Do You Want Dave Tippett to Coach the Coyotes Next Season?

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
Tippett was with the Houston Aeros before. He won't go back to the AHL and even if he did, I doubt the experience would change him as he appears to be a man set in his own ways.

I agree Tippet is not going back to the AHL. For a older veteran team He would be a perfect fit.

But some want to see if He can develop young players that the Coyotes will have. We will be a Young Team. This is not Tippet's strong point. He's had his chance here. Did well at times. But I see a far different team next year than We have had in recent memory. Time for a change.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
I only want Tippett back if he'll agree that focusing on developing our younger players is the way to go, and that he won't restrict our young talent offensively as much as he typically likes to.

If he wants to stick to his philosophy of going with veterans and not taking any risks, then he's clearly no longer fit to coach us, and it'd be best for both sides to part ways.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
NO! He saved this team, but he kills it now.

And for me it's not about youngsters... I hate his slow, oversimplified trap system and unlimited love to all that Conners, Kennedys, Chipchuras, Mosses etc.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
NO! He saved this team, but he kills it now.

And for me it's not about youngsters... I hate his slow, oversimplified trap system and unlimited love to all that Conners, Kennedys, Chipchuras, Mosses etc.

Yes He did save the Team. But times change. Situations change.

Never could figure out His crush on Chipchura.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
About the same 50/50 split now as we have seen in the past and that's the same number I would expect to see should Tippett still be here while not making the playoffs for 6 straight seasons.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
About the same 50/50 split now as we have seen in the past and that's the same number I would expect to see should Tippett still be here while not making the playoffs for 6 straight seasons.

Never been in a Market like this. I can't understand the reluctance to change what is not working. Most cities where I have lived (Bos. NY. Phil.) Would have been calling for the head of the GM and Coach. Hell, Bruins missed the Playoffs first time in over 10 years. GM fired. Coach is on life support. I can't understand how GMDM and Tip still have jobs. I'm sure they are both great human being. But the Team hasn't made the Playoffs since 2011. How are They still here? Yes I know the Coyotes are digging out of money troubles. But the last two years the players seem to be playing uninspired in more than a few games.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
turris strong two way play today is a testament to how he was developed by Tippett.

He was not 'developed' by Tippett and we've had this conversation before.

No to the poll.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It really baffles me how ownership can look at the young talent we have and the budget we have to work with and think Tippett is the right coach here. The guy simply doesn't develop offensive talent and proudly states his desire not to develop young players. What else do they need to see to make a change?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He was not 'developed' by Tippett and we've had this conversation before.

No to the poll.

Damn right he wasn't. Third overall pick and he was completely buried and held back. Tippett should be embarrassed but something tells me he probably brags about the way he handled that situation.

Definitely the guy you want handling the next third overall we have right?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
As long as we are talking about sacking Tippet, what about how Maloney put this team together? I'd fire him first and let the new GM pick the coach he wanted. DM does not deserve to be the GM any longer. I blame him for this mess far more than I blame Tippet.

As for Turris, TGO and Maloney rushed him and threw him in well over his head. When Tippet came in and Maloney was able to get some centers, Turris was put back in the AHL where he belonged. He pouted like a baby. Good riddance.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
GMDM is on record saying the Coyotes wanted Turris to spend another year in college.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
GMDM is on record saying the Coyotes wanted Turris to spend another year in college.

I'm talking about playing him in the NHL at 18 yrs old. I heard Maloney on the radio after that season saying that the team simply didn't have any other centers to fill the roster.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm talking about playing him in the NHL at 18 yrs old. I heard Maloney on the radio after that season saying that the team simply didn't have any other centers to fill the roster.

Turris forced his way out of college via his agent.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Damn right he wasn't. Third overall pick and he was completely buried and held back. Tippett should be embarrassed but something tells me he probably brags about the way he handled that situation.

Definitely the guy you want handling the next third overall we have right?

I saw Turris play in the BCHL and the NCAA. He did not learn the defensive game on either Burnaby or Wisconsin.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As long as we are talking about sacking Tippet, what about how Maloney put this team together? I'd fire him first and let the new GM pick the coach he wanted. DM does not deserve to be the GM any longer. I blame him for this mess far more than I blame Tippet.

As for Turris, TGO and Maloney rushed him and threw him in well over his head. When Tippet came in and Maloney was able to get some centers, Turris was put back in the AHL where he belonged. He pouted like a baby. Good riddance.

Treliving cleared this up years ago in Xm radio. Turris forced coyotes hand on turning pro.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Tip is not the only coach who would be incapeable of getting this team to the playoffs. Maloney didn't give him much to work with but then again, the ownership didn't give Maloney much.

But Tippett does let the young guys do more sitting then playing and I think that ruins many of them as bad as the Oilers system does. To me Gormley looks like he has lost his confidence in the same way Rundblad did and that is disturbing.

I would have to have a guarantee that he would be more open to playing these guys then making them sit for 10-20 games at a time or he can go.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
All I need to know is that late in this meaningless season, Dave Tippett preferred to scratch Gormley and play Campbell instead of seeing what he had in Gormley and if he could rise to the occasion. I could add a couple of names here (Chip over Hodgman as the #1C, Moss , etc, etc), but really it's just the fact that given the choice between a mediocre veteran and a young player, Tippett will give the ice time to "his" guy. The "proven" veteran that he can trust. We don't have the quality depth that would make this approach viable. Maloney has shown over and again that he will not (can not?) manage DT. Tippett is a top 5 coach. But he's not a good fit for us moving forward.

Despite our "Detroit model" talk, Detroit had several, several players under 25 take on important roles for their club. Same for Tampa and Stevie Y. Coyotes, not so much. This team needs more youth/skill. Young players are going to need enough rope to hang themselves or sort out their game at the next level. DT will not do that while Babcock will. Just means we need to go a different direction for the coach. Bad fit.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

I'm okay with this too. I really like DM, but if I was an owner I might have had my fill already. Hard to say from the outside looking in. But the owners definitely know what kind of handicaps he was working with.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
but really it's just the fact that given the choice between a mediocre veteran and a young player, Tippett will give the ice time to "his" guy. The "proven" veteran that he can trust.

I'm with you...what is he "trusting" them to do? It's certainly not scoring or playing excellent defense or checking like a mother ****er. I'd certainly like to know that since we've all seen it. He always talks about his "stats" that he keeps.

Well, they must not be any f'ing good, given the fact we will sign Moss again and he can't hit the net but only on the occasion it ruins the tank. :shakehead

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Despite our "Detroit model" talk, Detroit had several, several players under 25 take on important roles for their club.

I think we've accumulated enough prospects where we're close. Boedker, Rieder, OEL, Stone, Murphy, Dahlbeck are all 25 and under and had meaningful roles. Domi, Duclair, Samuelsson, etc. have the opportunity to play meaningful minutes next season.

letbob

Mar 15, 2008
Chandler, AZ
No, No and No. The NHL is not a developmental league for coaches who have proven that they cannot adapt or modify their system to the ever evolving demands and challenges of today's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad