Do you think the draft lottery is rigged?

Lottery Rigged?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Absolutely, think about it. Last season Buffalo and Carolina (2 teams dealing with some attendance issues and long playoff droughts) got the first 2 picks. With Ottawa (Another team dealing with attendance issues at the time and still) getting the third pick. Now 2 NY teams and CHICAGO??? Get the top 3 picks. The biggest market and the 3rd or 4th biggest market in the NHL get the top 3 picks. 2 seasons ago New Jersey and Philly (2 big market teams struggling in mediocrity) got the top 2 picks. With both of them coming in from outside the top 6

Why Arizona never gets 1st overall, then??? Struggling franchise (both hockey-wise and business-wise) that NHL is desperated to keep on the desert...

Truth is, If you want to prove your theory, you'll always find a proper narrative and "evidence" supporting you... If small market "wins", its because NHL wants to boost their attendance and profile... If big market wins, its because they're too big to stay irrelevant too long... Everything can serve as an evidence for conspiracy.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think the draft lottery is grossly flawed but it's not rigged.
If it was rigged, then Toronto probably would have got McDavid (instead of Matthews) because it would have been a massive PR boost to the league and the Yotes would have a couple as well.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Nope. Very cool and very legal.

Seriously though, you really think the league wants the next American superstar to go to New freakin' Jersey instead of NYR or Chicago? If it were rigged, McDavid or Matthews would have gone to Arizona.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Both yes and no. Not by default but they want to have the option to do so if they feel the need to considering the lottery is set up right now.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
It's as rigged as the earth is flat.

So....not at all.

McDavid would be a Leaf and Matthews would be in Arizona if the league was in the business of rigging draft.

Just because somebody messed up with the graphics doesn't mean it's rigged. It means somebody messed up with the graphics.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
It’s a good system imo. Bad teams shouldn’t just be handed top picks, the randomness makes it to prevent tanking

I agree with that, but three years in a row a team that just missed the playoffs gets a top 3 pick.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
The problem with Edmonton is not that they haven't benefited enough from the draft lottery, so I don't see any reason to feel too bad that they dropped

2010 and 2011 we retained 1st overall, 2012 we moved up from 2nd to 1st, 2014 retained 3rd, 2015 moved up from 3rd to 1st, in 2016 dropped from 2nd to 4th, 2018 9th to 10th and this year 7th to 8th.

I’m not saying Edmonton hasn’t benefited from the lottery, just every time it’s brought up people say blah blah blah Edmonton wins lotteries when in reality New Jersey has won more than us.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I love how most of the time the NHL is run by idiots with no clue what they are doing. That is of course until things go against my team at which point there is a grand conspiracy.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
2010 and 2011 we retained 1st overall, 2012 we moved up from 2nd to 1st, 2014 retained 3rd, 2015 moved up from 3rd to 1st, in 2016 dropped from 2nd to 4th, 2018 9th to 10th and this year 7th to 8th.

I’m not saying Edmonton hasn’t benefited from the lottery, just every time it’s brought up people say blah blah blah Edmonton wins lotteries when in reality New Jersey has won more than us.

The issue is more the 4 first overall picks and multiple top 5 since 2010.. Didn't they retool the draft lottery cause of Edmonton?

The whole lottery is done by EY (a far bigger company than the NHL) and they aren't going to collude with the NHL, as reputation and ethics is everything to those firms and any sniff of corruption could lead to them becoming the next Arthur Andersen.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I mean since the 2005 lottery (Crosby), when the Team won which was under pretty hard pressure, low attendance etc. won, i don't believe one second that the lottery is random.

If it smells like bull****, it may very well be bull****
Pittsburgh literally had the best odds, along with Anaheim, to win that lottery.

So the team with the greatest odds won yet it's still a consipracy :laugh:

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
*Fan doesn't like lottery results*

*Fan creates same thread that happens every year*

*repeat*

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I still can't believe people think it is rigged.

The hilarious part is that no matter who wins, you'll get people saying it is rigged.

Small American team wins. It is rigged! They have to increase their attendance with a 1st overall pick!
Big American team wins. It is rigged! They want to market the 1st overall pick with a big American team!
Canadian teams wins. It is rigged! Of course the 1st overall pick would go to a Canadian team! NHL is so pro Canada.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It's not rigged, it's just not a good system. The Wings will now remain where they are for another year. It is kind of annoying that until you get lucky, you're not picking in the top 3. Wings have been horrible for 3 years now and have a 9th pick, and 2 6th overall picks to show for it. Not exactly the pieces needed to speed up a rebuild. We are stuck in mediocrity until we get lucky.

It's a slap in the face that the Hawks, fresh off 3 Cups in recent memory, have one bad year, and poof "here is your top 3 pick!" We've sucked for 3 full years and our best pick is a 6th overall pick.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It's not rigged, it's just not a good system. The Wings will now remain where they are for another year. It is kind of annoying that until you get lucky, you're not picking in the top 3. Wings have been horrible for 3 years now and have a 9th pick, and 2 6th overall picks to show for it. Not exactly the pieces needed to speed up a rebuild. We are stuck in mediocrity until we get lucky.

It's a slap in the face that the Hawks, fresh off 3 Cups in recent memory, have one bad year, and poof "here is your top 3 pick!" We've sucked for 3 full years and our best pick is a 6th overall pick.

Hawks were worse last year than this year.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Hawks were worse last year than this year.

Yep, and you still finished ahead of us both years, and now you have a nice top 3 pick! Meanwhile we pick 6th again. You're roster is already way better than Detroit's, and has been way better for the last decade. How are the Wings supposed to become relevant again if they can't get lucky in a lottery?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

is this some alternative reality you are living in.....

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
is this some alternative reality you are living in.....

Last year was their bad year. Sorry but I don't call an 84 point season that bad. The Hawks were in the playoff hunt all year this year. Regardless, my point remains valid. It's irritating that the Hawks have 3 Cups, and were the model franchise over the last 10 years, and get rewarded with a top 3 pick because.....the lottery balls fell the right way. I dunno, obviously if the Wings would have won any of the top 3 piks over the last 3 lotteries, I probably wouldn't be complaining. It's just seems counter-productive to me. Detroit will continue to suck until they get lucky enough to pick in the top 3.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yep, and you still finished ahead of us both years, and now you have a nice top 3 pick! Meanwhile we pick 6th again. You're roster is already way better than Detroit's, and has been way better for the last decade. How are the Wings supposed to become relevant again if they can't get lucky in a lottery?

Det picked 6th last year. Hawks picked 8th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad