Do you think Oilers would improve if they dealt McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
There's one example of something similar to this in history: the Lindros trade. It made Qc better, though the benefits were made in Colorado.

Lindros never played a game with Qc any return made them better in a trivial way, it cannot be used we do not know what the Nordiques would have looked like if they iced a Sundin-Lindros-Nolan line with Sakic on the second one, they would have been good. That move like Gretzky was for a lot of money, something that we could not see now.

If Forsberg does not pan out and become one of the great of that era:

Steve Duchesne
Peter Forsberg
Ron Hextall
Kerry Huffman
Mike Ricci
$15M cash
1993 1st round pick (#10-Jocelyn Thibault)
future considerations (Chris Simon 1994 1st round pick (#10-Nolan Baumgartner))

For Lindros, would not look particularly good.

In the cap era and a team that would need to get good right away (the trade cannot be build around draft picks, they need to start to make the playoff soon) it is hard to imagine a McDavid trade working, he represent so much value at a good price. I imagine the Oilers would consider it if it involve some of the great contract coming their way (Mackinnon, Marchand, Mohannan type), some good contract and let them get rid of 1-2 bad contract at the same time. But I am not sure if it can work for the receiving team math wise.

Maybe the new expansion team would make it possible, they can put their hand on an impressive list of good contract and have room to move.

PS The Nordiques missed the playoff in 93-94 with a terrible season

Ty Dolla

Jan 1, 2018
No no. Edmonton should keep McDavid. They also need to keep Lowe, Mactavish, Howson and Nicholson. In fact, they need more prominent hockey roles.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Do you think the Lightning would improve if they dealt Kucherov? How about the Penguins and Crosby? The Caps and Ovechkin? The Flames and Gaudreau?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Do you think the Lightning would improve if they dealt Kucherov? How about the Penguins and Crosby? The Caps and Ovechkin? The Flames and Gaudreau?
None of those guys have anywhere near trade value of McDavid. McDavid is worth 5-8 1st round draft picks

Connor McDavid To (insert team)

Return
2019 1st
2020 1st
2021 1st
2022 1st
2023 1st
--------------- (at least)
2024 1st
2025 1st
2026 1st

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Is this idea assuming the Oilers suddenly become a franchise that gets good value in return for forwards?

Lindros never played a game with Qc any return made them better in a trivial way, it cannot be used we do not know what the Nordiques would have looked like if they iced a Sundin-Lindros-Nolan line with Sakic on the second one, they would have been good. That move like Gretzky was for a lot of money, something that we could not see now.

If Forsberg does not pan out and become one of the great of that era:

Steve Duchesne
Peter Forsberg
Ron Hextall
Kerry Huffman
Mike Ricci
$15M cash
1993 1st round pick (#10-Jocelyn Thibault)
future considerations (Chris Simon 1994 1st round pick (#10-Nolan Baumgartner))

For Lindros, would not look particularly good.

In the cap era and a team that would need to get good right away (the trade cannot be build around draft picks, they need to start to make the playoff soon) it is hard to imagine a McDavid trade working, he represent so much value at a good price. I imagine the Oilers would consider it if it involve some of the great contract coming their way (Mackinnon, Marchand, Mohannan type), some good contract and let them get rid of 1-2 bad contract at the same time. But I am not sure if it can work for the receiving team math wise.

Maybe the new expansion team would make it possible, they can put their hand on an impressive list of good contract and have room to move.

PS The Nordiques missed the playoff in 93-94 with a terrible season
Lindros dramatically improved the Flyers. They didn’t win a Cup but it’s not like they were far off. The Nordiques also had a few half-decent guys lying around, namely Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin. I think they had just drafted Owen Nolan too.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
in theory they could but they would certainly f*** up the trade and most of the associated draft picks, i assume

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
FWIW, McDavid is 2nd in takeaway/giveaway ratio among players in the top 20 for points at a +26, the only player close to that is Scheifele who is one better at +27. Draisaitl is -34.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Yes, I’ve been thinking this for some time. McDavid is a superstar, but he needs a team that can generate completely without him. Oilers would benefit from a playmaker that operates more at ‘normal’ speed, like a Kucherov or Crosby.

I also believe, to the chagrin of many Pens fans, that Malkin should’ve been dealt around the early part of the decade when he was an undisputed top-3 forward in the league. In hindsight the Pens still had incredible success. I actually believe it could’ve been better.

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
The realistic answer is the Oilers don't want to trade him for awhile if at all. But if they did trade him they would get a huge return that would probably be better for the team.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The Oilers level of futility is quite simply unprecedented.

For a franchise to win FOUR of the NINE 1st overall picks of this current decade and to STILL be wallowing in mediocrity is just jaw dropping, particularly when their most recent 1st overall pick is a generational superstar, the successor to Crosby if you will.

The Oilers have reached a point where quite frankly all options should be on the table. Personally I don't think they should trade McDavid but build a better team around him because the supporting cast right now doesn't seem to be working.

No they haven't.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I also believe, to the chagrin of many Pens fans, that Malkin should’ve been dealt around the early part of the decade when he was an undisputed top-3 forward in the league. In hindsight the Pens still had incredible success. I actually believe it could’ve been better.

Not sure when was that exactly, but since 2011-2012 season:

Most regular season wins
Penguins: 773
Blues: 758
Caps: 755

Most playoff wins:
Pens: 56
Hawks: 48
Rangers/Caps: 46

2 Cups

Regular season PPG leaders (350 games played or more)

Crosby: 1.21
Malkin: 1.18
Kane: 1.09

Playoff points
Crosby: 103
Malkin: 92
Kane: 75

The Penguins have been the best team, never missed the playoff, Malkin have been arguably the second best player during that time frame.

To have a possible result during that time by trading him before the 11-12 season, I imagine you need to take chance on young nhl ready player ? Seem like taking quite a risk, to try to win more than 2 cups.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
None of those guys have anywhere near trade value of McDavid. McDavid is worth 5-8 1st round draft picks

Connor McDavid To (insert team)

Return
2019 1st
2020 1st
2021 1st
2022 1st
2023 1st
--------------- (at least)
2024 1st
2025 1st
2026 1st

And you know what? No team would ever pay half of that otherwise they'd just be another Edmonton. It's the cap era, depth is more important that top end quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->