Do you think that Peladeau would be a better owner?

Would Peladeau be a better owner than Molson?

• Total voters

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yes, PKP at least has dignity. a lot of honor and wants to win. HE also understand how big of a cultural concept Montreal Canadiens are

Molson doesn't give a single **** about winning, he wants Playoff money and that's it. he doesn't want to win, he wants to contend and make money in 1 or 2 playoff round every year.
You've created two imaginary caricatures.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bingo. I actually like Molson as an owner.

I just think he needs an advisor or buffer between him and the GM. Someone more hockey or sports savvy.

It's so obvious! Molson needs to separate himself from hockey operations accountability and run the business side of things. He's profited a lot of money in the last few seasons and looks like this season will be the same. Time to go out there and find someone to be our president. Good timing too cause Bergevin has 2 years left and gives the new guy at president time to review before the 2 years is up

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
owner is ok, president is a disaster, we need an nhl version of Masai Ujiri, a winner to build a winner.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Agreed. Thinking that Molson does not care about winning cause we are frustrated with our team not being contenders is evidence of overreaction. The biggest issue however is Molson as our President. He is not qualified for the job and it's simple as that. He lacks hockey operation experience and has no idea cause that is not his background.

I agree with everything here.

He clearly loves the Habs. He didn't hesitated to sign Julien to a fat contract even tho he just signed "The One We Shall Not Talk About" to a huge contract too, because he tought it would improve the team.
But he's too hands on.
He's the perfect owner but one of the worst team president in the league.

As for Peladeau, he can go f*** himself.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I agree with everything here.

He clearly loves the Habs. He didn't hesitated to sign Julien to a fat contract even tho he just signed "The One We Shall Not Talk About" to a huge contract too, because he tought it would improve the team.
But he's too hands on.
He's the perfect owner but one of the worst team president in the league.

As for Peladeau, he can go **** himself.
The problem is not he is too hands on, the problem this franchise has no winners to lead fearlessly forward. Make hard decisions, like dealing a franchise player even though your team was first overall only cause you did not win a championship. (ref. Ujiri)
Deal for a player that might leave in a year, just cause he can get a championship!

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
To be honest, Habs need to move out of Quebec to lose that obsession with hiring GM and coach that speak french as the main criteria for hiring. Or a ballsy enough owner with no ties to le belle province who doesn't give a rats @SS about how language thing plays out. Hire the best for the job and hire them a translator.

I hope this is satire. You have 30 teams functionning 100% in english and you torture yourself by being fan of the only one that's in a french-speaking state and that respects its fanbase by honoring and respecting the language they speak. Why would you do this.

Considering the vast majority of our cups were won with french-speaking staff and a lot of french-speaking stars, it's kind of the proof that going with that isn't damaging in the slightest. On the contrary. In fact, since we have less French stars, we win less... Toe Blake, Frank Selke, frères Richard, Jean Béliveau, BoomBoom, Serge Savard, Scotty Bowman, Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe, Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy... I wont name every successful player/staff member who spoke French but underlined are people with English as their mother tongue who just found it natural to learn the language of the place they were playing for.

I dont see the big deal. It's even a strength under some perspective. Lots of good staff members may not have been hired elsewhere if not for the Habs going out and trying people from the Q. We have a pool from which to draw from that's in our backyard. Do we have the best french speaking managenarial talent? Of course not. But if we had a Brisebois/Ducharme tandem?

It's not like MB was a bad idea at first. AGM and scout for one of the greatest post-lock-out organization, experience in the league. But they hanged on to him too long, I agree.

Btw, ironically, Julien and MB are the only ones in all Habs org (players included), to have their name on the Stanley cup since Shaw is gone (unless Im forgetting someone).

Last edited:
Reactions: tazsub3

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I hope this is satire. You have 30 teams functionning 100% in english and you torture yourself by being fan of the only one that's in a french-speaking state and that respects its fanbase by honoring and respecting the language they speak. Why would you do this.

Considering the vast majority of our cups were won with french-speaking staff and a lot of french-speaking stars, it's kind of the proof that going with that isn't damaging in the slightest. On the contrary. In fact, since we have less French stars, we win less... Toe Blake, Frank Selke, frères Richard, Jean Béliveau, BoomBoom, Serge Savard, Scotty Bowman, Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe, Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy... I wont name every successful player/staff member who spoke French but underlined are people with English as their mother tongue who just found it natural to learn the language of the place they were playing for.

I dont see the big deal. It's even a strength under some perspective. Lots of good staff members may not have been hired elsewhere if not for the Habs going out and trying people from the Q. We have a pool from which to draw from that's in our backyard. Do we have the best french speaking managenarial talent? Of course not. But if we had a Brisebois/Ducharme tandem?

It's not like MB was a bad idea at first. AGM and scout for one of the greatest post-lock-out organization, experience in the league. But they hanged on to him too long, I agree.

Btw, ironically, Julien and MB are the only ones in all Habs org (players included), to have their name on the Stanley cup since Shaw is gone (unless Im forgetting someone).
And that is why i said you need winners taking bold decision. Had the president said we chose the best regardless s of languange, we would have had articles for a week, and finished with the story once and for all.
Instead we have a p***y of a president.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

the number of teams exploded
the number of american talent exploded
the number of worldwide talent exploded
the structure of hockey organization got way better
actual worldwide scouting became a thing

Things are different, but we don't want to adapt.

our past success is only a proof that it used to work in a different time, and you can literally flip your argument as a proof that it actually does NOT work in todays NHL as the vast majority of stanley cup winning GMs and coaches were not French Canadian in the past 30+ years.

we don't win less because we don't have french stars, we win less because we're the only ones clinging to that idea that we need french stars, coach, GM and owner and make boneheaded counter-productive move just to try to achieve that outdated goal

man I can't even begin to understand how you would come to that conclusion in 2019

PS: before you make that argument I am french canadian, french is my first language,

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
the number of teams exploded
the number of american talent exploded
the number of worldwide talent exploded
the structure of hockey organization got way better
actual worldwide scouting became a thing

Things are different, but we don't want to adapt.

our past success is only a proof that it used to work in a different time, and you can literally flip your argument as a proof that it actually does NOT work in todays NHL as the vast majority of stanley cup winning GMs and coaches were not French Canadian in the past 30+ years.

we don't win less because we don't have french stars, we win less because we're the only ones clinging to that idea that we need french stars, coach, GM and owner and make boneheaded counter-productive move just to try to achieve that outdated goal

man I can't even begin to understand how you would come to that conclusion in 2019

It's not counter-productive, it's a strength we dont nearly exploit to the fullest. I explained to you why. Let's agree to disagree.

Oh, and nice dodging of my last point. Seems like the Frenchies were doing well for themselves before joining the Habs, since their name are engraved on the cup.

You know that Julien has as many cup rings as Babcock even if the latter has had generally better rosters under him?

But let's hear it, what GM/coach combo would be better? I dont doubt there are some btw, just that when you start to pick it apart, you realize managerial/coaching talent in general is scarce. We have the opportunity to hire some fresh, up and coming staffers from our backyard, like we did with Ducharme and Bouchard who are very promising and the probable heirs to MB, Julien and co.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
I think he would because Peladeau has a HUUUUUUUUGE ego and he hates losing.

Don't know why everybody seem to hate the guy. We have a hard time with ''extravagant'' personalities here in Quebec.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't buy that Molson doesn't care about the on-ice product and winning. I think that's an insane take to be honest.

Would Péladeau be better? Maybe. Maybe not. I don't think he would be significantly better or worse. Péladeau looks slightly unstable on social media recently though.
Molson's actions speak louder than his words....it sure doesn't seem to matter whether the Habs win or lose.....as long as the $$$ keeps flowing.

Actions speak louder than words.....until his actions change, we will not be winning any time soon. He has yet, in 8 years to hold MB accountable. If MB's last name was Cunneyworth what would have already happen?

Mol$on is a franco soft spoken Harold Ballard type, let's not kid ourselves.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think he would because Peladeau has a HUUUUUUUUGE ego and he hates losing.

Don't know why everybody seem to hate the guy. We have a hard time with ''extravagant'' personalities here in Quebec.

It's not extravagance that's the problem.

He has political ties and owns several media agencies.

That's a horrible recipe.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Molson's actions speak louder than his words....it sure doesn't seem to matter whether the Habs win or lose.....as long as the $$$ keeps flowing.

Actions speak louder than words.....until his actions change, we will not be winning any time soon. He has yet, in 8 years to hold MB accountable. If MB's last name was Cunneyworth what would have already happen?

Mol$on is a franco soft spoken Harold Ballard type, let's not kid ourselves.

Pure delirium

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad