WJC: Do you think Canada would have won gold if....

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
It's kind of hard to knock the Canadian D when you consider that most of those players are playing 4-5 spots above where they would slot on a Canadian Junior team that didn't send players to the pros while they were still junior eligible.

I would have pulled the plug after the second goal, short side shelf...
the book was out on him, never had confidence after that and usa was full of it...

Another omission we forget is Travis Hamonic, who was the best d all tourney(defensively), missed because of that swiss ***** who never payed a cent for his hit from behind....
International hockey is a joke when it comes to refs too.....10 mins for pietrangelos "hit from behind" when guy turned, give him 2 for the cross check, but come on......
Take nothing from usa, they played a good game...but we all know what would have happend if we had our whole team...lol

Never because the US played a solid game, minus the final 5 minutes where they just tried to protect the defensive zone and not really do anything... never because the US came together as a fast, talented product that was responsible at all ends of the ice... never because they had a kid that came in and stood on his head straight off the bench against a canadian team that was swarming...

Its obviously because Canada played... you know, B or C quality players.

Mr Lahey*

Never because the US played a solid game, minus the final 5 minutes where they just tried to protect the defensive zone and not really do anything... never because the US came together as a fast, talented product that was responsible at all ends of the ice... never because they had a kid that came in and stood on his head straight off the bench against a canadian team that was swarming...

Its obviously because Canada played... you know, B or C quality players.

Agreed!:handclap:

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
One thing Canada won't do again is pick a full line from a team just based off their dominance in whatever league they are in. Neimz and whoever that other guy is from the Hall line were total non-factors the whole tournament. (foreshadowing the Sharks line for the olympics? i hope not:( )
Would of liked to have seen Seguin play this year but oh well.

For whatever reason, Henrique was not even on Hall's line for most of the tournament. There was a rumor that he had a minor injury so he ended up on the fourth line. I think the coach should have kept that line together cause they had such chemistry. I think it would have made a difference in the tournament.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, Kane, etc. It's a damn impressive list, and while it would have made us a much stronger team, there's no guarantee that we would have won.

I really feel that the reason we lost was coaching. I wasn't impressed with him right from the start. And then watching both goalies struggle, and then watching only the American coach have the balls to make a change cemented it for me.

But congrats to the US. Loved the effort. Damn fast team you guys had.[/QUOTE]

"SPEED KILLS" .......and that is exactly what happened!

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Adding Hodgson would have increased Team Canada's skilled forward count from three to four.

Team USA had four dangerous lines, Canada had 2/3 + 1/3 and it wasn't put together until 10 minutes to go in the third period.

You're forgetting Kane, Duchene, and even Tavares is still eligible. But whatever, US deserved to win on the night and congrats.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Man the US team is loaded with speed. They played a good game. If Canada play a little defence and dosen't give them 3 2 on 1's for goals we win easy.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
This team was better than the one we had three years ago.... with Turris as Captain and top go to guy.... wow they could not buy a goal. But then again, we had a Sutter coaching and better goaltending.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Well it was already close without him...

But add Hodgson, Tavares, Duchene, Kane, etc. and the game is probably over after the first...

THis is the problem. If Canada was able to keep players that were junior eligible, it wouldn't be close. I don't know how many of the other teams lost players due to eligibility issues, but Tavares alone would make a huge difference. And I am American, so don't accuse me of homerism.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
What gets me is we have threads in here talking about Canada fielding two and three teams in the olympics, I've heard of guys saying Canada should form two teams in the WJC's, we hear all about how every international tournament is Canada's to lose and that no country has the depth they have; all of these kind of things. Then I turn around and see people talking about the eligible players who weren't on the team and how things would've been different had they been there. You can't have it both ways. You can't make all these claims and then turn around and point out all the guys you didn't have there that you could have. You have the deepest talent pool to pick from in the world, and all of us not in Canada have to hear about it nonstop all the time and not one of us would argue with that contention, yet now when you lose we have to hear about who you didn't have there and how it would've been different had they been there. You can't have it both ways and talk out of both sides of your mouth. It's ridiculous.

And this isn't directed at any one person and I'm not lumping all Canadian fans together as many haven't taken this route after the loss, but it's just ridiculous to have to listen to some of this now. You can't brag about depth and superiority and then turn around and complain and/or point out who you didn't have there that you could've and how things would've been different had they been there.

BLAME CANADA*

What gets me is we have threads in here talking about Canada fielding two and three teams in the olympics, I've heard of guys saying Canada should form two teams in the WJC's, we hear all about how every international tournament is Canada's to lose and that no country has the depth they have; all of these kind of things. Then I turn around and see people talking about the eligible players who weren't on the team and how things would've been different had they been there. You can't have it both ways. You can't make all these claims and then turn around and point out all the guys you didn't have there that you could have. You have the deepest talent pool to pick from in the world, and all of us not in Canada have to hear about it nonstop all the time and not one of us would argue with that contention, yet now when you lose we have to hear about who you didn't have there and how it would've been different had they been there. You can't have it both ways and talk out of both sides of your mouth. It's ridiculous.

And this isn't directed at any one person and I'm not lumping all Canadian fans together as many haven't taken this route after the loss, but it's just ridiculous to have to listen to some of this now. You can't brag about depth and superiority and then turn around and complain and/or point out who you didn't have there that you could've and how things would've been different had they been there.

Yeah team A has Stamkos, Hodgson, JT, Kane, Duchene, RoR and Myers, the point is that wasn't our top players and a lot of Americans are talking big and we're just point the players missing from the team. I don't mean to take anything away from team USA and happy that Canuck prospect Schroeder got that experience. It was a great game and the better team won.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yeah team A has Stamkos, Hodgson, JT, Kane, Duchene, RoR and Myers, the point is that wasn't our top players and a lot of Americans are talking big and we're just point the players missing from the team. I don't mean to take anything away from team USA and happy that Canuck prospect Schroeder got that experience. It was a great game and the better team won.

You have guys just about every year of that caliber that are eligible to play that don't. That's nothing new. That's my point. You have all this depth and talent to choose from and let everyone know it, no one should have to hear about who wasn't there that should have been. Not here trolling trying to start crap, I understand your point but that's the case just about every year for you guys and I don't remember hearing anything about this these previous years when you guys won, but now that there's a loss I do. And I'm not talking about this site because I wasn't here in years past, I'm talking people I know that I speak directly to and other message boards.

Levizk

Feb 12, 2007
Monroeville, PA
You have guys just about every year of that caliber that are eligible to play that don't. That's nothing new. That's my point. You have all this depth and talent to choose from and let everyone know it, no one should have to hear about who wasn't there that should have been. Not here trolling trying to start crap, I understand your point but that's the case just about every year for you guys and I don't remember hearing anything about this these previous years when you guys won, but now that there's a loss I do. And I'm not talking about this site because I wasn't here in years past, I'm talking people I know that I speak directly to and other message boards.

There will always be an excuse so I wouldn't worry too much about it. With the way hockey is growing in the US in 10-20 years the excuse will probably be that Canada is at a population disadvantage and if they had even 60 million people then they could produce the same depth of talent as the US. :naughty:

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
they played like a team and they didn't. Watching them play it seemed like stat padding lovefest for themselves, and not their team.

The skill of Taylor Hall is impressive, but he tried to do way to much himself.

Jordan Eberle was the only player on Canada who really scared me, and it was quite evident why. He may not have the skills of Hall, but I think he sees the game better...

Kadri started trying to do to much himself in the final game, and it was a huge mistake. I didn't see one reason why he was drafted so high after watching this whole tournament. TML fans should be happy that D'Amigo at least because Kadri showed nothing, but some poor poor play.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
With this American victory, I think back to the 2006 World Baseball Classic where Canada beat the USA.

Canada won that game, but everyone knows which country is better at baseball. It's the same sort of thing here.

Americans, enjoy the victory. Overall, it's good for the sport. But if you think that that we brought our best, you're dreaming.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
With this American victory, I think back to the 2006 World Baseball Classic where Canada beat the USA.

Canada won that game, but everyone knows which country is better at baseball. It's the same sort of thing here.

Americans, enjoy the victory. Overall, it's good for the sport. But if you think that that we brought our best, you're dreaming.

lmao someone is a bit bitter. Why cant people just face the facts that Canada lost fair and square? Usa winning made next tournament even better as our canadian boys will be looking for revenge!

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Canada lost because Pietralangelo(sp?) didn't score when he had the chance, and the Americans did. This game could've easily gone either way, just like the first one could've. Honestly it'd be nice to see a best of seven between the two teams.

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
Canada lost because Pietralangelo(sp?) didn't score when he had the chance, and the Americans did. This game could've easily gone either way, just like the first one could've. Honestly it'd be nice to see a best of seven between the two teams.

They can, I'm glad the U.S. won I just wish they got more coverage. U.S. played a Canadian-style game and it was good to see. They swept us completely iirc in the U-17s and U-18s or whatever as well so it's been a good year for American hockey, something that can only be a positive going forward.

To the OP, Hodgson would've definitely made a difference, but it would not be an "easy" win like some people are saying. How do we know how the tournament could've gone if Hodgson played, it could've been totally different. It couldn't hurt Canada's chances though (and would make them a lot better, imo) but that's fine it's how it goes sometimes.

Canadian players only have themselves to blame and management for perhaps overlooking players that could've been valuable assets to the team (Seguin comes to mind). It was a tough night for goaltenders on both teams too and some work definitely looked like it was needed there.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

A seven game series would be very interesting to see between these two teams. I just hope this isn't 2004 all over again and five or six years pass between golds. US needs to follow this up with a strong showing next year and start being there in the final game on a more consistent basis.

Lundface*

I'm a Canadian and I'm getting sick of the way people talk about international hockey.

Why do the Canadians think they are so much better than other nations? Hockey Canada needed this loss in a big way , and USA deserved to win 100%. They were the better team.

People complaining about goaltending have lost their minds. Did anyone see Lee in the final? 3 goals on 7 shots????????

In this tournament, I would have to say that Canada was the 3rd best nation. In terms of talent, the Swedes were first, USA second and Canada third.

The Swedes had by far the best goaltender, solid defensemen and some star forwards. USA had average goaltending, very good defence and good offence. Canada had average goaltending, average defence and good offence.

This however was on paper. In reality the Americans played the best as a UNIT and deserved to win. They were the best coached and most disciplined team this year.

Sweden choked hard against the States, and Canada faced very little competition besides USA ( in both games they miraculously tied it up late)

This edition of Canada OVERACHIEVED. Guys like Hodgson, Myers, Eberle and Tavares were able to carry that team. This year the only core player they had was Eberle.

The rest of the team was either far too individual or just didn't have the ability to make things happen. Nemisz was a waste, along with Henrique. Cormier was non existant, as was Bourque and the entire 4th line ( except they had a great final game)

Kadri and Hall were far too individual and predictable. Neither seems to possess much hockey sense, but Hall was far better in that he did quite a bit of damage ( and got burned a whole bunch of times)

The biggest killer was the defence. No real star shutdown pair or player present. In years past there were guys like Schenn, Weber, Staal, Myers....this year there was no one

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The only certain way they could have won was to give Jordan Eberle the kind of movie-amnesia where you can only remember the last 20 seconds, and every 20 seconds just tell him there's only 5 seconds left in the game.

50-2 win for Canada, imo.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
lmao someone is a bit bitter. Why cant people just face the facts that Canada lost fair and square? Usa winning made next tournament even better as our canadian boys will be looking for revenge!

Being bitter isn't always a bad thing. It just burns my biscuits because I know this tournament was easily winnable.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Some people are just not going to give the US the recognition they deserve for winning, but both teams are incredible.

Fact of the matter was, the US obvious DID NOT have the talent to beat Canada outright, but like Herb Brooks said, "You dont have enough talent to win on talent alone".

They played responsible hockey on all ends of the ice and played to each others strengths and did the best they could to conceal each others weaknesses, and it showed. Thats why this game was back and forth all damn night.

Canada has fantastic players. Like Blais said, its no mistake they have had the success they have, its not ********, its not faked... its not just luck Canada has won a lot of gold in the last five years, and no US fans are going to take that away. We know damn well what Canada has brought to the table.

This year was a bit different, though. We found a lot of counters to the Canadians strong points. Speed to put kids out of position, enough finesse to remove kids from certain plays. The US played what they could play, and nothing more. They busted their balls out there. I have to say, I haven't had that much fun watching a US team in years. They wanted that, not to say that Canada didn't, but they paid the price, they did everything they could to beat them at their game.

Lets be honest though, next year will be the true test. Canada is going to come out mad as hell. Everyone knows this. They say this is "Canadas game" and they want to prove it. Do I disagree? Sure. :D

They're going to come out mad as **** next year, though, and that is going to make for one hell of a tournament. There will be bad blood, there will be a rivalry again, there will be all the elements in place to make an incredible hockey game and next years WJC's cannot come soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad