Do you really want to Habs to make the playoffs?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
this is not the draft year you want to tank on. Sam Reihart is considered to be the top pick style similar to a young Ryan Smyth. He's a very good two-way player with leadership but I don't think he's superstar. This draft is equivalent to the 1994 NHL Entry Draft.

With that said, if you wanna tank, do it next season when 2015 draft. Its expected that the top 5 centers have the potential to be franchise players. Connor McDavid, Aleksi Saarela, Matthew Barzal, Jack Eichel, Travis Konecny.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Absolutely. The unwanted players will eventually fall off like scabs, to be replaced by new tissue. In the meantime I want to see the Habs get into the habit of winning playoff games.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Think about it, do you really want the Habs to make the playoffs? I don't and here is why:

- We are not an elite team (yet)
- We will have a hard time getting through Boston and Detroit in the eastern playoffs
- We would probably lose in the first or second round and get another mid to late first round pick

I would rather see...

- Montreal get a top 12 pick and draft a Dal Colle, Ritchie or Perlini
- Flip Markov, Gionta, Moen, Bouillon, Murray and Diaz for draft picks
- Continue to build around our core and draft more McCarron's, Fucale's, Collberg's and De La Rose's next year and beyond

Discuss!

Edmonton says hello.

This fanbase is becoming one of the worst in the NHL.

Why even play the game then?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Edmonton says hello.

This fanbase is becoming one of the worst in the NHL.

Why even play the game then?
IMO it made sense to tank in 2009, 2012, and 2013 might have worked.

Now? We have too many good young players, we have to move forward and not backward. As far as I know the 2014 draft class is not even that good.

Our roster is close to that of a genuine contender. Tanking is not goint to increase the IQ of either Bergevin or Therrien. We will not win with these clowns.

King Niinimaa*

So the young core that kept tanking, until we had enough franchise-caliber players, would suddenly turn into Stanley Cup contenders?

I'd rather take the hard way and try to become a little bit better every year. If habs need perennial top-10 picks to become a winner, guess Timmins isn't that great after all.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So the young core that kept tanking, until we had enough franchise-caliber players, would suddenly turn into Stanley Cup contenders?

I'd rather take the hard way and try to become a little bit better every year. If habs need perennial top-10 picks to become a winner, guess Timmins isn't that great after all.

Timmins would only be able to build a winner by himself if Bergevin was mediocre.

King Niinimaa*

Everyone knows Montréal staff isn't allowed to light a cigarette when Bergevin is around. In case his brainfarts catch a fire.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Detroit have an old core and they must go for the Stanley cup every year like Vancouver with the Sedins. Also, Detroit with their winning past attract many good UFA like Alfredsson and Weiss.

The Habs have not the same reputation and can't attract the best UFA. Also the core of the team is much younger. The Habs are not in a must win now mode. The Habs have no reason to lose good assets for nothing.

so in essence, Habs GMs (past and present) are stupid for not getting assets back... but there's an excuse for every single GM not named MB to act the exact same way...

really... :help:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Making the playoffs and experiencing that level of play is better for development of young players than the Oilers' "tank until you're ready" m.o. Making the playoffs is better than not on sooo many more levels than just that, though.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
so in essence, Habs GMs (past and present) are stupid for not getting assets back... but there's an excuse for every single GM not named MB to act the exact same way...

really... :help:

The Habs have poor GM in the last 15-20 years, it's not my fault. I thought that every reply i made were good. A Stanley cup contender can lose players for nothing because they aim the Stanley Cup. Also, the players that they lose are usally not part of the core but complimentary pieces like Igilna or Jagr.

The Habs is building with the draft, the more picks, the better. No big UFA will sign with the team as long as they are not Stanley Cup contenders.

If you not intend to re-sign a player why keeping him if you have absolutely no realistic shot to win the Stanley cup ?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The Habs have poor GM in the last 15-20 years, it's not my fault. I thought that every reply i made were good. A Stanley cup contender can lose players for nothing because they aim the Stanley Cup. Also, the players that they lose are usally not part of the core but complimentary pieces like Igilna or Jagr.

The Habs is building with the draft, the more picks, the better. No big UFA will sign with the team as long as they are not Stanley Cup contenders.

If you not intend to re-sign a player why keeping him if you have absolutely no realistic shot to win the Stanley cup ?

Detroit and Filipula beg to differ... but yeah, you already have an excuse ready for them too...

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Think about it, do you really want the Habs to make the playoffs? I don't and here is why:

- We are not an elite team (yet)
- We will have a hard time getting through Boston and Detroit in the eastern playoffs
- We would probably lose in the first or second round and get another mid to late first round pick

I would rather see...

- Montreal get a top 12 pick and draft a Dal Colle, Ritchie or Perlini
- Flip Markov, Gionta, Moen, Bouillon, Murray and Diaz for draft picks
- Continue to build around our core and draft more McCarron's, Fucale's, Collberg's and De La Rose's next year and beyond

Discuss!

I think as you do here. I'm not interested in just squeaking by and get eliminated in round. I'm not even sure this team will make the playoffs, but even if we do, this team is not built for the playoffs. We lack what is needed to play tough grueling games: a strong defense, consistent goaltending, and big tough forwards.

As you can tell, I'm not happy with the team chemistry and I hope someday it will change.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
I'm against tanking in general, but I'd probably find it less painful for the team to tank this year than most.

We're not a contender, and we have key assets on the team that'll be retired and/or shells of their former selves by the time we are contenders (thinking optimistically).

Gionta and Markov (and maybe even Briere) could fetch some nice returns at the trade deadline. And I don't see where we'll have the cap space to bring both back, and I doubt that either will be truly impact players by the time that our young guys turn us into a contender.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I'm against tanking in general, but I'd probably find it less painful for the team to tank this year than most.

We're not a contender, and we have key assets on the team that'll be retired and/or shells of their former selves by the time we are contenders (thinking optimistically).

Gionta and Markov (and maybe even Briere) could fetch some nice returns at the trade deadline. And I don't see where we'll have the cap space to bring both back, and I doubt that either will be truly impact players by the time that our young guys turn us into a contender.

people just dont seem to understand what a no movement clause is

the guy is HERE for the next TWO YEARS and thats IT, only way hes gone is if he's bought out and that aint gonna happen

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Yes because at the end of the day you never know come playoff time. Also unlike 2 years ago, this team isn't bad enough to get another top 5 pick. So yes I'd prefer the playoffs over pick # 13 or 14 even if it means 1st round exit

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
If we go tanking mode and start a fire sale then we're in for 3 years of sucking.

Who's going to play in the top 6? Who's going to replace Markov?

We don't have many prospects with high end potential.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
If we go tanking mode and start a fire sale then we're in for 3 years of sucking.

Who's going to play in the top 6? Who's going to replace Markov?

We don't have many prospects with high end potential.

With Brière and Desharnais in this team, the Habs have no chance to win the Stanley cup in the next 2 years unless Galchenyuk, Eller, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Price, Emelin, Beaulieu and Tinordi all play to their ultimate potential. I can't see that happening.

The Stanley cup window for the Habs doesn't open before 3 or 4 years when Galchenyuk will be a 50 + points Producer.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Im indifferent,

if we make it, yay, always love a chance for a miracle run

if we dont, yay, draft pick

I have realized tho, that i love to watch playoff hockey regardless of if the habs are in them or not, in fact, if theres one thing i hate the most in the WORLD , is watching the habs in a playoff overtime, ****ing uselessly stressful, but THEN theres nothing i enjoy more in the world than watching a hockey playoff overtime game without the habs in it

i always wonder, ..could I, could WE, handle a stanley cup finals LOSS? lol and we all laughed at vancouver..........

see the Canadiens last stanley cup winning run in 1993, we couldn't lose an overtime game if we tried, set a record to.;)

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Yeah, I want my team to fail so we get a better chance at getting one more good player in a few years!

Seriously tho, any playoff experience would be tremendous for our young guns. And I don't care if we don't win the cup, I love playoff hockey.

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
NO I want them to miss the playoff to draft the best prospect possible. I love watching the playoff but not the Habs I already know they cant go far anyway, its written in the sky.

Why ? Cause they suck and they cant win in the playoff with this mediocre club. Who seriously think the Habs stand a chance rofl ? The ''everything can happen'' cliche wont work guys that team is too small, we need a strict minimum.

And people... will you **** with Edmonton... they got solid prospects still no matter what you say, having good young players is one thing, the GM have to build the club the right way also. Look at teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago.. uuhh it worked for them ! EDM are just not there yet...they will...with the proper mix of vet and young players/better defence and goaltending.

Thank god we got Galchenyuk... its a miracle. If Geoff Molson and his associates were a bit smart they would accept to lose money missing the playoff for 2-3 years and come back stronger...they cant go far anyway...so what's the point ? I dont care about this team making the playoff Im not believing in this midgets club anyway everybody know they wont win... so why cheer like a dumbazz for something everybody know it wont work anyway, they're not strong enough to win 2 rounds....

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
This forum is a joke sometimes. We got galchenyuk, enough with this tank ****. IF we lose and get a top pick, fine but are we looking to become the successful oilers? Let it go.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
NO I want them to miss the playoff to draft the best prospect possible. I love watching the playoff but not the Habs I already know they cant go far anyway, its written in the sky.

Why ? Cause they suck and they cant win in the playoff with this mediocre club. Who seriously think the Habs stand a chance rofl ? The ''everything can happen'' cliche wont work guys that team is too small, we need a strict minimum.

And people... will you **** with Edmonton... they got solid prospects still no matter what you say, having good young players is one thing, the GM have to build the club the right way also. Look at teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago.. uuhh it worked for them ! EDM are just not there yet...they will...with the proper mix of vet and young players/better defence and goaltending.

Thank god we got Galchenyuk... its a miracle. If Geoff Molson and his associates were a bit smart they would accept to lose money missing the playoff for 2-3 years and come back stronger...they cant go far anyway...so what's the point ? I dont care about this team making the playoff Im not believing in this midgets club anyway everybody know they wont win... so why cheer like a dumbazz for something everybody know it wont work anyway, they're not strong enough to win 2 rounds....

As Brian Burke said "Pittsburgh won a lottery to get the best player in the game". For example, Hall=/=Crosby and that's why the model sucks in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad