Do you think Oilers would improve if they dealt McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If they got a legitimate #1 defenseman (Jones, Subban, w/e) and a center to replace McDavid that can put up 60 points yes they are better tomorrow. Edmonton hasn't had an elite defenseman in 14 years (Pronger). Among the problems affecting the franchise this is probably the biggest.

Johansen + Subban + Tolvanen and Fabbro + multiple 1sts and 2nds + Smith/Fiala for Lucic and McDavid.

Edmonton gets a no.1 C, whatever they think Subban slots in as, a solid 50 point player, two blue chip prospects, and whatever picks they want.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
9 first overall? Put down the pipe please. I know medical weed is legal here and all. The number is half-that.
Does the Number being 4 make you feel any better? How many does a franchise need until they get it right? It’s still 4 more than 1/2 the league has ever had. Edmonton also has picked 3rd, 4th, 7th, and 10th (twice) so it’s 9 top 10 picks!

Edmonton depending on lottery luck and tanking to build winners while the rest of the league is building by scouting and drafting.

Last edited:

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Lindros refused to report to Quebec and said he'd never do. That's a huge difference to the McDavid situation.

Yes, meaning that McDavid could probably fetch more on the market than the a.hole, making the point even stronger. McDavid's return would be crazy. But marketing-wise it makes no sense for the Oilers to trade away their star player.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Lindros never played a game with Qc any return made them better in a trivial way, it cannot be used we do not know what the Nordiques would have looked like if they iced a Sundin-Lindros-Nolan line with Sakic on the second one, they would have been good. That move like Gretzky was for a lot of money, something that we could not see now.

If Forsberg does not pan out and become one of the great of that era:

Steve Duchesne
Peter Forsberg
Ron Hextall
Kerry Huffman
Mike Ricci
$15M cash
1993 1st round pick (#10-Jocelyn Thibault)
future considerations (Chris Simon 1994 1st round pick (#10-Nolan Baumgartner))

For Lindros, would not look particularly good.

In the cap era and a team that would need to get good right away (the trade cannot be build around draft picks, they need to start to make the playoff soon) it is hard to imagine a McDavid trade working, he represent so much value at a good price. I imagine the Oilers would consider it if it involve some of the great contract coming their way (Mackinnon, Marchand, Mohannan type), some good contract and let them get rid of 1-2 bad contract at the same time. But I am not sure if it can work for the receiving team math wise.

Maybe the new expansion team would make it possible, they can put their hand on an impressive list of good contract and have room to move.

PS The Nordiques missed the playoff in 93-94 with a terrible season

I love your assumption "If Forsberg does not pan out". What about "if Lindros does not pan out"? Then does it look good? We can make a lot of crap assumptions like this.

The trade was good for what became the Colorado Avalanches.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I love your assumption "If Forsberg does not pan out". What about "if Lindros does not pan out"? Then does it look good? We can make a lot of crap assumptions like this.

The trade was good for what became the Colorado Avalanches.

Well obviously if Lindros burst it look even better what assumption is made with the conditional if ?

The Lindros trade look way better for that organisation that what it could have easily been, considering how a prospect just drafted #6th overall achieved to gain way above the average value of a first overall, making it a 1 for 1 trade something to even consider isn't something to expect of a trade like that. Imagine if one of the pick Edmonton got from Los Angeles got for Gretzky would have became the next Gretzky that make the exact same deal look better to some, even if it change nothing to the actual trade.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Do you think the Lightning would improve if they dealt Kucherov? How about the Penguins and Crosby? The Caps and Ovechkin? The Flames and Gaudreau?

There is a difference. All of those teams have a great supporting cast.

Kucherov has Stamkos, Point, Hedman, McDonagh, Vasilevsky, etc. Then depth players like Miller and Johnson.

Ovechkin has Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie, Holtby, Carlson, etc. Then depth players like Vrana, Wilson, Burakovsky, etc.

McDavid has Draisaitl, RNH, and... thats it.

You cant succeed in this game without depth. The Oilers have none.

If the Oilers made a deal with the Predators for example, and moved McDavid for Ryan Johansen, Subban, two 1st round picks and a solid prospect, the Oilers would be much better long term.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
They would be better off if they did trade and get blue chip prospects and 1st round picks. They would suck horribly for a couple years, get high picks of their own, and be ready to compete in 3-4years.

However, this is the Oilers and there's 0 faith they could succeed with the return and are far better off keeping him.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
My answer is no because the only reason they would trade him is because he asked for a trade. If he asks for a trade, the Oilers would have no leverage and would end up not getting what he's worth.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
No, Mcdavid just turned 22 still plenty of time to build around him. It's interesting to think what they could get for him though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They wouldn't improve because they'd never get a return that would justify dealing him. If we're talking Draisaitl? Maybe at that point, but no team would ever pay enough to make the Oilers a better team by trading McDavid.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I feel a big reason to say no is how much value a peak 23 to 28 year,s old McDavid at 12.5M is under a cap system.

This is a league were player like Max Pacioretty just got $7M.

McDavid is worth more for a team than having 3 Max Pacioretty. Tavares just got 11M, McDavid is more than just 15% better than him.

He has a lot of value by dollars and that if caps / salary raise will augment during that contract that end up with him under 30 year's, they are all peak years at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad