Do you think Oilers would improve if they dealt McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I don't want Oilers fans to be upset, he's your best player and the leagues best player and you deserve to have him. But I want to ask if he was dealt would the return make the Oilers into an instant contender in the same way that Lindros was a generational talent but the return they got for him got the Avs 2 cups.

Simply put does a Kings ransom for McDavid make them into a top team in the league or do they suck no matter what until management/ownership changes.

That's all that's being asked. McDavid is not being traded and this is purely hypothetical. Would they improve or not with a massive return?

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I think they could if said package included two young but superstar players, one being a forward and one being a d-man + other parts.

Obviously no deal would ever be made but I think having 2-3 stars to eat more ice time would lead to more wins than they currently have.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The Oilers level of futility is quite simply unprecedented.

For a franchise to win FOUR of the NINE 1st overall picks of this current decade and to STILL be wallowing in mediocrity is just jaw dropping, particularly when their most recent 1st overall pick is a generational superstar, the successor to Crosby if you will.

The Oilers have reached a point where quite frankly all options should be on the table. Personally I don't think they should trade McDavid but build a better team around him because the supporting cast right now doesn't seem to be working.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I don't want Oilers fans to be upset, he's your best player and the leagues best player and you deserve to have him. But I want to ask if he was dealt would the return make the Oilers into an instant contender in the same way that Lindros was a generational talent but the return they got for him got the Avs 2 cups.

Simply put does a Kings ransom for McDavid make them into a top team in the league or do they suck no matter what until management/ownership changes.

That's all that's being asked. McDavid is not being traded and this is purely hypothetical. Would they improve or not with a massive return?

Do I get some time? Or right now?

No way they turn it around instantly. Give me a couple years and they would def be better than they are right now. It would almost be impossible to be worst. Aren’t they almost in last place in their division?

A couple young stud prospects, getting a high pick this year as well multiple #1’s in future drafts, and they’d build a great prospect line that would set them up.

Their best bet is to probably continue to lose this year and get McDavid some help through the draft to help him in a couple years. Because their current roster is not winning anything any time soon.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Yes I do.

I think in 3 years they would be a better team. A signed McDavid is probably worth more than anyone ever traded.

They could gut the team and suck for 3 years as they would without McDavid making them relevant

I dont think they will and people would die in the ensuing riot but long term I think they'd be better

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
With a competent GM/Management -- yes.

With the current Management -- no way.

As long as Lowe/MacT et all. are running things trading McDavid would be a disaster of epic proportions. Either the players they got back would not be worth it, or they'd squander the draft picks (or both).

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Easy no. It would be much easier and better for the team to find him 2 wingers and have RNH-Draisaitl on the second line.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Maybe it would force the management to truly improve instead of just hoping that one player can solve everything.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Is he worth a few players that could collectively put up better numbers than he can by himself? Probably yeah.

Is any team going give Edmonton what they would want for McDavid? No, because it would hurt any team too much.

He's probably untradeable if Edmonton wants to get the right value for him.

Its extremely lucky for Edmonton to draft him, unfortunately they can't seem to build a half decent team, even with guaranteed 100 point production from 1 player.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Considering they get fleeced in almost every trade and, at best, break even, I wouldn't roll that dice.

The Oilers should get a new owner and a new front office staff.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Oilers need to completely go scorched earth on their front office and clear the cancer that is Kevin Lowe / Craig MacTavish and so on.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

I doubt anyone would pay a kings ransom that would make them an instant contender. Who could be a potential partner? And then you need to get someone back that would be his equal, like Foppa was, and still have a boatload of talent on the roster. I don't see that happening at all. And a second trade that gives you one of the greatest goalies all time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad