Do you really want to Habs to make the playoffs?

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
people just dont seem to understand what a no movement clause is

I understand that players waive it all the time. Especially players who are playing for poor teams when they want to play for Cup contenders.

I'm not desperate to get rid of Briere. Yeah, it's only two years, much less significant than DD's contract. But Briere, unlike DD, has a great playoff record. For that reason alone, I could see a team take a chance on him.

But yeah, if Briere refuses to waive, then we're stuck with him. That's why I said maybe even Briere.

The idea of wanting your team to miss the playoffs just to move up a few spots in the draft is indeed very pathetic and sad. But that's honestly not the main issue here, in my view. The main issue is not letting good veteran assets go for nothing, considering what they could net in trade. And let's face it - The Habs aren't going to be sellers unless they're forced into it.

Cinderella runs do happen in the NHL, but they happen with only certain types of teams - Loads of good character guys that can grind it out, some clutch scorers, a really hot goalie. We don't really have the potential for any of that, except "really hot goalie".

PunkinDrublic*

Montreal Canadiens fans during losing streaks are so bipolar !

Please stand away from the ledge.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I really want to Habs to make the playoffs.

Well gentlemen, and ladies if any, after reading 40 posts, this is the new paradigm: We want Habs to make Playoffs.

I do also, but should we be hoping for more than that?

That is the question. :)

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Um.... Yes?

Draft is..... you might get a good player or a bad player no matter where you pick.

Make the playoffs and have a chance at the Cup? Yea, ill take it.

Let's all be clear: It is a myth that you have a chance at the cup finishing 8th, LA being a huge exception.

Playoff experience is very good, but please drop the 'everyone has a chance if they get in' argument.

WIKI: On June 11, 2012, the Kings beat the New Jersey Devils 6–1 in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals to win the franchise's first-ever Stanley Cup, becoming the first ever 8th seeded team in either NHL or NBA history to win a championship.[6]

Now carry on.

PunkinDrublic*

BSL. And if the Habs were 12-5 you would be planning the parade.

Give it a rest.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Let's all be clear: It is a myth that you have a chance at the cup finishing 8th, LA being a huge exception.

Playoff experience is very good, but please drop the 'everyone has a chance if they get in' argument.

WIKI: On June 11, 2012, the Kings beat the New Jersey Devils 6–1 in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals to win the franchise's first-ever Stanley Cup, becoming the first ever 8th seeded team in either NHL or NBA history to win a championship.[6]

Now carry on.

making it to the SCF while being a lower seed is more "common" lately. Winning it is different though, not common at all... but I think that at that points we'd take "losing in 7 in the SCF" over an early exit or a 22th position ;)

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Im indifferent,

if we make it, yay, always love a chance for a miracle run

if we dont, yay, draft pick

I have realized tho, that i love to watch playoff hockey regardless of if the habs are in them or not, in fact, if theres one thing i hate the most in the WORLD , is watching the habs in a playoff overtime, ****ing uselessly stressful, but THEN theres nothing i enjoy more in the world than watching a hockey playoff overtime game without the habs in it

i always wonder, ..could I, could WE, handle a stanley cup finals LOSS? lol and we all laughed at vancouver..........

Born in 63. I have seen one finals loss in my life, to Calgary. It was brutal. Painful.

Habs NEVER used to lose in the finals, but yes, we should be prepared for that.

A finals loss usually means the team can win it all the next year, if they are young.

I feel for Flyers fans though. Go to finals a lot, and then suck the next year. Awful

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Born in 63. I have seen one finals loss in my life, to Calgary. It was brutal. Painful.

Habs NEVER used to lose in the finals, but yes, we should be prepared for that.

A finals loss usually means the team can win it all the next year, if they are young.

I feel for Flyers fans though. Go to finals a lot, and then suck the next year. Awful
Born in 62, yes 89 was brutal, losing in the finals that year was tough...back in the day, we took alot for granted...making the finals and winning the Cup was what was expected...then, everyone realized they wanted to become Sam Pollock...

As for this year, and every year, I always want us to make the playoffs...there is no way you can do a tank and rebuild over a 4-5 year period the way the Pens/Hawks did...

I feel for the Oilers fans more than the flyer fans, the Oil should be a stacked great team based on tanking and draft picks, and look at what's happening out there...brutal...:shakehead

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
We are too good to tank. As I predicted a while back, our tanking window has closed.

I agreed with you at the time, and I agree with you now. Tanking is no longer an option with this young core.

The howling ****ing **** you got for suggesting a one year tank, which happened anyway. :shakehead

I am hugely impressed that you moved on and have adjusted your outlook. You said you would and you did.

I have also moved on from Tank. It is not an option now.

Well done. Intellectually clear and consistent.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I agreed with you at the time, and I agree with you now. Tanking is no longer an option with this young core.

The howling ****ing **** you got for suggesting a one year tank, which happened anyway. :shakehead

I am hugely impressed that you moved on and have adjusted your outlook. You said you would and you did.

I have also moved on from Tank. It is not an option now.

Well done. Intellectually clear and consistent.

while what happened isnt really what DAC was suggesting, still true that we have to give him credit, others should do the same and move on (instead of posting **** "offers" in the proposal thread :laugh: ).

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
No UFA should ever walk for nothing unless he us marginal or a deadline pickup.

Can you ****ing imagine what we could have got for Souray that year at the deadline? I vomit. I was ranting on this board for two months about, and we kept him anyway. Nightmare.:shakehead

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
I feel for the Oilers fans more than the flyer fans, the Oil should be a stacked great team based on tanking and draft picks, and look at what's happening out there...brutal...:shakehead

We should never compare the Oilers tanking an a hypothetical tanking by the Habs. The Habs have a way better scouting department and can find great players in late rounds like: Markov, Gallagher, Halak, Streit, S Kostitsyn, etc.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Can you ****ing imagine what we could have got for Souray that year at the deadline? I vomit. I was ranting on this board for two months about, and we kept him anyway. Nightmare.:shakehead

we had a serious chance at making the P.O., trading him would have beed stupid.

you don't tell youf fans "hey, we have a chance to, but despite having only a dozen of games to play, we're giving up"

oh ! and "thanks for spending hundreds of $ for gear/tickets/etc by the way".

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012

you don't tell youf fans "hey, we have a chance to, but despite having only a dozen of games to play, we're giving up"

Nobody should care about the playoff if you are not a Stanley cup contender and nobody should have the playoffs for ultimate goal. Every GM should only care about the Stanley cup and take the fastest way to win it.

That year, Souray should have been trade for a similar package than we got for Rivet and probably better.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

So. If we are in 9th, and playing crap at the deadline, you suggest we do not try to trade Gio, and at least see what we can get for Markov? Is that what you are saying? Yes or no? Watch out, this is a trap.:)

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Nobody should care about the playoff if you are not a Stanley cup contender and nobody should have the playoffs for ultimate goal. Every GM should only care about the Stanley cup and take the fastest way to win it.

That year, Souray should have been trade for a similar package than we got for Rivet and probably better.

You are joking. Souray would have gotten us way more than Rivet. Pax and Gorges were flukes. We were lucky, and Timmins hit a home run.

Souray would have gotten us gold.

LouisJCloutier

Aug 4, 2006
Gaspésie
We should have been really rebuilding last year and this year. That means trading the deadwood or player that won't be part of the future (Gionta, Bourque, Markov, etc) and drafting in the top 10.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I want the Habs to hire a competent coach and GM. So frustrating to watch the two idiots follow in the legacy of Gainey, Gauthier and Houle. Hell, at least they can speak French

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->