Do you think the draft lottery is rigged?

Lottery Rigged?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Or flipside give the Coyotes and Panthers a boost to become a stronger team and try to solidify those markets

In the end if the Wild won their last game they would have won 3rd and OP probably isnt making this thread...

Naw the NHL still would have found a way for the hawks to jump up 9 spots.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
My point is why would they go out of their way to rig the lottery, and put their reputation on the line, for a much smaller company? What’s the upside there? EY wouldn’t risk that.

For examples of this, see every corporation ever. Having a big business involved in a transaction does little if nothing to ensure transparency, quality, or honesty. If anything, a big company is far more likely to absorb any fallout from a scandal. For more, see 2008.

For the record, I don't actually have a shred of evidence and I don't even particularly care either. I just don't think corporate involvement in any way guarantees honesty.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
That's why it's rigged.

This sounds great, but it's as exciting as watching paint dry. But for those really, really interested, there's a video from last year's drawing that illustrates how it all works. [Spoiler: the video is about 15 minutes long; the drawing itself took about 6 1/2 minutes, and required one redraw.]

Sure, it's more exciting than the irrelevant banter that went on in the "exciting leadup" to the actual announcement of the results, but people would be screaming about Bettman reading through the instructions, screaming about wanting to know the combinations assigned to each team ahead of time, screaming about how the balls came out 13-9-11-2 and that's different than 2-9-11-13 and how it's "clearly proof" the league is rigging things [failing to understand the concept of a "combination" of numbers], and I can't begin to imagine some of the other truly crazy stuff. Plus, if there have to be multiple redraws that could add a decent amount of time to how long the entire process takes to carry out. I can already hear some drawing where there's a 9th redraw and its
OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL NHL, CAN YOU NOT FIX THIS **** FROM HAPPENING?

But, if someone wants to sit there for 15-20 minutes or so and watch that kind of hot, ping-pong ball on ping-pong ball action take place, .... OK.

Then put all 15 at risk of finishing 15th, either have a lottery or don't, and follow the NFL model.

You have your drama, and you are not being the Wizard behind the curtain in the land of Oz.

If the NHL is so inept you have multiple redraws as you suggest, then why is it again the system should be trusted?

Why is the NFL not afraid of tanking but the NHL is?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
i mean look its obviously not rigged

but its f***in RIGGED my dudes WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
If the NHL is so inept you have multiple redraws as you suggest, then why is it again the system should be trusted?
Insert facepalm images.

So if, let's say, Colorado won the first lottery and then the second lottery they won again, instead of redrawing they should just have Colorado pick 1st and 2nd?

You just don't understand how the lottery works but it's perfectly fine.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
No, but I think it's stupid that a team like Blackhawks can win it. Miss the playoffs barely after a resurgence giving promise for next season, then win the lottery. It just feels ridiculously unfair. Honestly, Stanley Cup should lock a team out of lottery for 5 years.

I sure hope you were saying the same about Winnipeg, Philly, Dallas, Carolina, among other teams when they jumped up

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Tricked me lol. I thought yes would be the first option and no the second.

The draft lottery isn’t rigged. If it were, Edmonton doesn’t get McDavid and Matthews definitely goes to Arizona.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
:eyeroll: Go read up on how the lottery process works, then see if your question really makes any sense. Better yet, watch the video - it explains why a redraw might happen. If you really, really, really still don't understand it, see if someone can explain it for you.

Why is the NFL not afraid of tanking but the NHL is?
Since I'm not the NFL commissioner, I can't answer that question in a way that will probably make you happy. However, history suggests very strongly that adding a superstar rookie player to an NFL team doesn't have an immediate, dramatic impact on that team's success - mostly because that player is only playing one (1) position [either offense or defense] for a limited amount of time, and the success of that particular unit relies on the play of ten (10) other guys. Hockey, on the other hand, utilizes fewer players and an individual's play has a stronger effect on his teammates, even if he's also only playing for a limited amount of time.

Or, maybe because the NFL doesn't give a shit about tanking and figures if teams want to suck ass endlessly, that's the team's problem to figure out. I don't know, and honestly I don't care.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Insert facepalm images.

So if, let's say, Colorado won the first lottery and then the second lottery they won again, instead of redrawing they should just have Colorado pick 1st and 2nd?

You just don't understand how the lottery works but it's perfectly fine.

Get with technology, you just use a random number generator.. Team is removed after it wins.
Hell have the guys in Vegas who are regulated by gaming commission, create a Keno version of it.

There are lots of ways vs the antiquated way of how the NHL does it.

Last edited:

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Get with technology, you just use a random number generator.. Team is removed after it wins.
Hell have the guys in Vegas who are regulated by gaming commission, create a Keno version of it.

How many lotteries do you think still use balls? It's not archaic nor does it cause any issues. "Oh no they need to take 30 more seconds to redo the lottery!!! Also in doing so it can be independently verified not to be rigged..."

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
How many lotteries do you think still use balls? It's not archaic nor does it cause any issues. "Oh no they need to take 30 more seconds to redo the lottery!!! Also in doing so it can be independently verified not to be rigged..."
Lots of people still use land lines for phones, does not make it wrong, but it is an antiquated.

Also the lottery that use balls are much cleaner. If you still want to use the little balls then simply use 15 balls if you finish last 14 if you finish 2nd to last 13 for next and so on. Team logo on each.
For the first pick ball pops up, take 30 seconds to remove any other balls, then do the next and so on. Do all 15 teams, make it a true lottery. Or you can stop after 3

And my whole point has been remove the curtain, I don't believe it is rigged, but there is an easy way to eliminate these things.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Lots of people still use land lines for phones, does not make it wrong, but it is an antiquated.

Also the lottery that use balls are much cleaner. If you still want to use the little balls then simply use 15 balls if you finish last 14 if you finish 2nd to last 13 for next and so on. Team logo on each.
For the first pick ball pops up, take 30 seconds to remove any other balls, then do the next and so on. Do all 15 teams, make it a true lottery. Or you can stop after 3

And my whole point has been remove the curtain, I don't believe it is rigged, but there is an easy way to eliminate these things.
You're missing the actual intent of the lottery. There's 1001 combinations using 14C4. This gives them the ability to assign values to give each team percentage based on standings. It's designed how they want. They don't want to give equal odds to last place and 15th place.

And how is their a curtain if they show it after? It's Sportsnet who wants to make it exciting and they throw them a bone by giving them a chance to showcase the lottery results before showing the actual lottery drawing - which is attended by a representative of each team, the league and E&Y.

Again, your complaint comes down to...what exactly? You want a random generator on a computer (that isn't as easily verified) compared to one using lottery balls (that is)? Okay...

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Shakes his head in disbelief..

Dear God, do you not understand how to watch a video? The ping pong balls represent the random number generator. Except in this case, it's totally transparent to everyone how the random numbers were selected, instead of flipping open a laptop and firing up Excel and running RANDBETWEEN(1,14) enough times to get four different numbers, and telling everyone "trust me, this is totally on the up-and-up, nothing's been tampered with!"

After a team wins, it's .... eliminated. In this case, it's eliminated by designating its combinations as "redraw." That eliminates the need to figure out who wins, randomly assign their combinations to the winning teams in some proportion, and distribute to teams to review and accept. I mean, I can easily name half a dozen issues with trying to redistribute the winning combinations back to the other teams that would cause more alarm and more cries of IT'S A CONSPIRACY! than simply treating the winning combinations as a redraw.

Seriously, the concept of how it's done isn't difficult to understand.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
For examples of this, see every corporation ever. Having a big business involved in a transaction does little if nothing to ensure transparency, quality, or honesty. If anything, a big company is far more likely to absorb any fallout from a scandal. For more, see 2008.

For the record, I don't actually have a shred of evidence and I don't even particularly care either. I just don't think corporate involvement in any way guarantees honesty.
It's an accounting firm. Being involved in a conspiracy is against the purpose of their business.

Look up Arthur Andersen and the fallout they endured after the Enron scandal. A grand conspiracy coming to light is likely the end of EY. They're not risking that for a freaking sports draft

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Again, your complaint comes down to...what exactly? You want a random generator on a computer (that isn't as easily verified) compared to one using lottery balls (that is)? Okay...
If people want to use a RNG on a computer instead of ping pong balls, I'm cool with that. I mean, I've done work in the past to understand how to rig some of them to get them to produce the results that I want, and I know of research that's been done in this area to get a truly random seed value instead of a default one used by the system that allows the future numbers to be predicted [or going the other way, how to "break" a RNG so that you understand the pattern of numbers that will be generated given a seed value], but yeah - it's a computer, so clearly we can trust it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad