Do you want Pete Deboer Fired ?? Merged: Pick the date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Nobody knows what type of coach Stevens is so saying it will be a disaster is just as silly as saying he will be great.

Would you be willing to take that chance? I'm no fortune teller, but asking someone with zero head coaching experience to turn this p.o.s. around is clearly asking for trouble. And it wouldn't be fair to him either if he does in fact aspire to be a head coach one day.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
What coach does this board not want fired? I remember when Lemaire was first brought back everyone was calling him a dinosaur. Even when Hitchcock was brought up as an option after Lemaire retired, he was essentially unanimously criticized. "Too old! Pre-lockout! The game has changed!"

Yep, Devils fans are more guilty of it than any other fan base. If we're losing, "fire the coach!" It's one thing that I blame Lou for - The thinking that firing the coach should always be one of the first options in the event of struggle and losing.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Would you be willing to take that chance? I'm no fortune teller, but asking someone with zero head coaching experience to turn this p.o.s. around is clearly asking for trouble. And it wouldn't be fair to him either if he does in fact aspire to be a head coach one day.

Team has looked sloppy so far this year. I think eventually if nothing improves then Pete needs to be let go for another guy. I don't really care who coaches this team.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Team has looked sloppy so far this year. I think eventually if nothing improves then Pete needs to be let go for another guy. I don't really care who coaches this team.

I'm of the mind that a different voice is not the complete answer here. Where Pete has failed miserably is that he has yet to adjust his system accordingly. It's not working. It wasn't working to perfection his first half season here either, but you could clearly see that they were moving in the right direction.

This may not be a great team, but there is no way that they should be this bad. A different voice is not going to change that unless they get someone with experience and with a gameplan that's going to suit this roster. I know that they've been "in" a lot of these games, technically, but they're just not capable of piecing a solid 60 minute effort toegther.

I honestly don't see where our next win comes. I really don't.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

DeBoer should be fired and Lou should go as well. He's been handing our coaches a embarrassment of a blueline and when we can't forecheck since our forwards are too slow, you get what we're seeing.

I'm so ****ing tired of watching veterans who can't keep up, rookies who are on a tight leash, AHL caliber players playing on a regular basis, etc, etc, etc...

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
"It’s getting a little late for almosts and moral victories." - Cory Schneider”

Maybe Cory Schneider should be coach. I much prefer the above to DeBoer's usual, "We did some good things tonight".

apice3*

Nobody knows what type of coach Stevens is so saying it will be a disaster is just as silly as saying he will be great.

Stevens is and has always been a hard ass. Coaches tend to keep their personalities. Not very often you see a fired up coach become a quiet leader when he becomes a coach. Look at Roy.

Stevens would not be a good head coach. His my way or the highway type of attitude would be tuned out by veterans that have gone through the ropes before and rookies would be crapping their pants and playing in fear. Kind of like what Larsson has gone through since Robinson, a father figure type of personality, has left.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Stevens is and has always been a hard ass. Coaches tend to keep their personalities. Not very often you see a fired up coach become a quiet leader when he becomes a coach. Look at Roy.

Stevens would not be a good head coach. His my way or the highway type of attitude would be tuned out by veterans that have gone through the ropes before and rookies would be crapping their pants and playing in fear. Kind of like what Larsson has gone through since Robinson, a father figure type of personality, has left.

Yea because Pat Burns was a bad coach. Roy is having a great start with a super young team. I can't care less about the personality of the coach. If the Devils continue to play sloppy a change is needed. And my guess is Stevens will get the job. Maybe Jacque comes back as an assistant to help him out.

Larsson is playing like crap because he is a kid and the overall team lately has sucked. Also Larry was the coach when Larsson was scratch at the end of the year/playoffs. But I am not worried about Larsson. I am worried this team isn't any good with no good forwards to build around.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
I've had my fill of DeB, but at this point in the season, I'm not sure if there's a better alternitive out there. And I'm also not confident in circa-2013-Lou making the correct choice anyway.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

If Stevens is our head coach at any point this year, we are a straight top 5 pick lotto team.

It's a good thing we have Matteau, right?

Based on what logic?

Based on the logic that Stevens is a rookie HC and the last thing you need when the ship is sinking is a guy who has no clue how to salvage things.

It might a good idea when working with a young team but throwing hissy fits with so many veterans won't work.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
agreed.

I seriously doubt Stevens would even want the position right now anyways. I think Lou stepping behind the bench is more likely at this point.

This team roster is good enough to make the playoffs - not like Mac had when we signed Kovy (and Parise went down). I would think Stevens would love the chance mid season when people won't expect much from him. I am starting to think Lou isn't going to make the same mistake by letting us dig a huge hole like he did with Mac. Pete system needs to change as our team doesn't appear fast enough to dump and chase and defensively the forwards are horrible out of position allowing the opposing team to bring up the puck with speed.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Based on what logic?

Was going to give some snarky response like Alchemy but see the 4 above me that already did.

Feel free to tell us how a rookie coach with minimal experience who can't develop Larsson is going to save us though. I'm all ears, well eyes.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Was going to give some snarky response like Alchemy but see the 4 above me that already did.

Feel free to tell us how a rookie coach with minimal experience who can't develop Larsson is going to save us though. I'm all ears, well eyes.

Larsson is 20. He isn't going to look good on a bad team. This board is expecting WAY TOO MUCH out of him.

I don't know if Stevens is going to be good or not but I think it is silly to think that no rookie coach can succeed with this group. Stevens could be great with the players for all we know, but the only way to find out is to actually give him a chance which I think is going to happen if we don't go on a winning streak.

Pete first year with Florida he got 93 PTS, then 77 PTS and then 72 PTS. The first year with the Devils he got 102 PTS and last year on pace for ~82 PTS. This year we are looking really sloppy and could easily finish < 80 PTS.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I am loving how the defensive pairings and lineup decisions seem to skip over Stevens and land solely on Pete when last time I checked the D coach has a pretty big say in how things run - especially the pairings and ice time since he's telling who to go.

Yet we want to fire Pete and replace him with the very guy who may be a key to why the defense has been the major issue thus far. That seems very shortsighted and a gamble at best.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I am loving how the defensive pairings and lineup decisions seem to skip over Stevens and land solely on Pete when last time I checked the D coach has a pretty big say in how things run - especially the pairings and ice time since he's telling who to go.

Yet we want to fire Pete and replace him with the very guy who may be a key to why the defense has been the major issue thus far. That seems very shortsighted and a gamble at best.

I personally don't think the defensive pairings and lineup decision are the reason why we are looking sloppy. I think our sloppy play has more to do with our dump/chase system where the forecheck isn't getting the pressure on opposing team D-man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad