Do you really want to Habs to make the playoffs?

dreamingofdrouin*

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Think about it, do you really want the Habs to make the playoffs? I don't and here is why:

- We are not an elite team (yet)
- We will have a hard time getting through Boston and Detroit in the eastern playoffs
- We would probably lose in the first or second round and get another mid to late first round pick

I would rather see...

- Montreal get a top 12 pick and draft a Dal Colle, Ritchie or Perlini
- Flip Markov, Gionta, Moen, Bouillon, Murray and Diaz for draft picks
- Continue to build around our core and draft more McCarron's, Fucale's, Collberg's and De La Rose's next year and beyond

Discuss!

yes........:biglaugh:

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Good lord... the team is 1 game above .500 and just finished the toughest part of our schedule (playing against the West). We're 3-1 vs the East so our record will likely improve and no other East team has played vs the West as often as we did.

We had good pieces without tanking... Subban, Pacioretty, Eller, Gallagher, Markov (drafted a while ago I know:laugh:), Plekanec.

I am glad we got Galchenyuk but wtf is wrong with you people and this losing mentality.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Yes let's go the Edmonton route it is highly successful.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Since we got galchenyuk i've had my share of tanking, i think we can start playing hockey now. Gallagher, Price, Subban, Tinordi, Eller, Emelin, Bournival, Beaulieu, Patch and Galchenyuk is a good young core as any to build a contender.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
If you checked the other side of that coin you'll see Pittsburg and Chicago ;) For the record though, I wanna see the HABS playing playoff hockey, but if you gonna finish 10th...why not finish 15th

Pittsburgh and Chicago weren't intentionally bad. They got over the hump by overpaying vets too, not by entirely building through the draft and trading everyone over 30. There is no cup in Chicago/Pittsburgh without Campbell, Hossa, Scuderi, Gill, Guerin, Gonchar, etc. Getting Versteeg and Sharp for practically free also immensely helped Chicago. Our Amateur scouts managed to do a similar thing with getting Bournival for absolutely nothing. Let's hope Holland becomes a player too.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think we need to start scheduling our daily "Should We Tank?" threads, the same way we schedule GDTs.

And then we need a walk-in Psychotherapy Clinic. Geez, you guys need some fun in your lives...

LongIslandHabFan

Oct 18, 2013
I think making the playoffs should still be the goal for this team for this season. The young core we have is good and reinforcements are still on the way. The players who are on the team need to have a winning mentality as they take on growing roles for the seasons to come.

As far as deadline trading goes though I'm not against getting young assets/picks in minor deals but Gio and Markov are not the right guys to move unless things go absolutely terribly from here on out.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
waaaaaaaaay to early in the season to be having this conversation, the snow hasn't even flown yet and we are talking about packing it in? at least wait until the all-star game. jeeeesh

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
We may miss the playoffs, but we won't be tanking for a top-3 pick. There are some terrible teams out there. Even if we miss the playoffs, it won't be much.

Does a #12 pick instead of a #18 pick really justify missing the playoffs?

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Of course I want my team to make the playoffs. What a silly question. Draft picks are so overrated on these boards, it's not even funny.

terreur

Jan 27, 2006
Montreal
Yeah! I hope we miss the playoff. I also can't believe Bergevin still hasn't traded Galchenyuk and Subban. They are getting old and are slowly losing value... If we trade them now for a couple good picks we could have a good team for so many years!
:sarcasm:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
If we can get a filip Forsberg for a martin erat or a McDo for a Gomez, go for it but this is not a tanking team.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
I would rather make the playoffs then pick mid first round, that has yielded us **** **** all, if you're going to lose you gotta get a top 3 pick like we did in galchenyuk

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I completely agree with you, we have a chance to build a perennial contender I'm willing to lose 1-2 years of playoff hockey for that

I take it you're not a season-ticket holder?

I'm sure those who are, would very much welcome the idea of watching a team that would be intentionally primed to miss the playoffs. :sarcasm:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
is this real life...

last year, even though we got spanked, was a great experience for the team.

Of course I want to make the playoffs.:shakehead

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Um.... Yes?

Draft is..... you might get a good player or a bad player no matter where you pick.

Make the playoffs and have a chance at the Cup? Yea, ill take it.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
I always want to make the playoffs.

However, I would hope that even if we make the playoffs that management realizes that we cannot win they way we are currently constructed. There needs to be some changes made, especially with the defense.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Making the playoffs, is the best way to allow younger players to grow. It allows them to be part of something that is unlike anything else. NHL playoffs> every other major sport that has playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->