WJC: Do you think Canada would have won gold if....

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Adding Hodgson would have increased Team Canada's skilled forward count from three to four.

Team USA had four dangerous lines, Canada had 2/3 + 1/3 and it wasn't put together until 10 minutes to go in the third period.

Willie is an idiot. He ran 7 forwards for the last 15 min, and 4 D.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
And it worked. He didn't have much of a choice either, the team this year was way too shallow.

Ya because he chose Henrique and nemisx to be part of the top 6. Because he chose Ryan Ellis 2.0 in Calvin DeHaan over a shutdown guy like Lalonde and Olsen.

yes in the game he had no choice. However that was because of errors in team selection

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
Coulda shoulda woulda.

USA won, it doesn't matter what could have happened.

The Big Swede*

Who does Canada have that can come back besides Hall?

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
We didn't get into a speed match vs the US. Obviously they were faster, thus enabling them to counter any chance; and create a chance at the other end.

I really thought Canada's coaching staff would stress for the defence to not pinch and get caught.

However, Teubert played that 3 on 1 well and left really only Carlson the short side to shoot at, which in fact he did.

BlackAces*

We didn't get into a speed match vs the US. Obviously they were faster, thus enabling them to counter any chance; and create a chance at the other end.

I really thought Canada's coaching staff would stress for the defence to not pinch and get caught.

However, Teubert played that 3 on 1 well and left really only Carlson the short side to shoot at, which in fact he did.

Jones was caught napping, but Carlson made a really nice play to look him off before taking the shot.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Well it was already close without him...

But add Hodgson, Tavares, Duchene, Kane, etc. and the game is probably over after the first...

Agreed, I hate seeing guys like this every year not in the tourny. Biggest thing was goaltending. Allen was not very good, and I hope the position is better next year

NoLocus*

Canada didn't deserve gold this year, we were lucky to tie it up.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Schenn and DeHaan have to be candidates to play next year in the NHL as well. DeHaan was a very late cut.

Cowen was so bad this year unless it really is the knee injury that's holding him back he might not make the team next year. It's conceivable Ryan Ellis could be the only returning player in Buffalo. It looks like it will be Canada's weakest team in years, we need guys like Seguin to be sent back to juniors. And we need a goalie.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
We missed Hodgson, but goal scoring wasn't the issue. We put up at least five goals in every game. Even if you subtract the 16-goal game against Jr. B Latvia, Canada had 30 goals in five games. Remember when we had about 20 goals for the whole tournament in 2007 and 2008?

Do we win gold if we have Hodgson? Maybe. We obviously missed Cody's skill, leadership and smarts. But we needed more speed against the Americans.

Our defence was lacking, and that's not a surprise. 1990 is a strong year for Canadian-born defencemen, but we were without four strong 90-born defencemen. Myers and Del Zotto are in The Show. I don't know if we win if we have Myers, but he's the guy we missed more than anyone else this year. Hamonic went down late in the semi. Patrick Wiercioch - who might not have made this team - was sent home early in camp due to injury.

I knew before the tournament that defence could be an issue. It was great to get Pieterangelo back, but there were depth issues.

It used to be that we lost forwards to the show. We almost always had the defence we wanted. And in years like 2006 and 2007, our blue line carried us. But now we're seeing our best defencemen staying in the NHL when they still have junior eligibility.

I don't know if it changes anything. But there were several times during the games against the U.S. in which I said "Damn, I wish we had Tyler Myers."

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Cowen was so bad this year unless it really is the knee injury that's holding him back he might not make the team next year. It's conceivable Ryan Ellis could be the only returning player in Buffalo. It looks like it will be Canada's weakest team in years, we need guys like Seguin to be sent back to juniors. And we need a goalie.

I wouldnt call it weak next year. The CHL's top scorer Skinner should be there. Mcfarland, Gormely will be there. Leblanc, Eakin, Kassian and Glennie should be back to lead.

That being said, a Gold next year will be tough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad