Do You Want Dave Tippett to Coach the Coyotes Next Season?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
His reaffirmations that he'll skip town if he isn't appeased erases any sort of goodwill or curiosity I had about him possibly changing for once. Hit the ****ing bricks, guy. There are only 30 of these jobs and I'll hire the guy that actually wants to work with the plan, not dictate it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
His reaffirmations that he'll skip town if he isn't appeased erases any sort of goodwill or curiosity I had about him possibly changing for once. Hit the ****ing bricks, guy. There are only 30 of these jobs and I'll hire the guy that actually wants to work with the plan, not dictate it.

He'll be out of work for a total of 5 minutes.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He'll be out of work for a total of 5 minutes.

And? You consider that proof of his fit here? There are allstar managers in every industry that fall flat on their face because they're not a good fit. Tippett could probably coax Boston deep into the playoffs, or any other veteran laden team with money to spend. That's not what the Coyotes need.

The Coyotes need a coach that understands young players will not give him the best chance to win that night, but by playing them, he is buying wins later down the road.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Voted yes on this poll, but have to say, reading Maloney's comments today about Tippett made my sphincter clench even tighter.

Losing the McEichel lottery was bad enough, if we go through another bait-and-switch at the end of training camp this summer with veterans vs. youth, I will be on the "burn it all down" camp w.r.t. coaching and management.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
reading Maloney's comments today about Tippett made my sphincter clench even tighter.

635649900080335565-gmdm.jpg

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
We are beyond the point of hope for this team, as good as gone.

If we want any hope of hope then fire both DT and GMDM.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Voted yes on this poll, but have to say, reading Maloney's comments today about Tippett made my sphincter clench even tighter.

Losing the McEichel lottery was bad enough, if we go through another bait-and-switch at the end of training camp this summer with veterans vs. youth, I will be on the "burn it all down" camp w.r.t. coaching and management.

What comments?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Did you guys read DM's interview today? Tip is not going any where and neither is DM. We have not heard one peep out of ownership about being disappointed with DM.

It just sounds like ownership/DM/Tip are on the same page. DM has not had any money to work with and Tip ran out of players. Ownership making a move because they are frustrated is not the best decision. I don't think the owners are frustrated and here is why:

IE just doubled their money on this investment. How can they be pissed about that even if the team has been bad? Barroway as a new owner just joined the club. Does he come in and shoot DM/Tip? They are both proven and have plenty of legitimate reasons for the poor performance of the club. I just don't see Barroway, as a new owner, shooting them. If he did, who would he replace them with that is a for sure big upgrade?

As for the "lets play the young guys", DM and Tip seem to be on the same page in regards to being careful developing players. In the TGO days, young guys were rushed, in Oilerville, young guys were rushed, does not work. Tip/DM have been around long enough to know when and who to play. DM could force Tip's hand as he determines the roster. DM just said the number 3 pick won't help the club this year. I don't buy that the not playing young guys is all Tip. I think DM and Tip are jointly in on it.

Tip doesn't not know how to coach young guys, that is BS. What he does know, is how to make guys accountable. FYI, he played Schlemko a lot when everyone thought he sucked. I noticed tonight Schlemko getting plenty of minutes in the third period and some of them on the PP. Maybe Tip saw something there....

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Maloney was hired in 2007. This will be his first off-season where he is on level-playing ground to his fellow GMs. No Gretzky, no bankruptcy/ownership mess, real money, real assets. He has a lot of work to do but I'm confident that he can do it.

The fact that the trade route seems to be a big part of his plan, and his past success with trades, will only further what he can accomplish this summer. The number of teams getting crunched by the cap continues to grow if the cap escalator isn't applied. Some teams are about to get Maloneyed.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
As for the "lets play the young guys", DM and Tip seem to be on the same page in regards to being careful developing players. In the TGO days, young guys were rushed, in Oilerville, young guys were rushed, does not work. Tip/DM have been around long enough to know when and who to play. DM could force Tip's hand as he determines the roster. DM just said the number 3 pick won't help the club this year. I don't buy that the not playing young guys is all Tip. I think DM and Tip are jointly in on it.

Funny you mention the mother****ing Oilers, considering they finished with a better record than us, and just landed Connor McDavid. Two literal Pejorative Slurs are accidentally stumbling their way to a better future than our management.

rt

May 13, 2004
Did you guys read DM's interview today? Tip is not going any where and neither is DM. We have not heard one peep out of ownership about being disappointed with DM.

It just sounds like ownership/DM/Tip are on the same page. DM has not had any money to work with and Tip ran out of players. Ownership making a move because they are frustrated is not the best decision. I don't think the owners are frustrated and here is why:

IE just doubled their money on this investment. How can they be pissed about that even if the team has been bad? Barroway as a new owner just joined the club. Does he come in and shoot DM/Tip? They are both proven and have plenty of legitimate reasons for the poor performance of the club. I just don't see Barroway, as a new owner, shooting them. If he did, who would he replace them with that is a for sure big upgrade?

Tip doesn't not know how to coach young guys, that is BS. What he does know, is how to make guys accountable. FYI, he played Schlemko a lot when everyone thought he sucked. I noticed tonight Schlemko getting plenty of minutes in the third period and some of them on the PP. Maybe Tip saw something there....

Everyone knows that Tippett isn't getting fired this summer. This poll is about what poster WANT not what posters EXPECT. Two different things.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Funny you mention the mother****ing Oilers, considering they finished with a better record than us, and just landed Connor McDavid. Two literal Pejorative Slurs are accidentally stumbling their way to a better future than our management.

You'd think the whole "We're gonna be the Oilers" crap would stop by now. Gotta toe the company line I guess.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Thought about this for awhile and I really have to join the gtfo brigade.

This:
Craig Morgan's Article said:
Maloney met with coach Dave Tippett before he left for the World Championships to discuss the short- and long-term plans. Tippett has made it clear he feels the team should compete for a playoff spot every year. He also confirmed that he has clauses in his contract to protect him if the team isn't going in the direction he wants.

Is a huge ****ing problem.

This:
"Tip and I are 100 percent on the same wavelength with what we need to do," Maloney said."
"All that being said, we have to put a team on the ice next year and we want to be competitive and make people want to come see us play. That's going to be the challenge: to fill the holes with enough quality and compete."

Makes no damn sense.

So I'm going to practice what I've been saying and safely ignore what DM is saying here. Because it was just a few weeks ago that Doan was hemming and hawing about the 4-5 year plan. Well is there a 4-5 year plan or is there a plan to compete every year? These are complete opposites here. Even if you think year 3-5 competing is possible, certainly that doesn't make sense in year 1.

Maloney is managing to his Coach when he should be making decisions based on what he thinks is best. The difference between Tippett and not having Tippett isn't Wayne Gretzky. There is no need to placate even the leagues top coaches.

I'll just leave this one here:
ESPN on the Cardinals FO/Staff said:
"I think it's having clearly defined roles," Keim said. "When I say, 'clearly defined roles,' we stay in our lane. He does his job. I do mine."

Those defined roles have been boiled down to the basic principles of their respective jobs:

Arians coaches. Keim manages.

Two men, two roles, two lanes.

"When you don't cross those lines, they don't get blurred," Keim said. "Around the league, when you see those lines get blurred, internal dysfunction follows."

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There is no need to placate even the leagues top coaches.

To riff on the Red Wings model crap; Holland makes it 100% clear he dictates the roster, and that Babcock is there to coach it. He'll listen to Babcock, but reserves the right to completely ignore him. That's a functional relationship. Begging and pleading with Tippett to stay is not.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Because it was just a few weeks ago that Doan was hemming and hawing about the 4-5 year plan. Well is there a 4-5 year plan or is there a plan to compete every year? These are complete opposites here. Even if you think year 3-5 competing is possible, certainly that doesn't make sense in year 1.

Why can't it be both? Look at Calgary. They're building toward a championship but they are competitive and snuck into one of the final playoff seeds. No one has Calgary winning the Cup this year but this is their first step to success along the way. Maloney projected 3-5 to be a Cup contender. No reason why, with the right moves, that we can't be a playoff contender in a more immediate timeframe.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't think that's a realistic goal. Calgary got lucky in quite a few areas. Could easily be the Avalanche of this season.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Why can't it be both? Look at Calgary. They're building toward a championship but they are competitive and snuck into one of the final playoff seeds. No one has Calgary winning the Cup this year but this is their first step to success along the way. Maloney projected 3-5 to be a Cup contender. No reason why, with the right moves, that we can't be a playoff contender in a more immediate timeframe.

Calgary greatly benefitted from breakout seasons from Gadreau and Monahan, as well as a near PPG career year by Hudler and Norris worth play from Giordano before he got injured. They had a lot go right for them, even after Gio's injury. Unrealistic to expect that to repeat or to translate over to us next year, especially given the coaching differences between Hartley and Tippett.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't get how anyone can read that article, with Tippett thinly veiling threats to leave if he doesn't like the direction his roster is going, while citing his out-clauses, and still want him to coach this team. How much more clear can things be?

I am also appalled by Don Maloney's gutlessness in this. That is a coach begging to be fired. Publicly. Does Maloney believe that Tippett is his boss, an not the other way around? Is that one of the "things" Tippett has in his contract? That he's higher on the org. chart than DM? I mean, that's the only thing that makes sense. Don's employee is talking waaaaay out of turn, otherwise. He needs to ***** slap Tippett publicly, or fire his ass. He's lost all leverage. How in the hell was this guy EVER a decent negotiator? How do you go from that to this? Why such a softy when it comes to Tippett?

Ugh. Disgusting. I'm disgusted.

rt

May 13, 2004
Calgary greatly benefitted from breakout seasons from Gadreau and Monahan, as well as a near PPG career year by Hudler and Norris worth play from Giordano before he got injured. They had a lot go right for them, even after Gio's injury. Unrealistic to expect that to repeat or to translate over to us next year, especially given the coaching differences between Hartley and Tippett.

Tippett would have had Johnny Hockey renamed "Johhny Minor League Hockey" because he would've cut his as the first week of camp. Monahan? He'd play 4th line minutes in the 30 games he wasn't a healthy scratch for because his "attention to detail" wasn't on the Moss/Chipchura level yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00