Do you think Oilers would improve if they dealt McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
How about:
McDavid +Lucic to Buffalo for Eichel + Ristolainen + 1st round pick

Who says no?

A 6 million cap dump who gets to sit next to the other 6 million cap dump Okposo for the next 4 years + a top 15 pick + a #1 center + a 40- 50 point defenseman for the best player in the league? No thanks. Takes more than one player to win games. Oilers won another cup after they traded Gretzky but Gretzky never won it again after he was traded.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I remember there were people saying the Pens would improve if they deal Jagr. And they did. All it took was dealing Jagr, drafting Malkin and Crosby and waiting six years for the improvements to settle in.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In the short term they would be better for sure, just by icing a much deeper team. In the long-term though, if they had a competent management group to surround McDavid, that team would be better than a team built of McDavid's Return players.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
If the oilers are in the same position next year as they are this year? McDavid asks for a trade. Regardless of what team it is--a star player will only suffer so much for the cause

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Trade Mcdavid to any team and they all (or almost) become top contender team

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Honestly...Probably yes. If a competent management group got the true value in assets for McDavid it would likely set the team up to be better. McDavid is the best player in the game and there's probably no doubting that but you can't build on just him. Trading him would allow them to bottom out further and get even more picks and then you add to the giant return you'd get for him...

Your top end talent wouldn't be the same but the depth would be significantly better.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Pretty much this
Yes, but they wouldn't get that kings ransom he's worth from any team.
and this
With a competent GM/Management -- yes.

With the current Management -- no way.

As long as Lowe/MacT et all. are running things trading McDavid would be a disaster of epic proportions. Either the players they got back would not be worth it, or they'd squander the draft picks (or both).
And definitely this lol
Hell no, the current Oilers management couldn't pull that trade off, they would absolutely lose that trade.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
If the oilers are in the same position next year as they are this year? McDavid asks for a trade. Regardless of what team it is--a star player will only suffer so much for the cause
And nobody is in a position to offer a proper exchange. Unless they are wiling to become a one line team. The second he signed a 12mil deal he became very hard to trade.

Reactions: haveandare

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I'd consider it for this package:

IF OTT 2019 1st is 1st overall

OTT 1st (#1 overall) + COL 1st (top 10 likely) + Makar + Rantanen + Zadorov

That's Jack Hughes + another stud who is 1-2 years away from being an impact guy + a potential #1RD + a #1 LW + a top 4 LD

Obviously the cap would be difficult to figure out but as a base, I'd think EDM considers it. IDK if the Avs ever consider that but a 1-2 punch of McDavid and MacKinnon would be filthy

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Not surprised he was "sick" last night.......I wonder how many games he'll back out of over the course of the next little while, as his Oilers capsize in the West, plummeting towards yet another lottery pick.

Hard to stay motivated and committed to winning, when management is that incompetent. I feel for the players as well as the fans. It ain't pretty.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
They'd probably improve as much as since they traded Taylor Hall. I heard Hall has been doing fantastic last year, he even left with the Hart Trophy. This year, injured and not as great, but ... a Great player!

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'd consider it for this package:

IF OTT 2019 1st is 1st overall

OTT 1st (#1 overall) + COL 1st (top 10 likely) + Makar + Rantanen + Zadorov

That's Jack Hughes + another stud who is 1-2 years away from being an impact guy + a potential #1RD + a #1 LW + a top 4 LD

Obviously the cap would be difficult to figure out but as a base, I'd think EDM considers it. IDK if the Avs ever consider that but a 1-2 punch of McDavid and MacKinnon would be filthy
Or keep the pick and have MacKinnon/Hughes and still have Makar + Rantanan...

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Id sell off other pieces not McDavid. Start fresh. However that hasnt worked in the past. They have had too many first overall picks in the last decade or so. They just need to hit on their draft picks and be better in trades.

Reactions: GeeoffBrown

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
There's one example of something similar to this in history: the Lindros trade. It made Qc better, though the benefits were made in Colorado.

Would it be different? Hard to say. Who would pay that much for a single player? The cap era also makes it more complicated.

Safe answer is : it won't happen anyway. If it happened, well, maybe. But those who easy "clearly no" should be careful.
Lindros refused to report to Quebec and said he'd never do. That's a huge difference to the McDavid situation.

Conor McDavitt

Oct 17, 2017
If the Oilers didn't have so much garbage wasting cap space on the team, the Oilers could be much better with McDavid on it.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Any talk of the Oilers sustaining a period of success under their current management regime is off the mark. The org is rotten from the owner down.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Or keep the pick and have MacKinnon/Hughes and still have Makar + Rantanan...
I'm not saying that's a bad idea but this thread is asking what would improve the Oilers if they deal McDaddy

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
Trading players and firing coaches and GM's hasn't worked for the last 20 years. Why would trading the best player this team has seen since Gretzky suddenly make it all click?

Until Katz clears house no amount of trades or coaches will fix the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->