Do you think the draft lottery is rigged?

Lottery Rigged?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
There is absolutely no way it is rigged. It amazes me some people think theres anything the NHL could do to make EY, a company that could probably freaking buy the entire league if they wanted, go against their professional standards and everything they stand for as a company. If corruption got out, EY would be done and would fold overnight. There is absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose for that firm for allowing corruption.

Edit: for context, EY made 34.8 billion USD last year in revenue. The entire league pulled in just shy of 5 billion.

Reactions: I am not exposed

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Absolutely, think about it. Last season Buffalo and Carolina (2 teams dealing with some attendance issues and long playoff droughts) got the first 2 picks. With Ottawa (Another team dealing with attendance issues at the time and still) getting the third pick. Now 2 NY teams and CHICAGO??? Get the top 3 picks. The biggest market and the 3rd or 4th biggest market in the NHL get the top 3 picks. 2 seasons ago New Jersey and Philly (2 big market teams struggling in mediocrity) got the top 2 picks. With both of them coming in from outside the top 6

how many bad teams are there that don't have attendance issues and aren't in big markets?

you could literally make a post like this about any team combination to possibly win the lottery

edit: you know what? the draft lottery is rigged and it's all part of an elaborate revenge plot by someone that Taylor Hall's dad f***ed over at some point in the past

the plan is to make whatever team Hall is on win the draft lottery over and over again until he starts to think he's causing it(who wouldn't after a certain point?) and keeps thinking about it and how it's happening and why it's happening and eventually experiences a severe mental breakdown and becomes convinced that he is a literal god and tries to fly by jumping off of a building

Last edited:

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
There is absolutely no way it is rigged. It amazes me some people think theres anything the NHL could do to make EY, a company that could probably freaking buy the entire league if they wanted, go against their professional standards and everything they stand for as a company. If corruption got out, EY would be done and would fold overnight. There is absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose for that firm for allowing corruption.

Edit: for context, EY made 34.8 billion USD last year in revenue. The entire league pulled in just shy of 5 billion.
This. It's amazing people disregard this, but at the same time it's quite obvious people aren't aware of what EY's purpose is in this process and their obligations as an accounting/audit firm

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Yeah, that’s pretty much it. Nobody is going to Arthur Andersen themselves over a friggin NHL draft lottery.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
No, but for the sake of transparency I don't know why they don't just do it live.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Is this sarcasm? Ernst and Whinney rigged the NBA draft in 1985. Not out of the realm of possibility that other drafts have been rigged in the past or may be in the future.

Outside of the frozen envelope or bent corner envelope theories was it ever actually proven with absolute certainty?

Not saying it didn’t happen but in 2019 I have a hard time thinking Ernst & Young would risk their entire reputation so the New Jersey Devils could win the lotto.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Edmonton, New Jersey, Buffalo... why would the NHL, if they would rig it, rig it this way? It would make more sense to rig in favor of the big money teams or someone like Arizona. I do love how people are all of a sudden calling New Jersey a "big American market", just because they are close to NYC, New Jersey is a small market team that brings the league no money, hype, exposure, etc. The league has nothing to gain by the Devils being good. In fact, every time the Devils are good the league is usually in its worse shape (lockouts)

Reactions: I am not exposed

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I'm not surprised that so many are naive enough to believe it isn't rigged!
Why wouldn't it be controlled. The League wants parity...that isn't achieved by happenstance. It doesn't bother me that it is rigged, sort of like assuring owners that they will be helped out in tough times.
I suppose,there are those who believe politicians and that the stock market isn't manipulated ! So be it.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Absolutely, think about it. Last season Buffalo and Carolina (2 teams dealing with some attendance issues and long playoff droughts) got the first 2 picks. With Ottawa (Another team dealing with attendance issues at the time and still) getting the third pick. Now 2 NY teams and CHICAGO??? Get the top 3 picks. The biggest market and the 3rd or 4th biggest market in the NHL get the top 3 picks. 2 seasons ago New Jersey and Philly (2 big market teams struggling in mediocrity) got the top 2 picks. With both of them coming in from outside the top 6

So what you’re saying is that...

Random teams moved up via the draft lottery?

Which is exactly the purpose of the lottery.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Why wouldn't it be controlled. The League wants parity...that isn't achieved by happenstance. It doesn't bother me that it is rigged, sort of like assuring owners that they will be helped out in tough times.
I suppose,there are those who believe politicians and that the stock market isn't manipulated ! So be it.

...and that lizard people actually exist.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Yes, parity is surely the reason the worst team in the salary cap era got bumped down to the 4th pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->