WJC: Do you think Canada would have won gold if....

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I think Hall played once or twice on a different line. The vast majority of camp was on the same line though.

Dont get me wrong, Seguin is top notch, he just wasnt when he needed to be.

And thats a problem right there...they needed to see more of what he and his linemates could do without each other. They already know what they can do together in Windsor...just not smart decisions by the coach.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
And thats a problem right there...they needed to see more of what he and his linemates could do without each other. They already know what they can do together in Windsor...just not smart decisions by the coach.

You could very well have a valid point.

Snauen*

EXCUSES ARE FOR LOSERS, as the Canadians use say. Canada met one of the five most talented teams (SWE,CZE,FIN, RUS, US). This Canadian team should be ranked somewhere between 3-6 as the Semi between US and SWE was the 'real' Final.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
EXCUSES ARE FOR LOSERS, as the Canadians use say. Canada met one of the five most talented teams (SWE,CZE,FIN, RUS, US). This Canadian team should be ranked somewhere between 3-6 as the Semi between US and SWE was the 'real' Final.

Sweden were actually better in the semi against USA, despite being on the pk half the game, and then destroyed the Swiss in the Bronze-game, so I'm gonna go ahead and declare Sweden the unofficial WJC-champions of 2009-2010:yo::D

Btw, Henrik Sedin now leads the NHL in points, it's weird.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton

Obviously, why would you make an excuse for winning?

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Maybe the worst Canada junior team i've ever watched. (at least for 7-8 years).

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Obviously, why would you make an excuse for winning?

:)

Maybe Hodgson or Seguin would have been enough to push them over the top (it was OT in the gold medal game), but the quality of the defense and goaltending really sunk the team, and I don't see who would have been better.

Overall, a weak team Canada compared to the recent past.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden

LOL. It didn't sound that way before the final. Maybe not from you, but i'm lumping you together with other Canadian fans.

Like you guys do to us swedes. not fair is it.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX

I have to agree, I thought in the 3 times I watched them their talent level just wasn't as good as the US's.

The only two stand-outs were Eberle and Pietrangelo.

Hall, Kadri none of the rest of those guys really scared me all that much.

robbyrock*

I thought Kane was an american player? Unless your talking about Evander.I counted 3 or 4 posts that said if we had Kane...just want to know.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Any excuse cheapens the US win. They were money and deserved it. Nobody can say for sure that Hodgson or Sequin or whoever would have made the difference. They may have disrupted the chemistry or been prone to turnovers that ended up as goals against.

Each Olympics (the recent ones) Canada sends the best collection of talent but only has one medal to show for it. This is because other teams have played better, whether goaltending or defence or timely goals. We may have the best overall talent and depth, but things are too close to assume we can dominate the other handful of teams with considerable high-end talent.

So I say that the US deserves the win and would have won with Seguin or Hodgson or Gretzky in the lineup.

GeneralSwell

Oct 3, 2008
Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, Kane, etc. It's a damn impressive list, and while it would have made us a much stronger team, there's no guarantee that we would have won.

I really feel that the reason we lost was coaching. I wasn't impressed with him right from the start. And then watching both goalies struggle, and then watching only the American coach have the balls to make a change cemented it for me.

But congrats to the US. Loved the effort. Damn fast team you guys had.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Who cares about Canada? Sweden would have won if the defenders wouldn't have been so extremely sloppy, and the 1st line had been more consistent. :sarcasm:

Anyway, we'll win it next year. MPS, Lander, OEL, Adam Larsson.
:handclap:

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Nope.

Plain and simple Canadians D is slow and a few of their top go to guys are overrated.

Kadri and Schenn are overrated. These guys have limited hockey sense. Many times their efforts with the puck would leave you wondering why they made such bone headed decisions.

Jared Cowen - overrated, poor decisions and slow
Calvin de Haan - slow
Ryan Ellis - predators got Andy Delmore version 2
Alex Pietrangelo - one guy that unimpressed me big time. Looks to be drafted too high. Slow.
Marco Scandella - slow
Colten Teubert - similar to Pietrangelo above

At the end of the day Canadian D could not keep up at times.

WJC went with some bigger names instead of smarter choices.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Coaching and team leadership seemed like an issue with the Canadian team this year. This team played like the American team last year, a bunch of individuals. U.S. came together great as a team and that is what won them the tournament.

Also **** Jake Allen.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
One thing Canada won't do again is pick a full line from a team just based off their dominance in whatever league they are in. Neimz and whoever that other guy is from the Hall line were total non-factors the whole tournament. (foreshadowing the Sharks line for the olympics? i hope not:( )
Would of liked to have seen Seguin play this year but oh well.

Last edited:

Mr Lahey*

While Canadian fans should be dissapointed like I am, we need to remember that we've won 5 and if we kept winning all of them the tournament would have become less exciting. Just imagine next year when we come into Buffalo...it is going to be INSANE!

Hopefully this time around we get some of our talent to stay out of the pros a bit longer so we can enjoy seeing them play in the Juniors.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Nope.

Plain and simple Canadians D is slow and a few of their top go to guys are overrated.

Kadri and Schenn are overrated. These guys have limited hockey sense. Many times their efforts with the puck would leave you wondering why they made such bone headed decisions.

Jared Cowen - overrated, poor decisions and slow
Calvin de Haan - slow
Ryan Ellis - predators got Andy Delmore version 2
Alex Pietrangelo - one guy that unimpressed me big time. Looks to be drafted too high. Slow.
Marco Scandella - slow
Colten Teubert - similar to Pietrangelo above

At the end of the day Canadian D could not keep up at times.

WJC went with some bigger names instead of smarter choices.

This is a great post. :sarcasm:

Mr Lahey*

It's kind of hard to knock the Canadian D when you consider that most of those players are playing 4-5 spots above where they would slot on a Canadian Junior team that didn't send players to the pros while they were still junior eligible.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Nah. Real Paiment was the worst:laugh:

With Hodgson/Seguin, at least you know they can probably hit a one timer unlike strikeout Kadri:laugh:

Grabovski

Aug 12, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm not going to say that we would of won for sure but we would of put up more a fight to US than we did. And I think Cormier shouldn't of been captain and that Jordan Eberle should of been. Plus I think Tyler Seguin should of been on the team instead of Greg Nemisz and adam Henrique which they both only scored 1 goal throughout the whole tournament.

Anyways congratz USA and I will be at the next WJC in Buffalo since its only about 45 mins away from where I live. I still say we have home ice next year too due to all the Canadians going down to support them in Buffalo.

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
This will all be forgotten when we (Canada) blow it in Vancouver, that one is going to sting worse. I should say if we blow it in Vancouver, but I really think the pressure is going to be too much.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Do you think Canada would have won gold if.....

.... the Canadian coach had the guts that the American coach had to take a shaky goalie out after the third goal?

I would have pulled the plug after the second goal, short side shelf...
the book was out on him, never had confidence after that and usa was full of it...

Another omission we forget is Travis Hamonic, who was the best d all tourney(defensively), missed because of that swiss ***** who never payed a cent for his hit from behind....
International hockey is a joke when it comes to refs too.....10 mins for pietrangelos "hit from behind" when guy turned, give him 2 for the cross check, but come on......
Take nothing from usa, they played a good game...but we all know what would have happend if we had our whole team...lol

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I'm not going to say that we would of won for sure but we would of put up more a fight to US than we did. And I think Cormier shouldn't of been captain and that Jordan Eberle should of been. Plus I think Tyler Seguin should of been on the team instead of Greg Nemisz and adam Henrique which they both only scored 1 goal throughout the whole tournament.
Anyways congratz USA and I will be at the next WJC in Buffalo since its only about 45 mins away from where I live. I still say we have home ice next year too due to all the Canadians going down to support them in Buffalo.

Completely agree. Those two right now are reminding me of the rest of Crosbys line when he played with Rimouski, and the rest or Perrys line when he played in London. Anyone remember them? No...thats cause they carried those lines, just as Hall is doing in Windsor. Asked my buddy who played with Crosby then(hes a huge Pens/Crosby fan) and had to sit there and think about it for a second. Seguin would have been a better choice. Too bad he had a bad camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad