Do you really want to Habs to make the playoffs?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Unless there is another Mario Lemieux and the Habs have the 1st OV pick, I want this year's team to kick butt in the playoffs. I'll be quite satisfied with the 30th OV pick and with Bergevin's picks taking our team into the future.:handclap:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
What a ridiculous question, anything can happen in the playoffs so of course I want Montreal to make it.

Did you not want to make it in 2010 because we would get crushed by Washington?

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
What a ridiculous question, anything can happen in the playoffs so of course I want Montreal to make it.

Did you not want to make it in 2010 because we would get crushed by Washington?

That year, the Habs were still 7 wins away from the Stanley Cup which is pretty far from the big trophy.

Pretty much all the Stanley cup are being won by a team that was either a Stanley cup contender at the start of the season or at the trade deadline.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
What kind of question is this? Is drafting 4-5 spots earlier going to get us a drastically better player?

Anyone wishing for us to tank with the team we currently ice is out of his mind and should question whether he prefers draft picks' hype or winning actual hockey games. I don't want to take the Oilers' route.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That year, the Habs were still 7 wins away from the Stanley Cup which is pretty far from the big trophy.

Pretty much all the Stanley cup are being won by a team that was either a Stanley cup contender at the start of the season or at the trade deadline.

you can blame Mike Richards for that, he took out Krejci and ruined the potential MTL Boston eastern conference finals which the habs could have easily won.

Lionel Mandrake

The more you win, or push in that direction, the better it is for player developement. Otherwise you just become the Edmonton Oilers. It's not just about stockpiling quality assets. Failing to make the playoffs should not even be an option for this team.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

so, you hated the PO that year I guess...

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
The more you win, or push in that direction, the better it is for player developement. Otherwise you just become the Edmonton Oilers. It's not just about stockpiling quality assets. Failing to make the playoffs should not even be an option for this team.

Almost no one talk about tanking like the Oilers. We want a re-tool like San Jose did last year with Murray and Clowe. San Jose re-tool and also made the playoff.

The Habs could do the same thing with Gionta and Diaz and still made the playoff with Young guys like Leblanc and Beaulieu taking their spots.

The key is to not lose good players for nothing unless you aim the Stanley cup with a really good team. The Habs are not in that position yet.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
so, you hated the PO that year I guess...

No but, we still gave away two 2nd round draft pick that year for Wiz and Moore and retain none of them at the end of the season. It's bad assets management. You should never give assets away to secure a playoff spot. You should only do it when you are a Stanley cup contender.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
No but, we still gave away two 2nd round draft pick that year for Wiz and Moore and retain none of them at the end of the season. It's bad assets management. You should never give assets away to secure a playoff spot. You should only do it when you are a Stanley cup contender.

every single NHL GM do it at some point in their career, and pretty often too...

the "never give asset away" is a nice theory, but that's all it is, a theory.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
every single NHL GM do it at some point in their career, and pretty often too...

It's easy for a 14 year old fan playing NHL 13 on his video game, but when you're the GM and your job is to win games and make the playoffs it's a completely different ballgame.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012

I can accept it, but why not re-sign Moore ? The same thing with Tanguay why gaving away a 1rst round pick if you are not willing re-sign him long-term ?

It's just bad assets management.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I can accept it, but why not re-sign Moore ? The same thing with Tanguay why gaving away a 1rst round pick if you are not willing re-sign him long-term ?

It's just bad assets management.

Wisniewski did so well with us that his UFA price went up. He was worth a second rounder as were a dark horse Stanley cup contender that year, he did make us a much better team.

To be honest, I would rather have Wiz at 6.5 million a year than dedharnais+briere.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
guess every NHL GM is a bad GM then.

I don't think that many GM give away 1st and 2nd round pick when they are not Stanley Cup contender, and when they do most of the time i think they try to re-sign the player.

Pominville re-sign in Minnesota, Bowmester and Lepold in St-Louis and Regehr with LA.

A Tanguay-like move is probably unheard of outside of the Habs.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't think that many GM give away 1st and 2nd round pick when they are not Stanley Cup contender, and when they do most of the time i think they try to re-sign the player.

Pominville re-sign in Minnesota, Bowmester and Lepold in St-Louis and Regehr with LA.

A Tanguay-like move is probably unheard of outside of the Habs.
Iginla let go from PIT, Jagr let go from BOS, Clowe let go from NYR...

and the Wild didnt try to get assets back for Bouchard, LAK didnt get assets back for Scuderi...

see, when you use your good assets management theory, every GM is bad...

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Meh, it's like wishing to be stuck in a hole for 7 days so that you can lose the extra 10 pounds you've been carrying.

If it happens because of bad coaching or underachieving players, so be it. Our higher draft pick will be a consolation. But I sure won't root for it.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Iginla let go from PIT, Jagr let go from BOS, Clowe let go from NYR...

and the Wild didnt try to get assets back for Bouchard, LAK didnt get assets back for Scuderi...

see, when you use your good assets management theory, every GM is bad...

Boston. Pittsburgh and LAK are all Stanley cup contenders who all win a Stanley cup in the last 7 years. When the Habs will be in that position i would be fine with that.

Until, then the Habs have no reason to lose good players for nothing.

The Rangers try to re-sign Clowe but he simply ask way to much. Bouchard was no longer the player he used to be after all his injuries.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Boston. Pittsburgh and LAK are all Stanley cup contenders who all win a Stanley cup in the last 7 years. When the Habs will be in that position i would be fine with that.

Until, then the Habs have no reason to lose good players for nothing.

The Rangers try to re-sign Clowe but he simply ask way to much.

you go a few years back and you realize all those teams were bad at assets management (based on your standards) before they were contenders...

bad NHL GMs...

and Detroit must have the worst GM in the league, not getting assets back for Filipula and Brunner... :naughty:

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
Habs drafted mid pack for most of the 2000s, while we did get some decent players for our core, many were ok at best. This year is a weak draft and outside perhaps the top 10, players drafted 11th or 25th as probably have the same potential and chance to make it to the NHL.

I guess what im trying to say is that outside a top 5 pick, you're not getting an elite talent, so Id rather the Habs try and make the playoffs than stink for a possible 14th pick overall. Might as well go for it. Gives experience to the kids,and nothing beats playoff hockey. My speech was different in the last months of the 11-12 season because I knew we had a shot at a top 5 picks, so when you're out of the playoff race, sink as much as you can.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Tank for two years. Draft Ekblad and McDavid. Not even counting the BIG prospects we could draft in early 2nd rounds and overall drafts.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Lehkonen - McDavid - McCarron
Bournival - Eller - Collberg
Crisp - De La Rose - Fournier

Tinordi - Subban
Emelin - Ekblad
Pateryn - Beaulieu

Price
Fucale​

This lineup simply looks... beautiful...

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
you go a few years back and you realize all those teams were bad at assets management (based on your standards) before they were contenders...

bad NHL GMs...

and Detroit must have the worst GM in the league, not getting assets back for Filipula and Brunner... :naughty:

Detroit have an old core and they must go for the Stanley cup every year like Vancouver with the Sedins. Also, Detroit with their winning past attract many good UFA like Alfredsson and Weiss.

The Habs have not the same reputation and can't attract the best UFA. Also the core of the team is much younger. The Habs are not in a must win now mode. The Habs have no reason to lose good assets for nothing.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Tank for two years. Draft Ekblad and McDavid. Not even counting the BIG prospects we could draft in early 2nd rounds and overall drafts.

Lehkonen - McDavid - McCarron
Bournival - Eller - Collberg
Crisp - De La Rose - Fournier

Tinordi - Subban
Emelin - Ekblad
Pateryn - Beaulieu

Price
Fucale​

For us to be that bad, players like Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, etc. would have to suck badly or be constantly injured which would make that line-up a lot worse.

Does no one remember how much they hated the 11-12 season? Even though we got Galchenyuk it's not something I want to experience again anytime soon.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
If we can make the playoffs without trading away picks/prospects at the deadline, while gaining picks/prospects for vets we do not plan on re-signing in the offseason, than yes, I would like to see them make the playoffs. If we are a bubble team and decide to keep vets that we could get a decent return for, only to let the walk in the offseason once we are eliminated, then no, I would be a little disappointed.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Option #2 Don't tank
2015-2016
Lehkonen/Bozon/Hudon - Eller - Collberg/Andrighetto
Bournival - De la Rose - McCarron
Crisp - Dumont/White/Vail - Fournier / Holland

Tinordi - Subban
Emelin - Nygren/Gorges
Beaulieu - Pateryn

Price
Fucale/Budaj

Plus anybody we draft and/or UFA