Do you think that Peladeau would be a better owner?

Would Peladeau be a better owner than Molson?

• Total voters

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly, PKP would be like Joey Saputo. I feel like he would be involved too much in everything that is hockey related, like the polar opposite of Geoff Molson.

Can we have a real hockey president now?

To some extent, having a real Soccer President to the Impact may have changed things. I really say may.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
The problem is not he is too hands on, the problem this franchise has no winners to lead fearlessly forward. Make hard decisions, like dealing a franchise player even though your team was first overall only cause you did not win a championship. (ref. Ujiri)
Deal for a player that might leave in a year, just cause he can get a championship!

What we need is a new team president that would not be scared to can Bergevin.
Bergevin should have been fired the moment he entertained to trade Subban.

But as owner goes, we truly can't get much better.
I truly belives that he LOVES the Habs, and he has infinite money. What else can we ask for?

Reactions: tazsub3

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Also: Subban >> Weber, for damn sure. It was a mistake from day one. Subban isn't good right now, but so is Weber aka the worst goddamn skater on the team right now.

Subban was pretty meh last season. Weber was good last season. I trust Weber to bounce back more as his game never really relied on being mobile and rushing in the first place. There's also a difference between being injured for a year and actually playing and being meh for a year.

Only time will tell but I recall Markov getting two leg injuries and still being effective late into his NHL career on account on his game not being about speed but more positioning.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Disagree on that. Everyone wants to win and make money. Maybe you have a leg to stand on if you said he values money more than winning but saying he doesn't care about winning? Sorry, I disagree.
I think he views winning as a bonus, not a necessity. Bell center is full every night, that's what he cares about. He wants people to be entertained, enjoy their hockey experience and want to come back. He wants the team to be popular so it's easily marketable.
If he can achieve all this without winning, then so be it. Win or lose, who cares. Great if he does, but wont push his GM to excellence if he doesnt either.
That's what we've been seeing from him. Still selling out, even preseason games are rocking the bell center...so...any real need to win? Meh..not really.

Reactions: lo striver

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
At this point, we literally could not do worse as far as ownership goes, so the only two possible answers are Yes, or more of the same.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
This is what this place has come too?

Pull yourselves together people.

Don't live in the rearview, it's not healthy.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
We can do a lot worse.

Molson is not a bad owner but he's lacking as a president of hockey ops.

He might not be a bad owner but it looks more and more likely that he’s a cheap one. This season we are yet again going into it with 7 (?) millions available in cap space, in spite of Montreal always being top 3 in profits.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Good point about the competitiveness of PKP and that he would be the more inclined to hear the uproar of the public frustration. He would be more demanding to his GM.

On the other hand, someone mentioned at one point that the Habs have become the Paris Hilton of hockey and I fear this is what would happen even more under PKP, bunch of shallow crap. Looking at the shows on TVA, it would not be a comfort to see him in charge based on that. TVA sport itself is atrocious with dummy Morrisette.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
An active owner like that doesn't always turn out well... Look at the Sens. The issue we have here is we don't have a hockey guy at president cause the owner put himself as president and he provides no hockey operations value.

Habs #1 problem is our owner is president. He's not a active President where he tells the GM what to do which could cause issues (like the Sens owner) but it's the opposite. He stays quiet cause he can't provide any hockey operations value.

Pretty sure he can oversee business operations as CEO and hire a hockey guy to be the president. It's so obvious it's not funny anymore

About Melnyk, the main problem with him is that he is cheap. If the owner is competitive and has a big mouth but he is not afraid to spend money then it's not a problem. Look at Ed Snyder.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Give us your opinion......do you not agree that actions speak louder than words? I think if Gillette stayed the owner, we would be much better off.

Well He's not Citizen Kane saying his media people what to say, Peladeau is left-leaning(his name is Carl but changed it to Karl for obvious reasons) yet has plenty of right wingers working in his journals, he has many people with different voices. We know he has been for Quebec's separation but he is not vocal about it, not even in his papers.

I have my doubts about him as the Habs as an owner but not for the political stuff.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
He might not be a bad owner but it looks more and more likely that he’s a cheap one. This season we are yet again going into it with 7 (?) millions available in cap space, in spite of Montreal always being top 3 in profits.

Where do you get profits from, as opposed to revenue?

We may have millions in cap space but we also have millions buried in the minors and until recently we were paying two coaches, the current one making about twice as much as the average coach.

If Aho had joined how much cap space would we have?

There is no evidence that Molson has Bergevin on a budget. We don't spend to the cap because our GM never has a plan that he is capable of implementing.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Subban wasn't the problem, our handling of him was. The organization did not like him having an image outside the team, he was crafting his "brand" and the organization wanted him to fall in line. MT publicly saying he wants to make Subban a better person" really speaks volumes to how we manage young stars in an ever evolving world. Same with Galchenyuk and Bergevin turning it to a personal and very public one died-feud with him. Calling him out even before the season started, saying he will not play him at center, he has seen enough to determine he's not a fit there. We proceed to put him on the 4th freakin line, a checking line, on the wing so he could "learn to play center". Same with Markov, Radulov and Pacioretty. We went from a world class organization to an all crass organization under Bergevin and co.

Trading Subban for Weber was unnecessary, Subban was under contract and would have simply continued to play.
Trading Galchenyuk would not have been necessary had they actually tried to develop him properly instead of letting MT and Bergevin cradle DD at his expense.
Bergevin clearly learned nothing from his time in Chicago.
Pacioretty wasn't a great leader, I agree. He should have never been named captain and players voted for him my ass.
Trading Sergachev was a stupid move and an obvious PR stunt that has yet to pay off on or off the ice.
Not paying Radulov and extra mil he asked for to keep him was another ego move that backfired.
Not re-signing Markov and not having a replacement in place left us with a gaping hole on LD that has yet to be filled.

He wasn't dealt a bad hand, he didn't know how to play the game and threw away good cards needlessly. Now he's saying the game is hard because he still can't fix what he broke.

Subban was obviously a lockerroom cancer—complete narcissist.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Getting Weber for Subban was a huge win for Bergy.

Subban got traded twice in his prime. And the second time he got traded for peanuts. Just sayin'.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Where do you get profits from, as opposed to revenue?

We may have millions in cap space but we also have millions buried in the minors and until recently we were paying two coaches, the current one making about twice as much as the average coach.

If Aho had joined how much cap space would we have?

There is no evidence that Molson has Bergevin on a budget. We don't spend to the cap because our GM never has a plan that he is capable of implementing.

Yeah, you’re right it was operating income not straight profits, but it paints a good picture anyways.

The Business Of Hockey

You can’t bury players in the minors with this cba agreement, the most you can get is a ~ 1M relief off your cap for those players.

who cares about how many coaches we’re paying?? As far as I’m aware the 7 million we keep carrying around in empty cap space is to balance the coaches salaries and other costs Molson feels we’re paying for, how about that?

Toronto overhauled their entire scouting and analytics departments, they changed everything with the marlins, they paid shanny a shit ton of money and Babcock too. Am I supposed to cry for Molson’s money now? I want this team to be the best in everything, not cheap out on scouting, management, etc.

if if and buts were candy and nuts, we’d win the cup; unfortunately Aho never joined the team so I don’t know how much cap we’d have if he did.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Yeah, you’re right it was operating income not straight profits, but it paints a good picture anyways.

The Business Of Hockey

You can’t bury players in the minors with this cba agreement, the most you can get is a ~ 1M relief off your cap for those players.

who cares about how many coaches we’re paying?? As far as I’m aware the 7 million we keep carrying around in empty cap space is to balance the coaches salaries and other costs Molson feels we’re paying for, how about that?

Toronto overhauled their entire scouting and analytics departments, they changed everything with the marlins, they paid shanny a **** ton of money and Babcock too. Am I supposed to cry for Molson’s money now? I want this team to be the best in everything, not cheap out on scouting, management, etc.

if if and buts were candy and nuts, we’d win the cup; unfortunately Aho never joined the team so I don’t know how much cap we’d have if he did.

So you acknowledge your first fact was wrong. Amend your post so it makes sense. That is embarassing. What private company publishes their profits? How could you even think that information would be in the public domain?

Don't try to paint pictures - use facts.

Now your evidence is your feeling? Do you have anything beyond that? You have already demonstrated that you aren't good with facts and comprehension. Don't ask me how I feel, feelings are irrelevant. As for not caring about how many coaches we are paying or how much, if the discussion we are having is based upon what you care about it is pointless. Why do you only base your budget "feelings" on the cap as opposed to the budget? I guess that accords with your inability to understand revenue and profit.

If preserving cap space is a mandate, why even go after Aho?

Who is asking you to cry for Molson's money? What an idiotic statement.

You are unable to make a factual argument. Stop trying.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
So you acknowledge your first fact was wrong. Amend your post so it makes sense. That is embarassing. What private company publishes their profits? How could you even think that information would be in the public domain?

Don't try to paint pictures - use facts.

Now your evidence is your feeling? Do you have anything beyond that? You have already demonstrated that you aren't good with facts and comprehension. Don't ask me how I feel, feelings are irrelevant. As for not caring about how many coaches we are paying or how much, if the discussion we are having is based upon what you care about it is pointless. Why do you only base your budget "feelings" on the cap as opposed to the budget? I guess that accords with your inability to understand revenue and profit.

If preserving cap space is a mandate, why even go after Aho?

Who is asking you to cry for Molson's money? What an idiotic statement.

You are unable to make a factual argument. Stop trying.

So you offer no rebuttals, you don’t acknowledge your mistake regarding burying contracts and you wrote a whole paragraph going on a complete tangent about my “feelings” that have nothing to do with the fact that this team has had 7M on cap space for 2 years in a row.

At least now I know to ignore your further replies since they offer none of those facts you keep talking about. Have a good one friendo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad