Do you really want to Habs to make the playoffs?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Im indifferent,

if we make it, yay, always love a chance for a miracle run

if we dont, yay, draft pick

I have realized tho, that i love to watch playoff hockey regardless of if the habs are in them or not, in fact, if theres one thing i hate the most in the WORLD , is watching the habs in a playoff overtime, ****ing uselessly stressful, but THEN theres nothing i enjoy more in the world than watching a hockey playoff overtime game without the habs in it

i always wonder, ..could I, could WE, handle a stanley cup finals LOSS? lol and we all laughed at vancouver..........

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
If you are not a Stanley cup contender, there is absolutely no reason to lose good players for nothing. Markov, Diaz and Gionta must all either be re-sign before the trade deadline or be trade for good asset.

If Bergevin has no intention to re-sign Diaz and Gionta they should be trade at the trade deadline. They are not the difference between winning or not winning the Stanley Cup.

People should realize there is no award for losing in the first 3 round of the Playoff. The last time we tank we have got Galchenyuk, Thrower, De la Rose, Holland and Fucale. I found the tanking year more rewarding than the first round exit versus the Sens.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
If you are not a Stanley cup contender, there is absolutely no reason to lose good players for nothing. Markov, Diaz and Gionta must all either be re-sign before the trade deadline or be trade for good asset.

If Bergevin has no intention to re-sign Diaz and Gionta they should be trade at the trade deadline. They are not the difference between winning or not winning the Stanley Cup.

People should realize there is no award for losing in the first 3 round of the Playoff. The last time we tank we have got Galchenyuk, Thrower, De la Rose, Holland and Fucale. I found the tanking year more rewarding than the first round exit versus the Sens.

galchenyuk and thrower were from the tank year

the first round exit from the sens we got de la rose, and fucale

holland was in exchange for cammalleri

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
galchenyuk and thrower were from the tank year

the first round exit from the sens we got de la rose, and fucale

holland was in exchange for cammalleri

They are all tank move and trade. Thrower and De la Rose for Kostitsyn and Gill from Nashville picks and Bourque+prospect and pick for Cammaleri is a tanking move.

BigNumber1Centre

Mar 19, 2010
Alberta
I think having an entire team gain playoff experience, regardless of the results, is more beneficial than drafting a player high in the first round, unless said player is a franchise player.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes. The point is to win.
Just don't make stupid moves to reach playoffs, like giving 2nd rounders and keeping players that will become UFA.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I'll go with yes with the caveat we extend or deal the UFAs at the TDL

Not a fan of tanking but also not a fan of seeing guys walk for nada

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
You PLAY to WIN the GAME!

Our young guys need playoff experience and i honestly think we'd do well against Detroit or Boston in the playoffs.

Were a bubble team at the moment, but we have a great goalie and some solid players; if this team plays to its potential and gets hot, its very possible we could win a few rounds. If you actively don't want the habs to do well, gtfo of my fanbase.

/rant

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Yes. The point is to win.
Just don't make stupid moves to reach playoffs, like giving 2nd rounders and keeping players that will become UFA.

Exactly, the point is to win and not just make the playoff with no real chance to win the Stanley Cup. The main goal should be to build a Stanley cup contender and not only a playoff contender team.

Bergevin with a really crappy summer prevent the Habs to be a real Stanley cup contender this year. So Bergevin main goal should be building for the next years by trading Gionta and Diaz if he has no intention to retain them. If you are not good enough to win the war, you should take a step back and come back stronger with better assets.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If they're a bubble team, I'd rather do horribly, since I've got the Sharks to cheer for. If they're mid-high in the standings for playoff teams, **** yes!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
We are too good to tank. As I predicted a while back, our tanking window has closed.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
If you asked me this question four or five years ago I might have said yes. When you looked at our roster in 2008-09 it was clear that our core was made up of aging veterans and young players who didn't really have elite potential. At that time, while making the playoffs was still nice, and we played the bruins pretty tough, it was clear that the habs would have to go in a new direction if they wanted to be a long term and legitimate stanley cup contender. Instead they blew it up and re-tooled all over again to make another mediocre push at the postseason.

But now? I see absolutely no merit whatsoever in cheering for the short term failure of this franchise. Many of the players that will be integral to the long term success of the Habs are already on the NHL roster, and there is no doubt in my mind that the experience gained by winning now and playing meaningful postseason games is far more crucial to the long term success of the Habs than moving up a few spots in the draft.

It's not just that the Habs current core is young, which it is, its that there is some actual, bona fide elite talent at multiple positions. Guys like Subban, Galchenyuk, Price, Gallagher, Patcioretty and Eller all look like they could play meaningful roles on a stanley cup winning team in the future. To me, the progression of those players is far more important than drafting another prospect who may only be ready four years down the road.

Granted, i do not think that the Habs should be trading away young assets or picks at this stage, but i feel there are already enough prospects and young players in the system that the focus should be on developing what the Habs have. I think the best way to do that is to win, and win now. I also have faith in our scouting department's ability to find NHL talent even when not blessed with a top 5 pick.

I won't be upset if the Habs miss the playoffs this year as they are still very young and the team is still very much a work in progress, but I definitely want them playing important games come April, and think that it would be foolish to hope they miss the playoffs in order to improve their draft position by a few spots.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The Pens won the 1st overall pick in 2005. They had a 6.5% chance to get that pick due to the unique lottery system that took place because of the lockout. If they happen to end up with the 2nd overall pick instead, well, Malkin - Bobby Ryan is a nice duo, but it is nothing compared to Crosby and Malkin down the middle. They Drafted Jordan Staal in 2006 with the 2nd overall pick. Is he a great player? Yes. Is he an elite player? No.

The Hawks drafted Toews 3rd overall and Kane 1st overall. But was Keith a top 5 pick? Did they draft Hossa / Sharp with top 5 picks? Keith was a 2nd rounder and the latter two were acquired not drafted.

Odds are with a top 3 pick you should be able to draft a very good to elite game breaker. But you may also end up with a Turris, JVR, Erik Johnson, Ryan, J. Staal, etc. Would you appreciate wasting an entire season to end up drafting one of these players, when, with good scouting, you can draft similar players with mid to late 1st rounders and 2nd rounders?

Mostly, I agree with you, but still, I'd give up a season for Bobby Ryan for sure!

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
We are too good to tank. As I predicted a while back, our tanking window has closed.

This. It's not a tank job it's more a re-tool. I don't think we should trade this year guys like Plekanec, Bourque and Gorges but Bergevin should contemplate the idea of trading Gionta, Diaz and maybe Markov who are all UFA.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think we need to start scheduling our daily "Should We Tank?" threads, the same way we schedule GDTs.

And then we need a walk-in Psychotherapy Clinic. Geez, you guys need some fun in your lives...

:laugh: We need some good photoshop artists to make our tank threads.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This. It's not a tank job it's more a re-tool. I don't think we should trade this year guys like Plekanec, Bourque and Gorges but Bergevin should contemplate the idea of trading Gionta, Diaz and maybe Markov who are all UFA.

No UFA should ever walk for nothing unless he us marginal or a deadline pickup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad