with Marner on the line. Just putting that out there. I know everyone ignores plus minus too. I don’t give it much weight either but in this case i do

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Man, I don’t even want to start into that post. You sure you aren’t feeling under the weather ha. He didn’t look very sheltered playing all the defense with Jvr and Bozak. Kessel/Bozak and Jvr were more than a hundred minus in goals against together. That improved with Marner on the line. Just putting that out there. I know everyone ignores plus minus too. I don’t give it much weight either but in this case i do

JVR and Bozak was the Leafs former first line with Kessel. Don't pretend like they put Marner with the equivalent of rookies (Hyman, Nylander, Johnsson and sophomore Kapanen) that Matthews was out with in his rookie year and 2018-19.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
JVR and Bozak was the Leafs former first line with Kessel. Don't pretend like they put Marner with the equivalent of rookies (Hyman, Nylander, Johnsson and sophomore Kapanen) that Matthews was out with in his rookie year and 2018-19.
Oh there is no correlation at all to the fact that he is a elite playmaker i know, it was all about insulation. Good thing them veterans had career years the year he was with them too i know. Jeez I’m glad they carried him

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

Marner was on the 4th line for a time or have you conveniently forgotten that?

I have always preferred Marner over Matthews but a part of that is I am biased towards Canadian players and I'm not scared to say it.

A difference between how some people view things is that I am willing to say what I think and have no problem with adapting to reality. When Marner was our best player that is what I said. This year Matthews played better all in all as far as I'm concerned and I'm not going to say otherwise.

What I find insulting is people who make a declaration and then stick to it no matter what. I know this may sound odd because it is so stupid but there are people who will say Player A is better then Player B and then they will stick to that no matter what the actual truth is.

They are so self absorbed that they don't even know the truth, all they know is what they said before and they aren't big enough people to even consider that they may have been wrong or that these things are fluid and change constantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad