Do You Guys Expect More From Lou?

HC7

May 2, 2018
Lamoriello and Trotz have proven to be highly intelligent and very successful managers in their storied hockey careers. Have they lost their minds and joined the Islanders as a result? Are we now seeing their newly developed absent-mindedness in action? Or is their perhaps a method to their madness? Which side of the fence are you on and why?

Why so many signings?
Perhaps they're stockpiling players to see which ones fall and which ones stick?
Maybe they want to shorten TOI to keep players fresh and healthy?
Maybe they're putting pieces in place ahead of a big upcoming trade or two?

Or are they just lunatics?
What do you think?

Considering the last time Lou won anything was about 2 decades ago I'm going to say he's a lunatic. He can change the culture of a team like nobody else, but he can't build a team for shit anymore.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Considering the last time Lou won anything was about 2 decades ago I'm going to say he's a lunatic. He can change the culture of a team like nobody else, but he can't build a team for **** anymore.

What is your definition of “anything” exactly? An LL team won the Eastern Conference as recently as 2012 (keeping in mind we haven’t played a Cup Final game since 1984)...

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Being prone to getting pinned in your own end and forced to defend most of your shifts doesn't make you a defensively-minded player.

It makes you a bad player.

Reactions: Frankie41987

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
What is your definition of “anything” exactly? An LL team won the Eastern Conference as recently as 2012 (keeping in mind we haven’t played a Cup Final game since 1984)...

That was more than six years ago. Loads of the league has turned over since then. It's not exactly a credential to hang your hat on going into the 2019 season.

I've concluded Lou is bad. Aside from Trotz, every single one of these moves would have had us frothing at the mouth of Snow did it. Hell, almost all of these moves (Hickey and Johnston extensions) are Garth Specials. The only one that really bears Lou's unique fingerprints is the ridiculous Komorov contract. D'oh.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
After all of these signings, the Isles have:

40 contracts (out of a possible 50)
$17 million of cap space (with only Nelson and Pulock to sign)
Re: the top 6 forwards, we have Bailey signed long-term, and Barzal/Beauvillier/JHS on the roster, and Bellows/Wahlstrom in the pipeline
With Lee and Eberle's (and Nelson's) future TBD
The season 2+ months away
Possibly a new GM taking over in about a week.

If he threw some crazy big money long-term contract at Stastny would we have been better off? Nothing he's done looks like a long-term albatross contract. Komarov is the closest, but $3 million for 4 years is not horrible by today's standards. Worst case that's a contract that can probably be dealt.

Relax.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
After all of these signings, the Isles have:

40 contracts (out of a possible 50)
$17 million of cap space (with only Nelson and Pulock to sign)
Re: the top 6 forwards, we have Bailey signed long-term, and Barzal/Beauvillier/JHS on the roster, and Bellows/Wahlstrom in the pipeline
With Lee and Eberle's (and Nelson's) future TBD
The season 2+ months away
Possibly a new GM taking over in about a week.

If he threw some crazy big money long-term contract at Stastny would we have been better off? Nothing he's done looks like a long-term albatross contract. Komarov is the closest, but $3 million for 4 years is not horrible by today's standards. Worst case that's a contract that can probably be dealt.

Relax.

Well said. And I would add that players like Komarov and Martin are also here to help mentor and guide young players. Martin probably for North American players and Komarov for Euro players coming through the system the next couple seasons.

They can be a big benefit to the growth and maturity of players trying to find their way and even help teach young vets like Barzal, Beauvillier, etc. Especially if they are struggling, they can add some perspective.

The other vets were brought in for depth and competition, to either protect young players from being rushed or, if the young players are ready, those vets shift to the press box or can be sent to the AHL, if roster space is needed. I would rather have Filpulla, Komarov, Martin, Kühnhackl, etc. mentoring young players than guys like Quine, Prince, Fritz, etc.

And, if they are claimed on waivers, then the contract is gone.

Reactions: doublechili

Isles Drive For 5

Aug 20, 2014
That was more than six years ago. Loads of the league has turned over since then. It's not exactly a credential to hang your hat on going into the 2019 season.

I've concluded Lou is bad. Aside from Trotz, every single one of these moves would have had us frothing at the mouth of Snow did it. Hell, almost all of these moves (Hickey and Johnston extensions) are Garth Specials. The only one that really bears Lou's unique fingerprints is the ridiculous Komorov contract. D'oh.

What you should consider, as several of us have been allluding to, is that Lou is rebuilding, which is absolutely the right thing to do right now. He knows signing all these players will make us a bad team this year, which he is allright with, because it is all part of the plan to tank for either hughes, or one of the other highly decorated centers that will be available in next years draft. At the same time, these players are character guys. They may lose simply because they will be out-talented night in and night out, but it won’t be from a lack of effort. These players will change the culture, and instill the right mentality in our young, budding star players. This way, we will be accomplishing two things at the same time; building the right enviornment, and loding up our system with a sick amount of young talent.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I am refrshing the screen and fear we are going to see confirmed with link on Tanner Glass for years or bringing Jesse Joensuu back from the KHL with 4 year deal today.

Goons and Euros... that is our offseason and one mouse

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
What you should consider, as several of us have been allluding to, is that Lou is rebuilding, which is absolutely the right thing to do right now. He knows signing all these players will make us a bad team this year, which he is allright with, because it is all part of the plan to tank for either hughes, or one of the other highly decorated centers that will be available in next years draft. At the same time, these players are character guys. They may lose simply because they will be out-talented night in and night out, but it won’t be from a lack of effort. These players will change the culture, and instill the right mentality in our young, budding star players. This way, we will be accomplishing two things at the same time; building the right enviornment, and loding up our system with a sick amount of young talent.

Some of these moves are compatible with rebuilding.

The Komorov and Johnston deals are not. Clogging roster spots, reducing flexibility, reducing the number of roles that could potentially be won by rookies--these aren't smart moves in a rebuild, unless you really really think a guy is instrumental in instilling the culture or style of play you want. I'm skeptical that describes these guys.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Johnston isn't clo
Some of these moves are compatible with rebuilding.

The Komorov and Johnston deals are not. Clogging roster spots, reducing flexibility, reducing the number of roles that could potentially be won by rookies--these aren't smart moves in a rebuild, unless you really really think a guy is instrumental in instilling the culture or style of play you want. I'm skeptical that describes these guys.
Johnston isn't clogging a roster spot. He can play the entire 4 years in Bridgeport and not count against the cap.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Johnston isn't clo

Johnston isn't clogging a roster spot. He can play the entire 4 years in Bridgeport and not count against the cap.

Exactly. I wouldn't want any of our kids to play on the 4th line anyway. Bellows, Wahlstrom, and Ho-Sang need to be deployed in scoring roles to maximize their abilities. The days of putting Nino on the 4th line with grinders shouldn't be returned to.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina

He was also at least a partial contributor to getting the TML mess turned around as well (2015-18).

He still enjoys enormous respect in the league. You can tell the guys on NHL Sirius are bemused by LLs activities this summer- but more from a “what’s he up to this time?” POV than slamming him. Haven’t heard anyone on the station or elsewhere in the media take the position that he won’t get the NYI turned around- just differing opinions on how long it will take.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Right now Lou needs:

– to sign Pulock,
– to convert the surplus of bottom-6 F to top-4 D.

So far, the lone brightspot of his tenure is Snow and Co out, Trotz in. That's all.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Everyone needs to cool down with their PTSD on this board. Scumbag leaving sucks but let's not be drama queens about this team. This is what we know so far.

GM - Lou who is a GIANT upgrade over Garth Snow
Coach - Trotz who is a GIANT upgrade over Doug Weight.
Forwards - 5 of 6 forwards that were in the top 6 are returning. Bottom six has been totally overhauled. Kovar is the wildcard.
Defense - Only loss is CDH. Jury is out until trade is made to bring in Top 4 dman
Goal - Lehner and Greiss will show big improvement over last year's mess due to A)Bottom six overhaul B)Revitalized coaching strategy as well as the eventual trade for a dman
Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Finally being managed in order to have a successful breeding ground for mid tier prospects. No longer will be a prospect graveyard.

What more do you people want?

Reactions: JKP and DonLou13

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The same was said about Ladd.

Filppula can't be waived due to NMC, am I correct?

With respect to Ladd, he was brought in by Snow (who is not exactly a sterling example of leadership acumen); Lou is bringing in Komarov and it sounds like he is a solid locker room guy. But back to Ladd, it will be interesting to see if he takes a more active role now that Pajama Party is gone.

I guess I should have been clearer, I was referring to the low-end contracts like Johnston, Martin, Kühnhackl, etc.

For Filppula, on a one-year deal, I would assume if it doesn't work out they would ask him to name some teams he might be interested in being traded to or just buy him out and send him on his way.

For Komarov, if his play slips and he is a significant detriment, I assume they scratch him more often than not or come up with an "injury" to get him off the active roster and free up a spot.

To your question, per an online source -

A player with a no-trade clause (NTC) or no-movement clause (NMC - cannot be placed on waivers or sent to minors) must accept a move by waiving his clause in order to be traded.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
And the draft
And Lehner
Snow would do the same: grab the guy falling to your laps, nothing special. There was no time for LL to prepare for this draft.

Lehner was literally the last available goalie of NHL-level quality. LL took him for near league min and for 1 year – great! Long Live Lou!

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Ladd was also a veteran to teach youngsters, he was supposed to be a solid locker room guy, and he got multiple cups as opposed to Leo Komarov, who won – I don't know? – a Gagarin? Why we need Komarov 12/4 with modified NTC on top of Ladd?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Ladd was also a veteran to teach youngsters, he was supposed to be a solid locker room guy, and he got multiple cups as opposed to Leo Komarov, who won – I don't know? – a Gagarin? Why we need Komarov 12/4 with modified NTC on top of Ladd?

I have said this in other posts but Komarov speaks English, Russian, Swedish and Finnish.

That is a strong asset to have, especially when you have a mix of international young prospects in your system like Sorokin, Soderstrom, Koivula, Golyshev, Iskharov (at UConn), Aho, Salo, etc.

I am sure it also won't hurt to have him around Kovar and Lehner either this season.

The guy has played all over the world. Winning medals/championships at the WJC's, the KHL, the World Championship's, Olympics, etc.

Hopefully he can recapture his 2015-16 form but, at a minimum, he can help. I would rather have him at the end of the roster than Shane Prince, Fritz or Bernier.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I have said this in other posts but Komarov speaks English, Russian, Swedish and Finnish.

That is a strong asset to have, especially when you have a mix of international young prospects in your system like Sorokin, Soderstrom, Koivula, Golyshev, Iskharov (at UConn), Aho, Salo, etc.

I am sure it also won't hurt to have him around Kovar and Lehner either this season.

The guy has played all over the world. Winning medals/championships at the WJC's, the KHL, the World Championship's, Olympics, etc.

Hopefully he can recapture his 2015-16 form but, at a minimum, he can help. I would rather have him at the end of the roster than Shane Prince, Fritz or Bernier.
I also speak English, Russian, and some Swedish (but not Finnish, unfortunately). And I can skate. So what?

He is ******* 3 million guy for 4 years with 7 team no trade clause. It's ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00